Incubating Golden Greek Eggs

Ramirezm2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Elk Grove CA
Hello,

My female golden greek laid some eggs today In her outdoor enclosure. They all look nice and healthy but wasn’t 100% on the proper incubation regarding temperature and humidity. I will be using vermiculite for the substrate and use either a zoomed or exo terra incubator. I have successfully hatched bearded dragons and also veiled chameleons in the past so I’m sure I am more than capable of doing it. Any tips or advice would be awesome!

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
For Testudo graeca:

Eggs should be incubated within a temperature range of 81°F (encourages more male gender) and 89°F (encourages more female gender).

Humidity needs to be around 70-80%.

Incubation lasts 60-80 days.

Make sure the incubator is a "still air" type and not a rotating type. If the eggs are turned at all during development, the embryo will detach from inside the egg wall and die.

Mark the tops of the eggs very lightly with a pencil. This helps you to know which end is up since the egg must stay in that position during incubation. Lots of breeders also write the date the egg was laid.

If the eggs are fertile, they will begin to chalk after a few weeks. In about 20 days you might notice the red blood vessels when you candle the egg. In 30 days you should start to see the embryo when candling. It's very important to leave the eggs alone. Be careful when candling, and don't do it too often. Never move the eggs around or turn them.

Good luck!

Ramirezm2

5 Year Member
Elk Grove CA
For Testudo graeca:

Eggs should be incubated within a temperature range of 81°F (encourages more male gender) and 89°F (encourages more female gender).

Humidity needs to be around 70-80%.

Incubation lasts 60-80 days.

Make sure the incubator is a "still air" type and not a rotating type. If the eggs are turned at all during development, the embryo will detach from inside the egg wall and die.

Mark the tops of the eggs very lightly with a pencil. This helps you to know which end is up since the egg must stay in that position during incubation. Lots of breeders also write the date the egg was laid.

If the eggs are fertile, they will begin to chalk after a few weeks. In about 20 days you might notice the red blood vessels when you candle the egg. In 30 days you should start to see the embryo when candling. It's very important to leave the eggs alone. Be careful when candling, and don't do it too often. Never move the eggs around or turn them.

Good luck!

Awesome! Sounds very simple. Thanks for the info