Increase humidity in indoor enclosure

greenduck

Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Hello!
I have been working on improving my 10 year old Russian Tortoise's' enclosure and would love some tips on increasing humidity. His substrate is coco coir mixed with reptile bark and I spray it with water daily. When I measure the humidity not long after spraying it is good, but later in the day it gets too dry and I am worried. Any tips on ways to keep it moist longer? My partner suggested adding a second dish and maybe putting a sponge in it (he currently has one terracotta dish on his cooler side with water).

thank you!
Nicki

_The_Beast_

Canada
Can you share more information about your enclosure, including size, lighting, temps, and what humidity you achieve and what you're trying to reach? Adults need lower humidity than hatchlings and knowing more details about the current set up will help folks provide relevant feedback 🙂

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Spraying never works. Pour warm water into the substrate. How much, you will have to judge. Pour it into the corners and it will wet the underneath.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello!
I have been working on improving my 10 year old Russian Tortoise's' enclosure and would love some tips on increasing humidity. His substrate is coco coir mixed with reptile bark and I spray it with water daily. When I measure the humidity not long after spraying it is good, but later in the day it gets too dry and I am worried. Any tips on ways to keep it moist longer? My partner suggested adding a second dish and maybe putting a sponge in it (he currently has one terracotta dish on his cooler side with water).

thank you!
Nicki
Yep. What Wellington said. Spraying the surface does very little. You need to dump water into the substrate.

Covering the top will also help hold in humidity and reduce moisture loss from the substrate.

greenduck

Oregon
Thanks! So just dump water daily ? Or as needed to get humidity appropriate (which, from my understanding is about 50% for an adult)? Top is half covered but I can investigate covering more. Really appreciate your tips!
Yep. What Wellington said. Spraying the surface does very little. You need to dump water into the substrate.

Covering the top will also help hold in humidity and reduce moisture loss from the substrate.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks! So just dump water daily ? Or as needed to get humidity appropriate (which, from my understanding is about 50% for an adult)? Top is half covered but I can investigate covering more. Really appreciate your tips!
How much water and how often varies with each enclosure, and varies seasonally too. You have to go by feel. Russians can tolerate a wide range.

greenduck

Oregon
How much water and how often varies with each enclosure, and varies seasonally too. You have to go by feel. Russians can tolerate a wide range.
Just to follow up, I think this approach worked great. Thanks!

Reactions: Tom