Indian star tortoise too scared to come out!

Tes

Location (City and/or State)
The Netherlands
Nd can I soak them everyday for 10mins in winter season also...????

Perhaps if you start your own thread, with some pictures of your tortoise and your enclosure, and some more information regarding your husbandry (type of lichting, temperatures, humidity). I'm sure the people on here can provide you with good and helpful information for you and your tort.

Sruthi

Hyderabad
Perhaps if you start your own thread, with some pictures of your tortoise and your enclosure, and some more information regarding your husbandry (type of lichting, temperatures, humidity). I'm sure the people on here can provide you with good and helpful information for you and your tort.
I live in india...so it's cold over here...I soak my tortoise once in a week...nd I have an indoor housing...but I keep my tortoise outdoor every morning for abt an one nd hr...
I feed it with vegs like carrot, spring onions, cucumber, dhanya every morning...but he doesn't eat daily...he eats alternate days...
Hes so shy he will be hiding and sleeping in his cave everytime...
I bought it back a month...he doesn't come out of his shell alot...if I keep him outside of his house he walks a bit and searches for a corner and sleeps again...I'm concerned abt him...

Attachments

• IMG_20210123_165129.jpg
    IMG_20210123_165129.jpg
    821.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20210123_165117.jpg
    IMG_20210123_165117.jpg
    868.9 KB · Views: 14

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nd can I soak them everyday for 10mins in winter season also...????
If you are housing them correctly, the season doesn't matter because your enclosure is closed and temperature controlled.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Im I housing them correctly...???
No. Not at all. That is why it doesn't want to eat and you are worried about soaking it in winter. Read the care sheet for housing, substrate, food and temperature guidance. They need it hot and humid. Monsoon conditions. They also need a large enclosure to walk around in. Questions are welcome.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Thank u...but wha to do if my tortoise don't eat it's food regularly
@Tom @Yvonne G

You can email them directly on this site using the toggle selections on this site. Soaking your baby in warm water daily is important so they can hydrate, defecate & pee. Having a water dish in their pen is a must, even if you have to clean it out during the day. As to feeding, its care & what the problem(s) could be, you need to rely on people who are writing these care & feeding sheets like Tom, Yvonne G, Maggie3Fan, & others who are on this site regularly. Search on this site for answers about why your tort might not be eating. And keep in mind, babies do sleep a lot.

Do not despair.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
@Tom @Yvonne G

You can email them directly on this site using the toggle selections on this site. Soaking your baby in warm water daily is important so they can hydrate, defecate & pee. Having a water dish in their pen is a must, even if you have to clean it out during the day. As to feeding, its care & what the problem(s) could be, you need to rely on people who are writing these care & feeding sheets like Tom, Yvonne G, Maggie3Fan, & others who are on this site regularly. Search on this site for answers about why your tort might not be eating. And keep in mind, babies do sleep a lot.

Do not despair.

Tom has already responded to this OP several times. There are major changes that need to be made in the care being given this tort.

As Tom said, when the changes have been made, the tort should get his appetite back.

Sruthi

Hyderabad
@Tom @Yvonne G

Do not despair.
Ok..thanks a lot...

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Uranus
Can we use Ciprofloxacin eye drops for indian star tortoise...???
The stars are native to India, so I wouldn't be bothered about weather conditions. What you are trying is is forcing your concern onto the tort. Fix the habitat for your tort and it will regain to its normalcy.

I don't think you have a temperature controlled enclosure setup. That's usually a recommended setup if you raise them at locations that aren't native.

Does you tort get enough sun ? Why are you so bothered about soaking it in water ? Just give the poor guy accessibility to water and let him decide when he wants to take a dip.

Same goes for activity. Stars, in my observation, have a distinct character. They take time to bond. And once they bond is when you can expect them to give you a display of their head/face. But all that aside, they still may have dull days when they'd like to be left with their privacy. Usually, it is when they don't have enough of sun.

Remember, again, they are reptiles.

Sruthi

Hyderabad
The stars are native to India, so I wouldn't be bothered about weather conditions. What you are trying is is forcing your concern onto the tort. Fix the habitat for your tort and it will regain to its normalcy.

I don't think you have a temperature controlled enclosure setup. That's usually a recommended setup if you raise them at locations that aren't native.

Does you tort get enough sun ? Why are you so bothered about soaking it in water ? Just give the poor guy accessibility to water and let him decide when he wants to take a dip.

Same goes for activity. Stars, in my observation, have a distinct character. They take time to bond. And once they bond is when you can expect them to give you a display of their head/face. But all that aside, they still may have dull days when they'd like to be left with their privacy. Usually, it is when they don't have enough of sun.

Remember, again, they are reptiles.
Ya the tortoise gets sunlight cauz I leave in the balcony for about 2hrs everyday....but I don't know why my Tortoise don't eat regularly...

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Uranus
As you can see, u will find them hiding in that matka whole day. They won't come out on their own. Only when i put them outside in my garden.

Hey!! Is your garden secure enough ? If yes, I'd seriously consider relocating them to a setup in the garden. Or better, give them the entire garden. That'd be close to their natural habitat.

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Uranus
Ya the tortoise gets sunlight cauz I leave in the balcony for about 2hrs everyday....but I don't know why my Tortoise don't eat regularly...

Would it be possible to put their entire setup in the balcony itself ? Give them a permanent setup. Given your description, in my opinion, a permanent setup in the balcony is the best you'd be able to offer.

Sruthi

Hyderabad
Would it be possible to put their entire setup in the balcony itself ? Give them a permanent setup. Given your description, in my opinion, a permanent setup in the balcony is the best you'd be able to offer.
Ok I can keep it in balcony...but at times it become too hot over here...so I will change it to the room...nd can I use coconut coir or hamster bedding for the tortoise...???

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Uranus

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Uranus
Ok so the substrate which I used now is gud...!??

Use your own judgement please. I refrain from giving a yes/no answer.

There are some very informative threads on this forum. Please read them.

For stars, some of the folks have created an Indianized care sheet. Please read it.

And, in particular, what I shared was my experience when raising them in a balcony type setup, where I successfully raised them for a year.

You are the best to know what best you can offer your tort. Read up these forum, where people share real world experiences. And try to relate that to your needs.