Indian star hatchling health

Fatnick96

About 2 weeks ago I purchased a Indian star. He's about 12 weeks old . When I first got him he was very energetic and would crawl around everywhere. After first week of having him I noticed he sorta got slower and eat less. He use to eat mazuri. But now won't eat anything but greens. I spray the greens with calcium supplement cus he wont eat mazuri. When he wakes up now I notice he struggles to open his eyes and when he does get them open they are a bit bubbly. And sometimes I do notice bubbles come from his nose but not often. He does sleep more than usual now. And when I take him outside he just crawls into a bush and sleeps. His temp is kept at 85 but under the light is around 95. Huminity level is usually around 50%. I'm worried because I can tell he is sluggish. I'm no expert. this is my first tortoise. Any help will be greatly appreciated.. Thank you.

Linhdan Nguyen

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Can you tell us more about his enclosure as well as provide pictures? And is the 85F constant day and night? How often do you soak him?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
About 2 weeks ago I purchased a Indian star. He's about 12 weeks old . When I first got him he was very energetic and would crawl around everywhere. After first week of having him I noticed he sorta got slower and eat less. He use to eat mazuri. But now won't eat anything but greens. I spray the greens with calcium supplement cus he wont eat mazuri. When he wakes up now I notice he struggles to open his eyes and when he does get them open they are a bit bubbly. And sometimes I do notice bubbles come from his nose but not often. He does sleep more than usual now. And when I take him outside he just crawls into a bush and sleeps. His temp is kept at 85 but under the light is around 95. Huminity level is usually around 50%. I'm worried because I can tell he is sluggish. I'm no expert. this is my first tortoise. Any help will be greatly appreciated.. Thank you.

How are you heating and lighting this baby? What are you using for overnight heat? UV? What type?

Have you been soaking daily?

Calcium should only be used a couple of times a week in small amounts.. Using it daily can interfere with the absorption of other minerals and trace elements.

How was this baby started before you got it? Wet routine or dry?

Fatnick96

Can you tell us more about his enclosure as well as provide pictures? And is the 85F constant day and night? How often do you soak him?
He is kept in a 20 gallon aquarium with forest mulch bedding. with two lamps on top one for night and one for day . I've been soaking him almost every day sometimes every other day. Yes the temp is constant.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
What kind of bulbs are you using? Is there a uvb bulb? The humidity needs to be much higher than 50%
What kinds of greens is he eating?
The bubbles sound like a RI but that usually happrns when a tortoise is kept cold, not warm.
Answering tom's questions about how the baby was raised before you got him could help determine the issue.
Make sure you soak him daily for 20-30 mins in warm water. As a baby, its important for him to be hydrated, especially when hes sick.

Fatnick96

How are you heating and lighting this baby? What are you using for overnight heat? UV? What type?

Have you been soaking daily?

Calcium should only be used a couple of times a week in small amounts.. Using it daily can interfere with the absorption of other minerals and trace elements.

How was this baby started before you got it? Wet routine or dry?
I have been soaking him often. I use a 120watt uv heat bulb I got from store . And also a purple heat bulb that i use for the night . When I got him the breeder said she would soak them everyday and used grass hay bedding .

Fatnick96

What kind of bulbs are you using? Is there a uvb bulb? The humidity needs to be much higher than 50%
What kinds of greens is he eating?
The bubbles sound like a RI but that usually happrns when a tortoise is kept cold, not warm.
Answering tom's questions about how the baby was raised before you got him could help determine the issue.
Make sure you soak him daily for 20-30 mins in warm water. As a baby, its important for him to be hydrated, especially when hes sick.
I have him eating all kinds because the tortoise food I got is mixed veggies . He mostly eats the green leafy ones but stays away from all the other veggies . Today he finally at a bite of Mizuri tortoise food but not much. What should the humidity be at? And how do I change the humidity in his environment ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California