Indian stars eating

G-stars

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
She's about 7" and still has a lot of new growth coming in. The 2nd biggest one is a male at about 6 1/2".

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I have one female that is 9ish but she's all deformed so doesn't really count. Ha one male at 6.5 one male at 7, one female at 4.5 and one female at 6.5" few more years on the 6.5 inched and hopefully see some eggs. I keep them separate until they weigh enough and have good length. Have had bad egg bound experiences with Indians and Sri Lankans in the past being too small.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Are you positive yours are Sri lanken? How much did your females weight/ measure? The ones that were egg bound?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yep. Only bought from original bill zovikian lines. Too many "Sri Lankans" out there that aren't.

They were 6.5" females on the Indians and 7" on the Sris. But I didn't expect them to lay so had no nesting area which was likely a huge contributors too. This was many years ago, so no idea what there weights were.

xiaobochu

10 Year Member!
SUNNY CALIFORNIA
Haha, Yeah, Guaranteed Kelly has Authentic TRUE SRI LANKAN, Because It's from me. Any Pic Kelly? I want to see them

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Very pretty stars. I just getting some Burmese star today.

xiaobochu

10 Year Member!
SUNNY CALIFORNIA
Just like Kelly said, There are MANY MANY Fake Sri in the market, they are either Mix of Indian and Sri or just India.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Haha, Yeah, Guaranteed Kelly has Authentic TRUE SRI LANKAN, Because It's from me. Any Pic Kelly? I want to see them
Yep sure are. The other pair I have came from bills line way back when. I'll get some new pics. One female is close. But I'm waiting a couple more years to put her with the males.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
As it stands mine are indian then. I never thought they were Sri lanken. But they are still growing pretty quickly. So maybe could be Sri lanken or crossed.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
As it stands mine are indian then. I never thought they were Sri lanken. But they are still growing pretty quickly. So maybe could be Sri lanken or crossed.
Where did you buy them from? The reality in the United States is that no legal Sri Lankans ever were imported. However way back when a very large shipment of stars that came from Sri Lanka were confiscated and dispersed among a few individuals and then some resold to others. There were quite a few in that confiscation. Many of the original keepers still have them.
Janie is florida(Doug beards girlfriend) has pure Sri Lankans
Gregious(sp) in New York has pure Sri Lankans
Pete Mimikos in El Paso has pure Sri Lankans
Jimmy Chu has pure
I'm sure there is a few more that have pure ones but most mentioned above have founder animals from this original stock that was seized many years ago.

A lot of people sell Indians as Sri Lankans because they feel they look a bit different. Over time you can tell with size, but still can't be 100% sure. But still if origin is unknown from breeder then they're probably Indian or mixed. They are the same species. Just different locales. Which is always nice to keep up with. Especially in the variety amongst these two locations.

xiaobochu

10 Year Member!
SUNNY CALIFORNIA
I think Gregious sold all his tortoises back in early 2000, Yes, Gregious is one of few lucky guys has get the shippment of True Sri Lankan. Mine are all from Bob's stock which were from Gregious.