Indoor Enclosure Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Govinda11

5 Year Member
Hello tortoise enthusiasts!

My name is Scott, and I'm from Austin, TX - I have a few questions about a new indoor enclosure I just built for Govinda, my 9 month old leopard tortoise. First of all, I bought him in Tucson, AZ with intentions of moving back home to Austin, so he was being kept in a small 20 gallon aquarium (i know, not the best, but it was temporary) with a UV and a 50w heat lamp on one side. It wasn't the best temperature gradient, but it worked and he got a lot of outdoor time, daily baths and mistings, and plenty of healthy greens.

Now, I'm in a more permanent place, and recently decided to upgrade his home. Here are a few issues I'm having. Right off the bat, the little guy (or gal) loved his new home, and was very active and explorative. In the last week, however, he's been a little more sluggish and reluctant to eat. I realized his temps were probably too low with just the 50w bulb, so i added a 75w, but now my thermometer is reading temps of 120 on the warm end. Is this too much? I'm worried the 75w won't be enough to keep things sufficiently warm throughout that side of the enclosure AND provide a good basking spot.

Additionally, my place is cold and drafty at night (around 68-70F), so i need something to keep him a little warmer. I'm wondering if keeping a CHE on all the time, plus a heat lamp during the day would do the trick. A guy at the pet store recommended a heating pad to put under his warm hide, but it doesn't seem to work that well, and I've read mixed reviews about them (besides the fact that it makes me a little nervous).

As far as UV goes, I've got a UVB coil in the center about 12in from the ground. Not sure if an MVB would be better or not.

Finally, the trunk that i bought is made of cedar, which I've read is not a good thing. I lined the thing with plastic trash bags and my substrate is pure cypress and coco coir, so not sure if the aromatics from the cedar will cause any problems.

So that's basically it. I'm hoping to get an outdoor enclosure for him eventually, but he's just too small to keep outside at the moment. Please let me know if anyone has any advice. Thanks!Govinda\'s home.jpgGovinda!.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tnewton

5 Year Member
Ditch the coil uvb bulb at once, they cause tons of probs with animals and their not safe. Go with a tube uvb or mvb. Also what kinda substrate are you using? Glass tanks in my opinion are terrible, I would recommemd a rubbermaid storage tub. I use a mix if sphagnum moss and cypress mulch. I put the moss on my warm side of the tank and keep it damp, then the rest of the enclosure is cypress. If temps get to hot I add water to the moss and they come down.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Well hello and welcome, first of all. I'm glad you found us. Now. With the genuine and heartfelt welcome out of the way, I've gotta say; What a MESS! Where to begin...

I'll put up links to a couple of care sheets that will give you more detail, but a few starters first.
1. Tnewton is right. Turn off that coil bulb right away. It can blind him.
2. An MVB on a 12 hour timer, coupled with a CHE set on a thermostat is a great way to go.
3. Do not let him get 68 degrees at night with humidity. That lethargy will soon turn into a respiratory infection if you do.
4. Ditch the cedar chest. Indoors with heat and humidity, its going to give off its potentially harmful vapors. You can get a plastic storage bin at any hardware store or use a glass tank too.
5. 120 is too hot. The care sheets give recommend temps and how and where to measure them.

Check these out and then come back to us with any more questions. We are all happy to help out.

This one was originally written for sulcatas, but I house my leopards identically.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies#axzz1ZbRusWoo

Neal wrote this one as a general guide for small leopards. Some good info.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Leopard-Tortoise-Care-Sheet#axzz1ZbRusWoo

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
It's great that you are trying to do a good thing, I'm don"t know much about the Sulcatas, but I do know there is a lot of information on this forum and the members give very good advice.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Welcome to the forum! You asked for some advice... sit down & hold on tight b/c the information is going to come @ you rather quickly! No worries! Experienced members will give you invaluable information. :)

Govinda11

5 Year Member
Thanks all,

I really appreciate the help. I'll head out and get an MVB and a CHE today, and start looking at other enclosure options tomorrow.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Scott:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Status
Not open for further replies.