Indonesia rules/laws for Asian brown?

Tortisedonk7

Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Hello all,
I live in Indonesia and interested in getting what is the native Tortoise here. Does anyone have information about special rules or regulations for owning one of these beautiful animals here?
And where these torts might be available.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
To my knowledge it’s not legal and or without a permit. Which country are you? I’d check with ministry of agriculture. Sumatra May be different than Sulawesi or Borneo etc.

MEEJogja

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Indonesia
Hello all,
I live in Indonesia and interested in getting what is the native Tortoise here. Does anyone have information about special rules or regulations for owning one of these beautiful animals here?
And where these torts might be available.

Ya ampun, I have just joined this forum. If you wanted to raise Manouria Emys, you needed to register them with your local BKSDA before today (literally the 21st). If you want them from today, you need 'izin penangkaran' and you need to get your breeding stock from 3rd generation captive animals. The people breeding Emys and who have 3rd generation specimens are currently exporting them all overseas, they are not on the local market. It is understandable because even though they are protected and it is illegal to buy/sell, the price is still around 750-800k IDR ($50 dollars) per adult.

I recommend Kura Kura Forsteni ( Indotestudo forstenii ), if you can get them from a responsible source. They are also CITES protected and in need of responsible keepers/breeders, but they have not yet entered UU Indonesia (Indonesian protection laws). They are expected to become protected at some point soon, so you will need to register as a breeder with BKSDA (the process is free and very easy) when that time comes.

Other than that, you can get a Kura Kura Matahari ( Heosemys spinosa ) Unfortunately they are semi aquatic, so you need a kolam. They do not seem to spend too much time in the water though, so you should be okay with a small one mimicking a small stream. I am not clear on the legal status of these, I think you are still okay, however they may have been protected at the same time as Emys, in which case please do not buy them unless you go through the process above. There ARE 3rd generation captive bred specimins of these available, as they have been popular pets since the 80s and people have been breeding them since then.

Whether these are protected or not, there are plenty on the market here. Please buy responsibly and let me know where you are in Indonesia.