Inconsistent Russian Tort (sleeps a lot)

JJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bristol
I have had Flash for 3 months now and he is a year old. I live in the UK. I did a ton of research before I got him to make sure I was totally ready which took a good few months.

At first when I bought him home he slept a lot and I figured he was just settling in.

Then he got into a routine of getting up in the morning, basking, eating, basking etc. I would let him out in the garden for an hour in the afternoon and he would go back to bed at around 2.30-3.00pm and not get up until the following morning.

Recently his whole routine seems to have gone to pot. Like today for instance, he hasn't got up all day - not even for food.

He is fed on weeds and safe to eat garden flowers - which I sprinkle with limestone flour and nutrobal everyday (is that too much) and I bathe him 3 times a week.

He pees and poos regularly. Eyes and nose clear

Do I need to be worried? Or am I being a nervouse first time tort mum!

Attachments

• 1407782034616.jpg
    1407782034616.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 1407782054280.jpg
    1407782054280.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 1407782082752.jpg
    1407782082752.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 13

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
every day is too much :) Two-three times a week is better. He could alsp try a cuttle bone (if you don't have one)
I find my (adult) russian swings around into hyper active (running around all day every day) active (his usual routine) and lazy (shortest, where he usual sleeps for hours on end)
Each of his phases lasts about a week, and during each one he eats different amounts. Sucah in his hyper phase he likes to eat sometimes, when tomorrow he will mos likely ignore all his food. In his active phase, he eats a nice amount in the morning, and goes to finish it off later. In his lazy phase, I have to get him up to eat, soak, ect. It took my tort a year to establish his routine, and stick to it. I find that if I miss a time, or feed him a little later, he gets really confused and has to start all over again :D
And occasional he just gets inconsistent as me (oops) but it usually sorts out in a week :)
If he gets perky again soon, he is just figuring everything out, but if he stays in-active then I would consider a vet visit.

JJ

5 Year Member
Bristol
Sounds familiar! Thank you so much. I will lessen the supplements to 3 times a week and see how that goes. He does have a cuttlebone in there that he occasionally goes to.

His light comes on at 7am and his food is always ready for when he wakes up.

I always feel bad waking him up but I guess if I do it at the same time each day it will get him into a routine.

I will give it a go.

Thanks again