Indoor Enclosure Design and Build...and Hello All!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasciels Toy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Evening and hello to everyone! This is my first time posting here but I've been following the forums for a week or so, trying to absorb all the info I can in prep for getting my first tortoise. So a big thank you to everyone for all the help:D
I figured I'd post my enclosure build so far and get into the details tomorrow (it's getting late >.<).
Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

quick specs:
First Floor
48" wide
30" deep
12" tall

Second Floor
48" wide
15" deep
12" tall

Attachments

• Design.jpg
    Design.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 182
  • Build.jpg
    Build.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 223
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 251
  • Sideview.jpg
    Sideview.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 248
  • Overhead.jpg
    Overhead.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 241

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I can see that you've put a lot of thought into this. It looks nice.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Hi and welcome! Very nice!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nice. That's quite the design. Can't wait to see what you make for the outdoor enclosure.

Lasciels Toy

5 Year Member
Florida
emysemys said:
I can see that you've put a lot of thought into this. It looks nice.

Thank you. HA! Ya I tend to spend a lot of time cyphering out wood projects to account for area use, cut sizes, materials needed, and to find anything that doesn't work in reality that worked in my head-_-

Lasciels Toy

5 Year Member
Florida
Zamric said:
very nice

Thank you much, I am a fan of Walking Rock, love the name :D

Chainsawkitten said:
Hi and welcome! Very nice!

Thank you! Lookin forward to some tort talk :)

Tom said:
Nice. That's quite the design. Can't wait to see what you make for the outdoor enclosure.

Thank you much, I actually live in a small townhouse community that uses pesticides and such so I am working on that issue next. More then likely it will involve a kiddie pool with a locking chicken wire top. But I'm still mullin it over.

MasterOogway said:
Very nice!

Grazie :D

stasisdc5

5 Year Member
SoCal
build some walls around the edges of the second floor to prevent the tortoise from falling

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
stasisdc5 said:
build some walls around the edges of the second floor to prevent the tortoise from falling

I was going to say the same thing....I would use a bit of decorative plate railing to go around so it looks like a banister. outside of the that this is not a tort enclosure it's a tort mansion!! great job!!!

Lasciels Toy

5 Year Member
Florida
stasisdc5 said:

I guessing you mean the hole from the ramp? Sorry I forgot I said I was going to come back and fill in the details of the build. But thank you for pointing it out. My plan was to run some 6" high opaque plexi around it which I was holding off on until I cut the plexi for the windows. Course now that I'm cutting the plexi, I'm debating on that, and instead using 1/4" ply because I can secure it better and stain it to match. That piece will also run down into the ramp, securing the highest part of it from being a fall hazard.

Once I get this plexi installed and the inside edges silconed, I'll head home and post some details. Thank you again for lookin out :D

Lasciels Toy

5 Year Member
Florida
Eloise said:
stasisdc5 said:

I was going to say the same thing....I would use a bit of decorative plate railing to go around so it looks like a banister. outside of the that this is not a tort enclosure it's a tort mansion!! great job!!!

I have seen that a few times in other builds, just seems to low for the vigorous climbers that RT's are. Thank you for the compliment, can't wait to see what the tort makes of it.

So a few build details.
MATERIALS:
I used one and a half sheets of 3/4" ply. The full sheet is a higher grade ply you can get for fairly cheap at Home Depot called cabinet grade. I figure that name refers to the fact that one side is very clean, the other side typically has chunks missing from knots and such (the outside of a cabinet is typically covered with a veneer so it doesn't need to be pretty). I used that piece to make all the walls, with the good side facing out. The half sheet was an extra piece of birch I had that had been sitting outside for awhile. I used that to make the floors and ramp. I ripped a 10' 1"x4" white pine board in half to make the top rim on both levels.

3/4" ply is your best choice if you want a clean look that doesn't require extra blocking in the corners and such. The edge of 3/4 ply will hold a screw, where as anything thinner tends to split. FYI, I would suggest using course thread drywall screws. The thicker threads hold better then wood screws and they're cheap and strong.

DESIGN
I would've preferred a 4'x4' table but the spot I have didn't allow it, hence the the bunk style, allowing a 4x4 in a 4x2.5 footprint. The "stepped" design serves multiple functions, allowing for easy cleaning and it will be sitting on a collapsible table between 2 doors, so you won't bang your arm on it while walking by. There seems to be both pros and cons about having solid walls or all glass, so I took the middle road and made low profile viewing windows on all sides, except for where the hide will be. These holes where cut out with a circular saw, jigsaw, and then a router on the inside to the plexi to sit into the wood.

An important part of the layout was that there be limited areas where the tort couldn't turn around when full grown (average size of 8-9"). The only place I couldn't avoid was the ramp, which is 7.5" wide, and the floor next to it, which is the same size. I originally was going to catty corner the torts hide but it would restrict use of the corners, so I put up a barrier that would black the uvb light and allow for a 12"x12" area. The front of which, can be covered with a plant.

You'll also note that the ramp is hovering over the bottom and not connected to it. This was a happy accident. The size I cut it made it fairly steep, so when I lifted it to trace where I wanted it, I noted that if I left it hovering, it would allow easier cleaning. Nothing would get gunked up in the crevice that would be a pain to clean out.

PUTTING IT TOGETHER
All the exterior edges were glued with Titebond lll Ultimate wood glue (the best weatherproof wood glue in my opinion). As said above, I screwed everything together with 2" course thread drywall screws, sunk a 1/16" into the wood then filled with wood putty. 45 edges would have given a cleaner look for stain but are weaker in general when not backed up by something. I want this to last, even a fall while moving it around, and it will do just that. The ramp is screwed in from the back and the 45 at the top against the second floor floor will prevent it from sagging.

FINISH
The putty over the screws is sanded, along with the rest of the exterior for a uniform stain. I used an oil based red mahogany stain (to match my desk), brushed on, then whipped off with a rag, working from the top down. 1 coat only. This was allowed to dry for 24 hours. I then coated it in polyurethane. 1 coat on all exterior surfaces, 2 coats on all interior surfaces (for better waterproofing). I let that dry and cure for a day. Then all interior floor edges were given a bead of silicone, which should make it more then sufficient to hold any spills and moisture in. I cut 1/8" plexi, using a variable speed jigsaw, and glued them in with silicone. That will be allowed to sit for 24+ hours and then I can start putting in substrate, plants, and lights.

Once I have that finished up, I'll be comfortable ordering the tortoise. Which should be a lesson to all. Have your enclosure up and running before getting your tortoise. I've seen older members suggest this as well. That's it for now, I'll update next once I get the enclosure ready to receive my RT. :D

Attachments

• 479822_532854523403651_409001236_n.jpg
    479822_532854523403651_409001236_n.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 559888_532854783403625_723290225_n.jpg
    559888_532854783403625_723290225_n.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 168

Lasciels Toy

5 Year Member
Florida
Eloise said:
stasisdc5 said:

After going through a couple of options to prevent falling and that I could safely secure, I decided I would like to keep an eye on her on the ramp. So I took your advice and grabbed the stamped wood fencing from Michaels ($1.69 for a 9" piece in case anyone is interested). It a little short, at about 4" tall but I don't plan on building up the substrate to much around it.

I'm currently shopping around for light fixtures and hangers that will work, which is why there's not substrate, just put the soak tray and sunbathing stones in there to get an idea of where I want them. I've read even more good adivce, one of which will have me putting river rocks around the soak tray.

And I'm curious: I put that little cubby off to the side as her intended hide. My intention is to eventually have some organically grown plants to put in front of it to act as a barrier but that'll take some time to grow. An idea I considered. What's everyones opinion if I where to just put a whole bunch of substrate packed in there so she can burrow in? I'm tryin to shy away from putting a half log in there and I understand RT's like to dig, so I figured I'd give that a try for now.

Attachments

• 179090_536062193082884_1594886852_n.jpg
    179090_536062193082884_1594886852_n.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 124
  • 525071_536062236416213_557752015_n.jpg
    525071_536062236416213_557752015_n.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 109

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Wow, very nice. Russians are explorers and climbers. My guess is that yours will be up and down that ramp several times per day!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Lasciels Toy said:
What's everyones opinion if I where to just put a whole bunch of substrate packed in there so she can burrow in? I'm tryin to shy away from putting a half log in there and I understand RT's like to dig, so I figured I'd give that a try for now.

I dont use hides anymore. I like it better without them. Instead I pile up substrate and use plants for my tortoises to hide in/under. Looks more natural and I think it feel more natural for them, too.

I'm all for you skipping on the half log and making a dirt pile with lots of plants!

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Looks great! Welcome to tfo. Im sure your new friend will love it!

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
Lasciels Toy said:
Eloise said:
stasisdc5 said:

After going through a couple of options to prevent falling and that I could safely secure, I decided I would like to keep an eye on her on the ramp. So I took your advice and grabbed the stamped wood fencing from Michaels ($1.69 for a 9" piece in case anyone is interested). It a little short, at about 4" tall but I don't plan on building up the substrate to much around it.

I'm currently shopping around for light fixtures and hangers that will work, which is why there's not substrate, just put the soak tray and sunbathing stones in there to get an idea of where I want them. I've read even more good adivce, one of which will have me putting river rocks around the soak tray.

And I'm curious: I put that little cubby off to the side as her intended hide. My intention is to eventually have some organically grown plants to put in front of it to act as a barrier but that'll take some time to grow. An idea I considered. What's everyones opinion if I where to just put a whole bunch of substrate packed in there so she can burrow in? I'm tryin to shy away from putting a half log in there and I understand RT's like to dig, so I figured I'd give that a try for now.

Way to make an entrance into the forum! I wish I had the skill to make something like this for my RT! You did awesome!

Lasciels Toy said:
Eloise said:
stasisdc5 said:

Way to make an entrance into the forum! I wish I had the skill to make something like this for my RT! You did awesome!

Lasciels Toy

5 Year Member
Florida
Maeve came in yesterday, from Tortoise Supply. I'm not sure she needed the soak as she was active enough to make getting her out of the bag sort of a struggle lol. But in she went, then did a little exploring, followed by pigging out, followed by more exploring and then digging in for the night.
She roused about noon, dirty as can be and eager for more food :D

Attachments

• 1364410758589.jpg
    1364410758589.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 1364410808428.jpg
    1364410808428.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 1364410833115.jpg
    1364410833115.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 1364410854743.jpg
    1364410854743.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 1364410866426.jpg
    1364410866426.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 54

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, don't know how I missed the start of this great intro.:D You made a beautiful home for your beautiful tort, congrats. Btw, hello and welcome:)

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
Lasciels Toy said:
Eloise said:
stasisdc5 said:

I like the stamped wood fence!! You should check out tortoisesupply.com I bought some testudo seed mix from there and it is growing quickly!! they have other tort safe seeds to choose from also. This enclosure is looking fabulous!!

OMG and Maeve is adorable and looks like she is happy with this home you made her congrats!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.