Indoor enclosure ready for its debut

After reading in here for months I have made a ton of changes to my Russian enclosure. The dimension is 5 x 10'. On the left was my original enclosure, which now the cool end is filled with coconut coir and a hide. It has a door and a little water dish and a wide terra cotta "wading pool". The small lamp is a ceramic heating lamp and the big one is a UVA/UVB mercury vapor and basking lamp (not coil). That corner has an inch of larger quartz gravel. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1476919256.476440.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Very nice enclosure. Few things I would change. Remove the little stones, blockage hazard. The light with the clamp, the clamp can fail, I wouldn't use the clamp. The bare wood needs substrate and the water dish buried into it so the top rim of water dish is level with the substrate.
The other light, basking one. There are two legs that I can see. If the light is attached to that, the tort will at some point knock that over and it is a fire hazard, plus a burned tort hazard. If that's the situation, please secure it.

Okay thanks everyone. I so have reptile carpet, but the wood floor is so easy to clean. The light is anchored on the plant. It is very heavy, but I will see if I can build a hanger. I did it in an effort to make the light vertical, not horizontal.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz, CA
Russians are a burrowing species. They need a substrate that they can dig into. Repticarpet does not provide that. You can simply use topsoil without perlite or other additives. Cypress mulch or orchid Bark are other options. Whatever substrate you use, you'll want to make sure that it's moistened so that it is damp, not wet. This will add needed humidity and prevent eye infections. Substrate will require less cleaning as you just have to pick up poop not pee. There should be a Russian tortoise care sheet that Tom has posted. Just search "Russian Tortoise Care Sheet".

Last edited: