Incubator temperature and humidity

kazjimmy

Location (City and/or State)
baldwin park
Why am I always get the sulcata baby hatch out on 75 day when I have them place on high humidity incubator? 88f/80%

Any one have this problem?

IMG_1599.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My leopard tortoises take 5 or 6 months to hatch at 88F degrees. I'm tempted to set the heat up a bit for the next batch.

kazjimmy

baldwin park
My leopard tortoises take 5 or 6 months to hatch at 88F degrees. I'm tempted to set the heat up a bit for the next batch.

My hatch method were very old school. Some will hatch out 6-7 days later. Someone told me they already using the aim temperature to every sign eggs by using small led to the eggs. Just like hatch a bird or chicken. Maybe you can try that out to reduce your hatch time.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
What do you mean by "problem"? What is your concern?

I have extremely accurate and stable temperature and humidity in my incubators for TSD studies. Proportional thermostats and higher end, redundant thermometers/hygrometers. For my sulcata eggs, they always hatch at 82-88 days. This year's were done at 89.5° and 85%-90% humidity. 84 days to hatch with no scute abnormalities at all.

You have something different going on with a 75 day hatch, I would check your thermomters' accuracy and/or daily spikes in temperatures. Do you monitor temps with sensors and reading every 5 or 15 minutes to see what is actually happening during the course of a day. You will be surprised over simply looking at a high/low a few times a day. Do you get any extra/abnormal scute hatchlings?