Indian Star in Tropical Climate?

yusufning

Location (City and/or State)
Jakarta
Hi,

Im considering getting a Indian Star tortoise to add to my tortoise collection. My question is that I have been hearing from Kamp Kenan who live in Florida and said IStar just dont thrive in humid and rainy environment and stopped having them as pet.

I live in Jakarta where it is warm (28C' average all year) but it does rain half of the year. Can I keep this tortoise outside full-year around (i prefer having them outdoor fullyear around)? or should I look for another species?

Thanks

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Hi @yusufning I keep a group of stars outdoors all year and I live in Florida. Kenan, while a nice guy, has husbandry methods that are dated, but can get away with it because Florida has naturally high humidity and milder weather temperatures.

My stars thrive here in the high humidity. I have a younger female that has been growing like a weed (over 1.5" plastron) in the last 1.5 years I have had her, and the growth is smooth. I always make sure they have access to an insulated house which has a heating element set to 30 celsius if they want to warm up, especially if it raining or chilly.

yusufning

Jakarta
I live in Guadeloupe, Caribbean island, and my four Indian stars are doing very well.

Thanks for the reply. You keep them outdoor all year? Did you have any special heated area or some sort? Also, what do you do during the rainy season? Still eave them outside is fine?

gaveau yohann

Guadeloupe
Thanks for the reply. You keep them outdoor all year? Did you have any special heated area or some sort? Also, what do you do during the rainy season? Still eave them outside is fine?

My 4 Indian stars are outside all year, in December January the minimum we have here is 20 degrees Celsius, 68 degrees Fahrenheit during the nights and during the days it goes to 28 C/ 82 F. When the rainy season it can be tricky, because their enclosure can be full of water, so I bring them inside, also when we have rain nonstop for 4 or 5 days.

They are 2 1/2 old and they are entering their third rainy season. During the first year during the wet season they were inside, second year they were outside and no problem, certainly because it is not wet and cold here. They also have plenty of place to hide and feel dry in their enclosure despite of the rain.

They had some kind of shell rot, was it because of the rain? I do not know. My guess? It was because of the soil, at that time it was bare earth and obviously mud when it rains but now they have grasses everywhere in their enclosure, they are recovering, they are as new or almost.

edwin05

5 Year Member
Hi,

Im considering getting a Indian Star tortoise to add to my tortoise collection. My question is that I have been hearing from Kamp Kenan who live in Florida and said IStar just dont thrive in humid and rainy environment and stopped having them as pet.

I live in Jakarta where it is warm (28C' average all year) but it does rain half of the year. Can I keep this tortoise outside full-year around (i prefer having them outdoor fullyear around)? or should I look for another species?

Thanks

yes it is ok. I lived in Jakarta as well and kept 3 indian star tortoise, all is full outdoor with shading and some hiding area. I have started to put them outdoor when reaching 12cm+ size.

yusufning

Jakarta
yes it is ok. I lived in Jakarta as well and kept 3 indian star tortoise, all is full outdoor with shading and some hiding area. I have started to put them outdoor when reaching 12cm+ size.
Thats good to hear. Can you post a picture of your enclosure here? Thanks