Incubation help

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Miami, Florida
I've been breeding red foots for about 6 years now, and I've never once incubated eggs :). The few times I've tried had been utter failures, but looking back on what I did now I had no clue what I was doing. I'm not afraid to admit it, incubation is one thing I've always failed with in tortoises...
Well, now I'm moving to a more rural area of florida, and raccoons are going to be a problem. So it's time to incubate!
I have an old hovabator, but I don't even think it works anymore. I would like to get something more professional that monitors humidity and temp's better. I'm looking at the reptibator by ZooMed. Anyone have experience with this type of incubator?
As far as I know, I would guess 87F temperatures and 80+% humidity? What about air flow? Ventilation? Some breeders I see use open-topped containers in the incubator, and others closed containers with a few holes punched in. I've heard tales of air flow directly over the eggs drying them out.
Substrate? The one I heard I liked the sound of the most was vermiculite, peat moss and spaghum moss mixed together. Also, the eggs should be left with the top 1/3-1/4 uncovered, correct?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
I have had great success with the reptibator. I do 84-88 depending on which redfoot. Bolivians work better warmer. Vermiculite and sphagnum moss are mediums for reds. Airflow I just open incubator few times a eeek to check on eggs and gives new air.

Status
Not open for further replies.