indian star tortoise baby eye issue :(

juziez

M from India.... Just got a Indian star tortiose a month ago ... since last two days the eye of him is something kind of this as shown in the pic please help what can be done..the eye shown are open eye ...

WP_20140406_020.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Unless you are using a coil type bulb, which will cause eye problems, I don't know what else it may be. Maybe others will have an idea, otherwise I would find a good reptile vet to check it out. Good luck.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

You're not keeping the baby warm enough. He needs to be in a habitat that you have control over the temperature inside. Sorry about using Farenheit, but I'm too old to convert. The temp inside the habitat needs to be at least 80F over all, with it being about 105F directly under the light. He also needs UVB, which you get either from the sun or from an expensive UVB light bulb. Star tortoises take benefit from a bit of moisture in the habitat, so you should keep him on a substrate that you can moisten.

So, to try to help the eye issue, put the baby in warm water for about 15 minutes. Have the water to come up to the middle of the baby's sides. This way he doesn't have to strain to keep his head out of the water.

Like Wellington said, if you're using a Compact Fluorescent Bulb in the spiral shape, or a coiled bulb, stop using that immediately. They cause painful eyes.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I see a lot of assumptions being made here...

Are both eyes closed?

If only one is closed it is likely that the tortoise has gotten something in his eye. Oddly enough, my star tortoise just had something similar occur after getting coconut coir in his eye. I soaked several times a day and gently (very, very gently) swabbed the eye with terramycin twice a day. It took about three days for his eye to open completely and the swelling to go down.

Roddy

Mauritius
I see a lot of assumptions being made here...

Are both eyes closed?

If only one is closed it is likely that the tortoise has gotten something in his eye. Oddly enough, my star tortoise just had something similar occur after getting coconut coir in his eye. I soaked several times a day and gently (very, very gently) swabbed the eye with terramycin twice a day. It took about three days for his eye to open completely and the swelling to go down.

Sruthi

Hyderabad
I use soil for bedding...but my tortoise is not opening his one eye for one day...what can I do to treat it..???