Indian Star Hatching--Sleeps within 8in of Basking Lamp Constantly

Allie_B.

Location (City and/or State)
Jeffersonville, IN
Hi,

I am a first-time tortoise mom to two now 3 month old babies. I am concerned about my Indian star who always--I mean always--sleeps in a corner that is only 8 inches from the basking lamp. Directly under the basking lamp is usually at a temp of 115. The wooden enclosure from left to right temp ranges are: Left most side (8 inches from backing lamp) low 90s, to 115 under basking lamp, to upper 70's, to at about 70 to the far most right. Sometimes the corner she sleeps in might fall from low 90's to upper 80's.

I try to keep the humidity between 60-65 but it often falls to 45-55. My other tortoise only basks under the lamp here and there but never sleeps close to it.

Unity--her name--has done this since the first day I got her...almost 3 months ago. I am just concerned, I am always afraid she is going to over heat. I often find myself moving her a little farer away, but later she seems to always find her way back there.

Am I doing something wrong here? Should I be worried? Any thoughts would be great.

Thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

The way your refer to "two 3 month old babies" then refer to "my indian star" makes me think the other tortoise is a different species. Are they both in the same enclosure? Read this about mixing species: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/mixing-species.70250/

Also about keeping only two tortoises in the same enclosure: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/w...together-a-lesson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/

Your tortoise has obviously decided that particular corner is where he feels the safest. Move the light over, away from the corner, and place another hiding place in that spot.

Welcome to the Forum! We're glad to have you here. I'd love to see pictures of your tortoise set up.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Rearrange your setup with the hide in corner your Tort is sleeping in and move the lamp elsewhere. See if that works or if he moves and starts sleeping wherever you move the lamp.