Indian star tortoise not eating anything else

jatin sharma

Location (City and/or State)
Delhi
Hey.. I have male Indian star tortoise. He eats only lady finger and cucumber. From last 15 days I'm trying hard to give him other leaves and flowers which are given on the various thread on this forum like flower and leaves of hibiscus, rose, coriander,mulberry etc. but he isn't eating them. He is so stubborn that he is ready to remain starve for 1-2 day if I'm giving him something else but then when I give him cucumber and lady finger he eats them like anything. What to do so that he can eat other things also.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Hey.. I have male Indian star tortoise. He eats only lady finger and cucumber. From last 15 days I'm trying hard to give him other leaves and flowers which are given on the various thread on this forum like flower and leaves of hibiscus, rose, coriander,mulberry etc. but he isn't eating them. He is so stubborn that he is ready to remain starve for 1-2 day if I'm giving him something else but then when I give him cucumber and lady finger he eats them like anything. What to do so that he can eat other things also.

Try mixing the cucumbers in with the other foods so that to take a bite of the cucumber, he has to eat everything else too. Over time, reduce the amount of cucumber until there is none mixed in. Good luck! :)

jatin sharma

Delhi
Try mixing the cucumbers in with the other foods so that to take a bite of the cucumber, he has to eat everything else too. Over time, reduce the amount of cucumber until there is none mixed in. Good luck! :)
I did this also. When I'm gave him salad of other things with cucumber he didn't eat anything. [emoji52]

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I did this also. When I'm gave him salad of other things with cucumber he didn't eat anything. [emoji52]

Huh. Okay, maybe try feeding cucumber, but hid other things inside it? Like, carve it out and put stuff in it and close it back up. This is probably a really stupid suggestion and I've never seen people try it before lol

I think you're best bet would be to feed cucumber with a small amounts of the other stuff mixed in, and slowly increase the amount of stuff you mix in. Or, do that, and if he doesn't eat it, just replace it every day until he does. Tortoises can go weeks without eating, so a little while won't hurt.

jatin sharma

Delhi
Huh. Okay, maybe try feeding cucumber, but hid other things inside it? Like, carve it out and put stuff in it and close it back up. This is probably a really stupid suggestion and I've never seen people try it before lol

I think you're best bet would be to feed cucumber with a small amounts of the other stuff mixed in, and slowly increase the amount of stuff you mix in. Or, do that, and if he doesn't eat it, just replace it every day until he does. Tortoises can go weeks without eating, so a little while won't hurt.
Yeah I'm doing this only [emoji23] I carve him for cucumber and lady finger and then putting other things in his mouth [emoji16]