Indoor enclosure - changing type of substate

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northeastern US
For 12 years (on the advice of vet) we have had our 2 Russians ( separate enclosures now) housed with recycled paper type bedding (Carefresh).
While they have both been healthy, with no signs of Pyramiding, generally active, eat well - I have concluded from all my reading on this site, that they would do better on the Moisture holding substrates.
My question , if anyone can comment,
Is it wise for me to change the environment all at once, or would a gradual change make more sense - less stressful to the tortoises?
( I'm thinking about when dietary changes are made for dogs or cats its recommended to gradually mix in new and then increase until it's all changed to the new)
Was considering just doing one end of the enclosure and gradually moving it through to the other end.
But damp paper bedding might not be a good thing.
Any thought?

awesomecs

5 Year Member
No thought but if its working well I would stay with the substrate,:) but you could experiment with having one side with a new substrate and the rest with the old to see how they like it good luck:cool:

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I've been raising torts for 16 years . I have 9 Russians , 19 leopards , 3 Egypt ions , 5 marginals ,5 Greeks ,3 marginals , 2 pancakes ,and some AZ Desert torts . Box turtles and water turtles . And I have been raising them for 16 years ( longer then some kids have lived ) . I would worry more about compaction paper is great for that . But as far as moisture do what I did when you put them outside . Give them a tightly packed flower bed ( I used aloe Vera ) and you will find the torts will hide in there all the time because the moisture is higher in the flower bed . But see what the others tell you . Good luck !

awesomecs

5 Year Member
I've been raising torts for 16 years . I have 9 Russians , 19 leopards , 3 Egypt ions , 5 marginals ,5 Greeks ,3 marginals , 2 pancakes ,and some AZ Desert torts . Box turtles and water turtles . And I have been raising them for 16 years ( longer then some kids have lived ) . I would worry more about compaction paper is great for that . But as far as moisture do what I did when you put them outside . Give them a tightly packed flower bed ( I used aloe Vera ) and you will find the torts will hide in there all the time because the moisture is higher in the flower bed . But see what the others tell you . Good luck !

aloe Vera ? hmmm good thought but I thought Russians don't like a lot of moisture (unless its hot 24 7)

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Northeastern US
I think it makes sense to change from paper to the coconut/coir orchid bark. And I would hate to have impaction problem Granpa Turtle!! Thank you.
I wonder if aloe would grow here on Long Island, I have some as an indoor houseplant.
And Thank You, Awsomecs - I guess I will do half the enclosure with the new substrate in one
and see how he responds. If he is over on that new side I will just do the whole enclosure right away for her, if he is hesitant I will do the change to fully coir gradually.
Thanks again for the input!
I will let you know how it goes!
(Thinking aloe plants in the indoor enclosure would be good idea too!)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would change it all at once.

Dietary changes in dogs are made slowly to avoid shocking the GI tract. There is no issue like this with a tortoises substrate.

I recommend fine grade orchid bark for older russians.

I would also not use that red bulb...

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Northeastern US
Any recommendation for source for the fine grade orchid bark?
And instead of the red heating bulb a Ceramic heat emitter instead?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Any recommendation for source for the fine grade orchid bark?
And instead of the red heating bulb a Ceramic heat emitter instead?

For russians, generally all you need is a basking source during the day. Maybe some UV too if you live somewhere where they can't get sun for months at a time. Most applications will not need a CHE over a russian since they need it cooler and dark at night and warm and bright during the day time.

Check this out:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I have a feeling with the part of the country the OP is in, the bulk orchid bark won't be available. Same problem as me.

awesomecs

5 Year Member
I'm here to help so put the flower bed in and let the torts show you . That's how I did it .
?

hmm I have a question is that a metaphor if so I understand what your saying and my tory like it dry but I give her a big shallow dish of clean water

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
?

hmm I have a question is that a metaphor if so I understand what your saying and my tory like it dry but I give her a big shallow dish of clean water
In my out door enclosure I planted about a 4 foot bed of aloe Vera and it holds in the moisture and leopards hide in it all day and I think they Evan lay their eggs in it .

awesomecs

5 Year Member
In my out door enclosure I planted about a 4 foot bed of aloe Vera and it holds in the moisture and leopards hide in it all day and I think they Evan lay their eggs in it .
Oh I love aloe Veda and succulents , but idk if my tortoise can eat some