Indoor Enclosure Ideas Anyone?

Location (City and/or State)
United States
Does anyone have any tortoise enclosure ideas i have a decent sized russian tortoise from pets mart, right now i have him in the really big $20 tub from walmart but that is obviously not enough space to keep him in there for ever. Somebody suggested to me to buy another tub and join them together and then eventually work on making a second a floor for him. But im also wondering what everyone else does for there tortoise enclosures.

Tanner Fry

Michigan, United States
Does anyone have any tortoise enclosure ideas i have a decent sized russian tortoise from pets mart, right now i have him in the really big $20 tub from walmart but that is obviously not enough space to keep him in there for ever. Somebody suggested to me to buy another tub and join them together and then eventually work on making a second a floor for him. But im also wondering what everyone else does for there tortoise enclosures.
I personally use my apartment to see what I can and cant do. I would recommend building one from scratch. This will allow you to personalize the size and shape to where you want it. It costs 300 dollars to build the one that I built. 20190704_094858.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's pretty hard to provide a Russian tortoise the space he needs indoors. They are hard wired to wander over great distances looking for food and if you keep them in something too small they spend their days digging in the corners, climbing the walls or just sulking in the hiding place.

MPappagallo

Myrtle Beach, SC

MPappagallo

Myrtle Beach, SC
I have two baby sulcatas, and we just built this indoor enclosure. We have already started on a second enclosure since it is really not good to keep two together.....but maybe you can get some ideas.....We did a two level to add extra floor space, and it is fun to watch the little guys running up and down the ramps. We will most likely add a cover in the winter months to insure the humidity levels stay as high as they need to be.

Attachments

• IMG_20190712_203003.jpg
    IMG_20190712_203003.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 68

Michael231

California
Be careful making ramps, and be sure if you do decide to level your enclosure that your tortoise cannot climb or fall off the side of the ramp. This can be a serious flipping hazard, especially if a basking bulb is nearby.

mjamal25

Denver, Colorado
I personally use my apartment to see what I can and cant do. I would recommend building one from scratch. This will allow you to personalize the size and shape to where you want it. It costs 300 dollars to build the one that I built. View attachment 276511
I love this!! Im going to be buliding one for my tortoise. What kind of glass did you go with?

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I have FOUR of those terrible "tortoise houses" strung together, which would not normally be big enough but a) his outdoor enclosure is 10 x 12 and b) he also is not a wanderer and in a given day only moves from his hide to his food bowl, so I don't feel too badly about it as a short term thing (and next year he's getting brumated so won't be here all that much, just as a night box and bad weather box...

Attachments

• Fezzik full4.jpg
    Fezzik full4.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 18