Indoor Enclosure for A Burmese Brown Mountain Tortoise

BradKellerDA

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Hello all.

I live in Ohio and I recently got a baby Burmese Brown Mountain tortoise baby. He's small enough now to keep in a sweater box but that won't last long. I was hoping to get some ideas of other peoples indoors enclosures. Any suggestions or pictures would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BradKellerDA

Ohio
I was hoping you guys could give me some ideas or post some photos of indoor enclosure for your Burmese Brown Mountain torts. I live in Ohio and have to deal with the cold for a few months out of the year and will have to bring mine indoors. I just recently got a baby and I know he will be getting much larger so any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I was hoping you guys could give me some ideas or post some photos of indoor enclosure for your Burmese Brown Mountain torts. I live in Ohio and have to deal with the cold for a few months out of the year and will have to bring mine indoors. I just recently got a baby and I know he will be getting much larger so any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Welcome.
I see that you have posted twice about this issue. Sorry, but I know nothing about this species, except that in captivity they can reach 100 pounds and a size of two feet across.
Hopefully someone with more knowledge of this species will be along soon.

Berkeley

I've got some pics of my barn I will see about posting a little later (maybe as early as this afternoon). I live in Georgia, but our winters are still cool enough to have to bring them in for several months.

Their floor space is essentially 10x12 feet, and I cover the floor with a thick layer of cypress mulch and raked up leaves. They have large dog crates uncoupled (split in half) to use as hides. I have a giant plant saucer (~18 inches) is the water bowl. They do get regular soaks in a baby pool during the winter, and sprayed a couple of times a day.

Search in this subforum and in the Tortoise Enclosures subform for some posts by 'tortadise' and his Manouria Mansion. He has some great pics of his set up.

--Berkeley

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is where I kept Emmy a few years ago:

emmie.jpg emmie's old house.jpg

There were plants and hiding places in it too. Before she graduated to living here (outside) she lived in a covered aquarium in the house similar to this:

covered habitat.jpg covered habitat 2.jpg

Moore

Congrats on the new purchase, hopefully you have as much fun with your baby as I'm having with mine so far. I have a temporary indoor enclosure for my 4 yearlings that seems to be treating them very well. Just a screen top short tank. I've placed cardboard at the sides and back (they seem to feel more secure when they're not in a "fishbowl"). I used two disposable, tin casserole dishes with 3" holes cut in the middle. I placed the two black 60w heat lamps ontop of them. In between the two casserole dishes I placed my uvb. The rest of the screen top that isn't covered by the tin dishes is covered by tinfoil. It's completely covered which keeps my humidity at >80% which keeps their energy level up and keeps their appetite hilariously voracious. Also I have a heat cable beneath the tank which seems to really help bump the humidity. In the photo I have bark, I have since switched to Eco earth. This environment will get him through his fragile young years and buy you some time to make something for when it grows into the giant you're in for! Hope this helps. image.jpeg

brianfurtado

5 Year Member
Moore. I know those torts. From Windsor area, LaSalle? I picked up the Hermanns from the same place recently. Known Brent for years. Congrats on the Burms. They're awesome.

Moore

Moore. I know those torts. From Windsor area, LaSalle? I picked up the Hermanns from the same place recently. Known Brent for years. Congrats on the Burms. They're awesome.
Thanks for the well wishes! I wanted that hermanns so bad! Haha I hope he's treating you well, Brent showed me a pic of the setup you made for him. Looks awesome dude

brianfurtado

5 Year Member
Thanks for the well wishes! I wanted that hermanns so bad! Haha I hope he's treating you well, Brent showed me a pic of the setup you made for him. Looks awesome dude
Thanks! Nacho was sweet too! When those Burms get bigger, I'm coming to visit.