Incandescent basking bulb. What else can I use?

mylittlecholla

Location (City and/or State)
Fillmore, California
Tom suggested a 65 watt incandescent flood bulb, but since they're no longer available in California, what's the next best thing for now ?

Also we need to know what wattage that "next-best-thing" should have. And to be sure we have the right base for whatever it is.

Also, the RHP . . . where is it best and most safely placed in the night box. Sorry I'm confused, but I've read conflicting hings.

Son-in-law who's building the torotise house is coming over again soon and will probably will be miffed that I don't have the above info already.

BTW: This is a great forum, and I'm so grateful. Consulting with y'all most certainly is preserving my Cholla's life and health. The elderly tortoise breeder I got her from was not responding to my queries (I'm praying she's okay!) So you guys are a gift from heaven!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings...

On your RHP question, based on Tom’s build outs of many, and two that I have built, locating the RHP on the inside of the roof seems to work best. Screw the RHP into the roof and the heat gently emanates down and out.
iIn the night boxes ive built, i place them on the roof furthest away from the entrance.

Here are some photos. The last photo shows the RHP mounted, but you can’t tell the orientation. You want it inside the roof, hanging down. Hope that helps.

The RHP is mounted FAR LEFT so there‘s a nice warm dark corner back in there.

Attachments

• B3A46711-C9D4-4A1F-A88A-1C312E62DCE8.jpeg
    B3A46711-C9D4-4A1F-A88A-1C312E62DCE8.jpeg
    794.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 16C2AAC6-E369-4108-BC31-F977B1CB5B1C.jpeg
    16C2AAC6-E369-4108-BC31-F977B1CB5B1C.jpeg
    817.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 72D07FDB-26DC-4E41-8C2C-B30D0D27C7BC.jpeg
    72D07FDB-26DC-4E41-8C2C-B30D0D27C7BC.jpeg
    424.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 8077B9B6-0E98-46DB-B126-51AEF126B202.jpeg
    8077B9B6-0E98-46DB-B126-51AEF126B202.jpeg
    703.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 86334290-FF06-4411-BAE7-54F4706DBBCF.jpeg
    86334290-FF06-4411-BAE7-54F4706DBBCF.jpeg
    1,009.7 KB · Views: 31

mylittlecholla

Fillmore, California
Duh. I went back to look at Tom's pix and it looks like the radiant heat panel (not CHE) is on the ceiling. I was confused by the next photo in Tom's posting, which shows a red mat on the floor. I thought that might be the heat panel--shows how much I know. Son-in-law would've corrected me, but he isn't here yet. Good thing. He would have scoffed at me.

mylittlecholla

Fillmore, California
Greetings...

On your RHP question, based on Tom’s build outs of many, and two that I have built, locating the RHP on the inside of the roof seems to work best. Screw the RHP into the roof and the heat gently emanates down and out.
iIn the night boxes ive built, i place them on the roof furthest away from the entrance.

Here are some photos. The last photo shows the RHP mounted, but you can’t tell the orientation. You want it inside the roof, hanging down. Hope that helps.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Duh. I went back to look at Tom's pix and it looks like the radiant heat panel (not CHE) is on the ceiling. I was confused by the next photo in Tom's posting, which shows a red mat on the floor. I thought that might be the heat panel--shows how much I know. Son-in-law would've corrected me, but he isn't here yet. Good thing. He would have scoffed at me.

Correct. RHP on the roof, your Kane heat mat (red) on the floor. Both connected to your thermostat, with the temperature probe.

mylittlecholla

Fillmore, California
Just curious. Where are you planning to put/use the basking bulb? For your nightbox, you only need your RHP, heat matt/pad & thermostat.

Hmmm. As I understand it, it's so they can bask in their their tortoise house during spells of dark weather, rain, etc.
But I'm a newbie at this and could easily be confused or mistaken.. Your comments are most welcome,

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
It is a nightbox just for safe overnighting and in case a severe weather day. BTW yours doesn’t look like it’s insulated?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Hmmm. As I understand it, it's so they can bask in their their tortoise house during spells of dark weather, rain, etc.
But I'm a newbie at this and could easily be confused or mistaken.. Your comments are most welcome,

So, your “nightbox” is boing to be outside in a much larger area where your tort walks about, eats & grazes. Looking at Fillmore, CA, looks like a pretty sunny part all year-round. The night box is made for your tort to have a nice dark, secure, warm burrow to be in at night. Safe & warm. You know your weather better than me, but the sunshine should be fine.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
It is a nightbox just for safe overnighting and in case a severe weather day. BTW yours doesn’t look like it’s insulated?

Correct. This “nightbox” is the indoor nightbox that I use inside our house during Winter. My other nightbox is outside for Summer.

mylittlecholla

Fillmore, California
So, your “nightbox” is boing to be outside in a much larger area where your tort walks about, eats & grazes. Looking at Fillmore, CA, looks like a pretty sunny part all year-round. The night box is made for your tort to have a nice dark, secure, warm burrow to be in at night. Safe & warm. You know your weather better than me, but the sunshine should be fine.
Thanks for your response--even doing the research on our weather. :cool:
Not having to find and install an appropriate basking bulb would certainly make things simpler.

mylittlecholla

Fillmore, California

Thanks for the feedback; it's much appreciated. Our box definitely will be insulated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom suggested a 65 watt incandescent flood bulb, but since they're no longer available in California, what's the next best thing for now ?

Also we need to know what wattage that "next-best-thing" should have. And to be sure we have the right base for whatever it is.

Also, the RHP . . . where is it best and most safely placed in the night box. Sorry I'm confused, but I've read conflicting hings.

Son-in-law who's building the torotise house is coming over again soon and will probably will be miffed that I don't have the above info already.

BTW: This is a great forum, and I'm so grateful. Consulting with y'all most certainly is preserving my Cholla's life and health. The elderly tortoise breeder I got her from was not responding to my queries (I'm praying she's okay!) So you guys are a gift from heaven!
You got the RHP question answered, but I want to add to it. For a small tortoise like yours, its best to get the RHP closer to the tortoise. I make little 2x4 extensions attached to the lid to get the RHP lower in the box. Like this:
IMG_1870.JPG

Or this:
IMG_1931.JPG

Your next question: There isn't a suitable substitute for the basking bulb. You need a flood, and it needs to be an incandescent. The ones sold at pet and reptile stores are spots. These are no good, overpriced, and will make your tortoise pyramid. CHEs emit no light. Florescent or LEDs emit no heat. Brooder bulbs for chicks are WAY too high wattage and will literally cook your tortoise. 65 watt bulbs work for perfectly in our area. Not too hot, not too cool. I only use the bulb in the outdoor boxes when the weather is cold and overcast, and I don't want the tortoise to hibernate yet, or after I've brought it out of hibernation in March or April and then we get those weird 50 degree rainy days in May that always happen. You know what I'm taking about. Winter always punishes us with one more cold week every May. For years it was always the week my daughter had her swimming lessons. You can use it all winter long if you don't want to hibernate your baby. You will have to order them from out of state. I have a wonderful friend in GA that orders them on Amazon, and then puts my address as the shipping destination. So far this has been working. It can be anyone anywhere in the country except CA. If you get stuck and can't make this work, I'll help you out. We can meet in the middle. You ever go to the Walmart at Newhall Ranch Road when you come into SCV? I meet people there all the time.

When the days are sunny, set your thermostat to about 65-70 if you don't want your tortoise to hibernate. Then he/she can come out and bask in the sun during the day and not get too cold at night. When the days are cold or overcast, use the basking bulb. The basking bulb will warm the whole box up into the high 70s or low 80s and keep the other heat sources off. Then at night when the timer kicks the heat lamp off, the RHP and heat mat will let the night temp drop, but not too much. In late spring and summer, you can unplug the whole thing until fall.

mylittlecholla

Fillmore, California
You got the RHP question answered, but I want to add to it. For a small tortoise like yours, its best to get the RHP closer to the tortoise. I make little 2x4 extensions attached to the lid to get the RHP lower in the box. Like this:
View attachment 310969

Or this:
View attachment 310970

Your next question: There isn't a suitable substitute for the basking bulb. You need a flood, and it needs to be an incandescent. The ones sold at pet and reptile stores are spots. These are no good, overpriced, and will make your tortoise pyramid. CHEs emit no light. Florescent or LEDs emit no heat. Brooder bulbs for chicks are WAY too high wattage and will literally cook your tortoise. 65 watt bulbs work for perfectly in our area. Not too hot, not too cool. I only use the bulb in the outdoor boxes when the weather is cold and overcast, and I don't want the tortoise to hibernate yet, or after I've brought it out of hibernation in March or April and then we get those weird 50 degree rainy days in May that always happen. You know what I'm taking about. Winter always punishes us with one more cold week every May. For years it was always the week my daughter had her swimming lessons. You can use it all winter long if you don't want to hibernate your baby. You will have to order them from out of state. I have a wonderful friend in GA that orders them on Amazon, and then puts my address as the shipping destination. So far this has been working. It can be anyone anywhere in the country except CA. If you get stuck and can't make this work, I'll help you out. We can meet in the middle. You ever go to the Walmart at Newhall Ranch Road when you come into SCV? I meet people there all the time.

When the days are sunny, set your thermostat to about 65-70 if you don't want your tortoise to hibernate. Then he/she can come out and bask in the sun during the day and not get too cold at night. When the days are cold or overcast, use the basking bulb. The basking bulb will warm the whole box up into the high 70s or low 80s and keep the other heat sources off. Then at night when the timer kicks the heat lamp off, the RHP and heat mat will let the night temp drop, but not too much. In late spring and summer, you can unplug the whole thing until fall.

Thanks again for the enormously helpful advice and photos. I was actually just wondering about whether a flush to the ceiling application might be too high up to keep my little critter sufficiently warm, and lo and behold, you anticipated my question! And I appreciate your offer to help out with the incandescent by passing one on to us Before I inconvenience you,
Not sure. I know why CA did this, BUT one would think for some purposes, they would be ok. Wonder what farmers keeping chicks now use. ?
Correct. RHP on the roof, your Kane heat mat (red) on the floor. Both connected to your thermostat, with the temperature probe.

Greetings...

mylittlecholla

Fillmore, California
View attachment 310969

Or this:
View attachment 310970

mylittlecholla

Fillmore, California
Tom: I was going to say, before I hit the wrong button, is that before I inconvenience you with a Walmart hand off, I'm going to ask someone in Oregon if she'll do the Amazon shipping thing you suggested. For some reason I hadn't thought of her as a source.

Black market bulbs. Sheesh.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
View attachment 310969

Or this:
View attachment 310970

Good idea on the little hanging brackets. Our Sully is pretty large now, so mounting right into the roof worked well. Like a lot of these builds, it’s really best to adapt to your particular situation (location, tortoise type, weather, etc).

Good luck on your build.