india's native grasses-weeds-plants-succulents

Status
Not open for further replies.

tickle

5 Year Member
Trying to come up with a list of foods that a star might find in the wild or farmed in the region.I no endive and escarole wich are the same plant come from the area.belgun endive is escarole grown under a burlap cover with spits in it the little bit of green and yellow on the end is were the tips come out the holes.torts love this.coriander or cilantro also.anyone else can add to this?

tickle

5 Year Member
I have 1 more hemp leaves.full of fiber calcium and vitamins.grows naturally in india.not the buds from female plant cause that has the thc in it.the leaves don't.the fiber is very high and so is calcium and vitamins.can only be legally grown in certain States.:cool:I have seen sulcatas take down full sized male hemp plants only thine left was some stem.the male hemp plant has yellow flowers wich are also good.:D

bigred

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
tickle said:
I have 1 more hemp leaves.full of fiber calcium and vitamins.grows naturally in india.not the buds from female plant cause that has the thc in it.the leaves don't.the fiber is very high and so is calcium and vitamins.can only be legally grown in certain States.:cool:I have seen sulcatas take down full sized male hemp plants only thine left was some stem.the male hemp plant has yellow flowers wich are also good.:D

I better start eating them as well

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
What about Methi? Also called Fenugreek Leaves... It's commonly used in Indian cooking. I bet torts would love it. You can buy it fresh at most Indian grocery stores. Also, mustard greens are common... There are a couple of squash-type plants I bet they would love. One is called Snake Gourd. Stay way from Bitter Gourd, though (Kerala). It's nasty and so horribly bitter it burns if you eat it raw. There's a special way to cook it to remove some of the bitterness, but even then it's almost too much to handle. My husband loves the stuff, though... Blech.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Great idea to start this thread, tickle. I am happy to hear the suggestions that have been made so far, and look forward to see other ideas and experiences to come.

tickle

5 Year Member
shellysmom said:
What about Methi? Also called Fenugreek Leaves... It's commonly used in Indian cooking. I bet torts would love it. You can buy it fresh at most Indian grocery stores. Also, mustard greens are common... There are a couple of squash-type plants I bet they would love. One is called Snake Gourd. Stay way from Bitter Gourd, though (Kerala). It's nasty and so horribly bitter it burns if you eat it raw. There's a special way to cook it to remove some of the bitterness, but even then it's almost too much to handle. My husband loves the stuff, though... Blech.

Great stuff do you have any pics of it.after this topic runs awhile I am going to come up with a care sheet of foods.

Anthony P said:
Great idea to start this thread, tickle. I am happy to hear the suggestions that have been made so far, and look forward to see other ideas and experiences to come.

Thanx Anthony I want to come up with a food list of there natural foods the ones they would eat if they were in the wild.

bigred said:
tickle said:
U sure u want to eat them?lol

In my younger experimental days for sure, not now :)

I am a big fan of mota it has so many bennifits and feeding my star is just one.it has a insane fiber count also full of vitamins and calcium the thc count is so low to nothing so he/her wont get high.I have like a million seeds I just plant them all over my enclosure and he/her lets them get a leaf or two and then chows it.I have a friend who gives me leaves from full grown male hemp plant that my star also devours .my star does not get the same foods two days in row except for cut grass wich will allways be part of his diet.I am a chef and run a restraunt .this is easy for me to do and I love watching him/her eat the foods I hunt and grow for him.no store bought foods for my star unless it would be last resort.

Status
Not open for further replies.