Indian Star Tortoise

rajivkumar

We have a pair of Indian Star Tortoise. Female laid eggs in our garden 12 weeks ago. She had dug a hole, laid eggs and covered them with soil. Until now, the high temperature has been 34 degrees centigrade. However, not the temperature has started increasing and we are not sure how to take care of the area where eggs are nestled. The nest is close to the wall and id under the shade. We have not tampered with the natural surrounding.

Requesting experienced forum members to guide us on how to take care of the area. We expect the temperature to rise to 45 degrees in 15 - 20 days time.

Regards
Rajiv

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Rajiv, and welcome to the Forum!

Depending upon how deep the nest is, the earth around the eggs won't get that hot. If you're worried it may be too hot for them you can always position an umbrella or something over the nest to keep it in the shade. The thing to do would be to stick a thermometer probe down into the nest cavity and see how hot its getting in there. If it gets much above 86F you might consider digging them up and finish the incubation in the house.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Let nature take care of it. Females pick their nest spots for a reason, so don't second guess the Tortoises decision.

skottip

10 Year Member!
Florida
My Red Foot tortoise eggs went through a month of temperatures below 40 degrees f and hatched without a problem.
It was a clutch I must have missed. The ground insulates much better than you think. Seeing they have been in the ground for 3 months, I would leave them alone. If they are going to hatch, they should be hatching soon.

Good luck!

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
Hello Rajiv, do you live in india?