Indoor aquarium size for razor back musk

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
My razor backed musk turtle, Nelson, is now 4 years old! He's a big boy, and actively "defends" his territory from anyone approaching: he paddles furiously at the top of the water and snaps at the "intruder"- even if it's just one of my cats walking by the tank. (The cats totally ignore the tank and have never messed with him)

But I sometimes wonder if he's a bit stressed by the size of his tank. I was under the impression that a 40 gallon breeder was sufficient for an adult razor back musk, but in looking at him swim around, I can't help but think he might be less aggressive in a larger tank?
Or maybe he's just grown up into a Big Baaad Manly Musk Turtle who thinks he's a snapping turtle!!! 😄

Does anyone else keep razor back musk in an aquarium, and if so, what size?
Thanks!

Mooz :)

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Please, please let us see Nelson! It's been a long time... unless I missed any posts by you recently! I remember when you first got him!

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I agree with Tammy number #1(🤣) post a picture for her. As I recall, Nelson was always like a Tasmanian Devil.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Razorback Musk males are very aggressive and do defend their territory. Even in my 10,000 gal pond at my old house I could watch my very big male patrolling most of the pond looking for any brown or black colored turtle and chasing it incessantly. So amount of room does not necessarily diminish aggressiveness. It does provide the one being chased a much better chance of escape, however.

My male is over 6". I think a 40 gal tank is too small for that as they are very active bottom walkers and love patrolling their territory. I personally would think a 75 gal is the minimum I would use.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Razorback Musk males are very aggressive and do defend their territory. Even in my 10,000 gal pond at my old house I could watch my very big male patrolling most of the pond looking for any brown or black colored turtle and chasing it incessantly. So amount of room does not necessarily diminish aggressiveness. It does provide the one being chased a much better chance of escape, however.

My male is over 6". I think a 40 gal tank is too small for that as they are very active bottom walkers and love patrolling their territory. I personally would think a 75 gal is the minimum I would use.
Thanks, Mark!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I'll tell you if I think he is too big for the tank.
I'm actually kind of embarrassed about the state of my tank...I hesitate to take a photo of it. But I'll give you a photo of him!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I agree with Tammy number #1(🤣) post a picture for her. As I recall, Nelson was always like a Tasmanian Devil.
You are so right! He's gotten more focused with age and maturity. Now, whenever I hear water suddenly splashing furiously in his tank, I know one of the cats has just strolled innocently by! And when I come over to the tank to feed him, he ignores the food and snaps at ME! He goes back to the food later.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What you're describing is how red ear sliders act when they see the food goddess enter the room. I think you're misinterpreting begging for aggression.

I'm not a water turtle person so I have no ideas on the aquarium size.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
What you're describing is how red ear sliders act when they see the food goddess enter the room. I think you're misinterpreting begging for aggression.

I'm not a water turtle person so I have no ideas on the aquarium size.
well, she said just what I was gonna say. I do not keep musk turtles, but I do have a Midland Painted turtle, he's fully grown at 5 inches...I keep him in a 100 gallon aquarium, with the sides block off...and I still think that is too small for him, but he does spend a good part of his time, when weather permits, in my outside box turtle pond100_0116.JPG...my opinion is that a 40 gallon set up is too small for anything excepting hatchlings