Indoor Enclosure question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SE Michigan
So I plan to put my Leopard in a 4x1.5 ft tank. Is this too big for a Leopard under 1 year old? Should I split it to 2x1.5 or 3x1.5?

And as for a basking spot. I've seen a few pictures of people putting rock/slate under their heat lamps. Is this ok? I know for my lizards it's not a good idea at least because the rock gets far too hot and burns.

Starting the setup this weekend so it's ready for when he arrives in a month. But i'm in no rush since I do have a month :p. Thanks!

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Millerlite said:
it shouldnt be to big, they need as much room as they can get.

K thanks, and how about the rock/slate under the heat bulb? And anyone else feel free to chime in. I've heard mixed reviews about enclosures being sometimes too big for a hatchling.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Anyone on putting the rock under the basking spot? Good or Bad?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Yes you can. My tort however didn't like it so I moved it. Supposedly they can't feel the belly heat?

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
tortoisenerd said:
Yes you can. My tort however didn't like it so I moved it. Supposedly they can't feel the belly heat?

I see. Well if it's just that they can't feel it, then I probably won't do it either. Not feeling something doesn't mean it can't hurt you.

Like people with no sense of touch or feel. If they put a hand on a hot stove, they get burned too, just can't feel it.

Chewbecca

5 Year Member
60 miles south of Chicago
I use ceramic tile as substrate in my breeding leopard gecko cage.
I use a temp gun to check temps on the floor.
I would assume that's all you'd have to do.

If my geckos don't get burned, I doubt your tortoise will.:D

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Some people like to place a piece of slate of ceramic tile under the basking area so that it helps warm the tort. Some perfer it a little away from the basking area. It's always a good idea to feed on slate of ceramic tile (not really slickly glazed stuff) so it helps keep their beak and nails trimmed. But I have my tile place about half way in the enclosure. That way it is warm but not hot and can be used for feeding but not be directly under the MVB. For the hatchlings I placed it close to a fake plant so they can hide and still feel safe to eat.

I don't feel that the 4 ft by 1.5 ft is too large. Just give it lots of hides so it can use the entire tank. It will tend to go from hide to hide to get around at least for a while.

You must be getting a little excited as the time gets closer to its arrival. Have you picked a name yet?

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Crazy1 said:
Some people like to place a piece of slate of ceramic tile under the basking area so that it helps warm the tort. Some perfer it a little away from the basking area. It's always a good idea to feed on slate of ceramic tile (not really slickly glazed stuff) so it helps keep their beak and nails trimmed. But I have my tile place about half way in the enclosure. That way it is warm but not hot and can be used for feeding but not be directly under the MVB. For the hatchlings I placed it close to a fake plant so they can hide and still feel safe to eat.

I don't feel that the 4 ft by 1.5 ft is too large. Just give it lots of hides so it can use the entire tank. It will tend to go from hide to hide to get around at least for a while.

You must be getting a little excited as the time gets closer to its arrival. Have you picked a name yet?

Oh you bet I am getting excited! I havn't picked a name yet. I wanted to see him/her first and see it's personality and go from there. I hate naming animals though! So tough.

I actually think I only named 1 of my lizards out of all of my 7 pets. The rest I rescued and already had names (thank god lol)

I am working on the cage this weekend and will post pictures as I go along for tips/advice on it. I plan to build 3-4 hides, and a 2nd floor. Saw that great 2nd floor idea from someone here. Figured it's probably good exercise as well.

And I guess 2 Ceramic tile pieces would be a good idea then too? 1 for food and another for the basking spot, maybe not directly under, but so it does retain some heat from the bulb then.

For the 4x1.5 enclosure. How long will that last for a leopard tortoise in terms of a good amount of room. If I get one under a year, it's going to be HUGE to him. My guess would be 3-4 years? He'll have an outdoor one too, but in terms of the indoor one.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
You probably would want to upgrade after a few years so you don't get the "shrinking enclosure" effect, sooner if the tort grows fast...

How much room will you be able to give the full grown tort by the way? Will it ever live outside full time?

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I should think that slate under the heat lamp is OK as long as the temp of the slate does not exceed 100F. I would also not put it under all of the area under the MVB, just part, so the tort has a choice. I agree that most reptiles cannot sense the heat from their under side, thats why heat rocks are a no no. Heat rocks generate unsafe temps, whereas the slate cannot generate heat, only absorb it. This is the same thing that happins in the "real" world, and its not unreasonable to think a tort may choose that area to bask in.

I would try the large enclosure first. As long as the tort can find the heat and the food, your good!

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Sorry I havn't been able to reply. Power has been out since thursday (saturday now).

Tortoise- I live in Michigan, so no he won't be able to live outdoors full-time. From April-October he'll be out everyday all day if it is warm enough and not soaking wet. And if it rains etc he'll be brought in.

Indoor enclosure (when he's full size) will be 4x8 or 5x8 feet. Possibly bigger, but still sorting it out as I have time.

Outdoor will be 10x6 feet. Which for 1 tortoise I think is pretty big, even 2 would be fine in there i think. No plans on getting another though lol.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I asked about enclosure sizes to confirm you could give him more space later on. That sounds great!

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
tortoisenerd said:
I asked about enclosure sizes to confirm you could give him more space later on. That sounds great!

Oh yep. Have 3 bedrooms in this house. One is mine, one is the lizards (and soon to be tortoise, but just his 1.5x4 ft one). Once he gets the upgrade to his "final" enclosure it'll be in the 3rd room. Although I may just stick him in my living room so I can keep an eye on him often :p.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
We have Trevor in the dining room (well really we have a great room with kitchen/dining/living). It's great because he gets lots of attention--every time we walk from the couch to the kitchen we check on him. I really couldn't imagine him being outside or even in a bedroom!

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
tortoisenerd said:
We have Trevor in the dining room (well really we have a great room with kitchen/dining/living). It's great because he gets lots of attention--every time we walk from the couch to the kitchen we check on him. I really couldn't imagine him being outside or even in a bedroom!

Ya, I think i'll have to find room out here for him. But I have a custom made (built it myself) cat tree condo thing with multiple levels and boxes to play on for the Cats. Takes up a bit of room.

Status
Not open for further replies.