Indoor enclosure for a Baby Russian

Jabon

Location (City and/or State)
Utah
Hi Everyone,

We're bouncing back, and are planning to get a baby Russian. I'd like your thoughts on our enclosure to see if it will meet the needs of a youngling. I've also started building a table for the baby to move into when it gets a bit bigger. I'll post about that project later.

I've redone the deck so that it has protection from falling off, and added to the sides so that it doesn't have such a large gap at the edges.

I've got a hide for a humid area, and I'm using a Zoo Med Power sun for heat, and UVB. This lamp here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AQDJK/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I am missing the water dish. I couldn't find a terra cotta dish that had texture on the bottom, so I didn't get it on Saturday, I'll look somewhere else for one.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Jabon

Utah
Sorry this pic turned out so dark, but here it is.

Attachments

• IMAG2156.jpg
    IMAG2156.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 68

Jabon

Utah
You can see the hide under the desk in the back.

Attachments

• IMAG2157.jpg
    IMAG2157.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 43

Jabon

Utah
Different angle.

The rocks on the deck won't be staying.

Attachments

• IMAG2158.jpg
    IMAG2158.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 43

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It looks oaky to me.

What is the height of each of those steps on the stair case? Are those 2x4s?

Have you already read both of these:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Do you know where you are getting your baby from? We have lots of good breeders here on the forum that start them right. I've personally bought from @Carol S and I highly recommend her. I know there are other good breeders too, but I don't have first hand experience with them, unfortunately. Just throwing that suggestion out there.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
It looks oaky to me.

Do you know where you are getting your baby from? We have lots of good breeders here on the forum that start them right. I've personally bought from @Carol S and I highly recommend her. I know there are other good breeders too, but I don't have first hand experience with them, unfortunately. Just throwing that suggestion out there.
Is it large enough? I have learnt one thing as far as enclosures are concerned: the larger the are the better. Torts are used to roaming around "as they please" in the wild.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is it large enough? I have learnt one thing as far as enclosures are concerned: the larger the are the better. Torts are used to roaming around "as thy please" in the wild.

It looks to be large enough for a baby to me. Much too small for an adult, but Jabon mentioned that a larger table is already in the works for when the baby gets larger.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
It looks to be large enough for a baby to me. Much too small for an adult, but Jabon mentioned that a larger table is already in the works for when the baby gets larger.
Many thanks your reply.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi Everyone,

We're bouncing back, and are planning to get a baby Russian. I'd like your thoughts on our enclosure to see if it will meet the needs of a youngling. I've also started building a table for the baby to move into when it gets a bit bigger. I'll post about that project later.

I've redone the deck so that it has protection from falling off, and added to the sides so that it doesn't have such a large gap at the edges.

I've got a hide for a humid area, and I'm using a Zoo Med Power sun for heat, and UVB. This lamp here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AQDJK/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I am missing the water dish. I couldn't find a terra cotta dish that had texture on the bottom, so I didn't get it on Saturday, I'll look somewhere else for one.

A very warm welcome to the forum.

Jabon

Utah
It looks oaky to me.

Hi Tom,

They're smaller than 2x4s, I've reused the slats from an old bed that broke. They're probably 1.25" tall. I'll have to measure them when I get home tonight to be sure.

I have been reading and rereading both of the care sheets you listed above. They've given me great information, and I'm doing me best to meet them. It got really cold here last night, so if I had a tort already in an outdoor enclosure I would have brought then in. I'm planning to use this enclosure until spring/summer when its warm enough to build and use an outdoor setup. Then when it gets latter into next year I should have my tort table ready for the next cold season indoors.

I just reached out to @Carol S about the babies she posted about last week. I'm hoping that works out. The whole family is really excited.

I've been seeing your posts all over the forum (well mostly I've been looking in the russian section), you have lots of good input and seem to be helping so many of the members here. Thanks for helping me out too.

Jabon

Utah
A very warm welcome to the forum.
Hi Gillian,

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I totally get what you're saying, they need room to roam, I've got some ideas that I think will make a good enclosure with lots of room, and also be within my abilities to build. At least I hope so.

I'm hoping this won't be too cramped for a baby while I get the other setup ready, and an outdoor one too.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi Gillian,

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I totally get what you're saying, they need room to roam, I've got some ideas that I think will make a good enclosure with lots of room, and also be within my abilities to build. At least I hope so.

I'm hoping this won't be too cramped for a baby while I get the other setup ready, and an outdoor one too.
Did not mean to hurt you. It's just the fact that these cute animals do need a lot of space.

Please keep us update, and good luck!

Jabon

Utah
Did not mean to hurt you. It's just the fact that these cute animals do need a lot of space.

Please keep us update, and good luck!

I will, and there was no hurt, I really appreciate your opinion. No problem at all.

I just really want to do it right. So if this won't work, or its going to harm the little one, then I will stop and wait until I can get it right.

Maybe you can answer another question I have.

The water here is really hard, it leaves that chalky white residue anywhere it is left to puddle for a significant time, for example in a pet's water dish. Do I need to worry about that, or is changing it daily enough to counter any troubles?

Thanks,

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I will, and there was no hurt, I really appreciate your opinion. No problem at all.

I just really want to do it right. So if this won't work, or its going to harm the little one, then I will stop and wait until I can get it right.

The water here is really hard, it leaves that chalky white residue anywhere it is left to puddle for a significant time, for example in a pet's water dish. Do I need to worry about that, or is changing it daily enough to counter any troubles?

Thanks,
Terribly sorry: don't have an answer to this question. I'll tag @Yvonne G @Tom @wellington . Please help. Thank you all.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Thanks,

We have hard, alkaline water with a high mineral content here too. Shouldn't be a problem. If its safe for you to drink, bathe and brush your teeth in, then it should be safe for your tortoises too.

You can prevent hard water stains on your tortoises carapace and enclosure walls by using distilled, rain water, or RO water to rinse him/her in after soaks and for enclosure and carapace spraying. Just don't use these non-mineralized types of water for soaking or drinking.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Hi Everyone,

Nice 2nd level..you might want to close it off so the baby cannot see out and risk an injury...just use a piece that will cover the side of the upperdeck evenly...

HardShellFan

los angeles
Remember to protect from predators like raccoons and maybe opossoms if they are in your area. it never occurred to us and shortly after we found a little box turtle lost on the hiking trail near our house and brought him to our backyard a raccoon made a midnight snack -- we were so upset as you can imagine. we never had a problem with raccoons prior but since then we bring our tortoise in every night! And because they are sleeping at night, it's easy to pop the tortoise into a small rubbermaid plastic box for the evening and then pop them out in the AM. Raccoons are very smart and don't scare easily so even a motion light doesn't phase them so if you need to do something make sure it's super tough. Good luck!