Indoor Enclosure Size

Elliriyanna

5 Year Member
I have been researching and it seems every care sheet I see is different. What size should a tortoise enclosure be minimum ? This would be for one of the smaller species, Hermanns, Greek or Russian.

Of course I do know bigger is better.

I need to know adult enclosure size.

Elliriyanna

5 Year Member
I didn't have a size in mind.

And I don't know hatchling or adult, I will be going to a show and have wanted a tortoise or box turtle for years so I know I may come home with something. Yes Box turtles have very different needs I am not thinking they have the same needs.

I don't think I can do an indoor 8x4 enclosure. I do have an area outside 7x11 that I can take it out several times a week and let it explore.

Elliriyanna

5 Year Member
Also for now I just need to know the minimum, I can upgrade later assuming I do bring someone home.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
For Greeks maybe a little less 4'x6' should be fine, though the care sheet here says 3'x6' is ok.
Hermanns and Russians seem to need more and both care sheets say 4'x8'.
This is for adults and I guess about minimum for a tort to be happy.

Elliriyanna

5 Year Member
the care sheet I found for russians said 2x4 indoor enclosure. That seemed small but it was the only indoor enclosure I found, everything else was for outdoors.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I don't keep Russians, but everything I have read would say this is much too small for an adult or even a juvenile.
I'm sure some Russian owners will back this up.

Elliriyanna

5 Year Member
I didn't say I was building an enclosure that size, I said it was the only direct indoor enclosure information I found all else was for outdoor.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I would think 3x6 would be the smallest if you plan on it living inside most of the time

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I understand, but look on the care sheets here to see what our lot suggest for indoors for adults and, indeed youngsters. The figures i quoted were from these for indoor adult enclosures, though i'd go slightly bigger than 3x6 for greeks myself, that would be the minimum. None of these things are set in stone, everyone has their own ideas, and people are often limited by space. These are minimum guidelines as recommended by very experienced members, but bigger is better as you mentioned.
The Greeks I have known and Tidgy now would be very unhappy in a small indoor enclosure of 2' by 4' and I understand the other two species need more room if anything.
This reply is for Elliriyanna, not tortdad!

Elliriyanna

5 Year Member
I would never actually put anything bigger than about 4 inches in a 2x4 enclosure ( box turtles for example are usually fine with this)

I really think the best I can do is 4x4. But something that can live at least mostly happily in this would be great. ( I say mostly because nothing compares to the wild or even massive outdoor enclosures. )

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/rubbermaidreg;-structural-foam-stock-tanks-50-gal--capacity

Also I am not set on these species I just want a terrestrial turtle/ tortoise.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Well, 4x4 = 16', while 3x6 = 18', not a great deal of difference, I should say.
Also have you thought about putting an upper level over some of the enclosure with a ramp? This is a way some of the members here get around the area problem.

Elliriyanna

5 Year Member
i was thinking that as well. but 4x4 vs 4x8 is a huge difference.

I personally would not use a second level just due to safety issues.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
i was thinking that as well. but 4x4 vs 4x8 is a huge difference.

I personally would not use a second level just due to safety issues.
If done right a second level is just fine. I have one for my red foot and the love it. 2 stories just means safety rails and additional lights/heaters to make sure both levels are properly heated/lit

Elliriyanna

5 Year Member
If done right a second level is just fine. I have one for my red foot and the love it. 2 stories just means safety rails and additional lights/heaters to make sure both levels are properly heated/lit

I do not at all trust myself to do this and I trust my gut on things like this.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I didn't have a size in mind.

And I don't know hatchling or adult, I will be going to a show and have wanted a tortoise or box turtle for years so I know I may come home with something. Yes Box turtles have very different needs I am not thinking they have the same needs.

I don't think I can do an indoor 8x4 enclosure. I do have an area outside 7x11 that I can take it out several times a week and let it explore.
I'm confused you trust our views but your going to a show to buy a tort . Why not buy it through the TFO ? You want a adult but you don't want to look outside the box ( may be a pancake tort ) they need layers of rock . Witch is multiple layers . You got more space outside but don't want too . And we don't even know what state your from . Please don't hate the messanger . Just trying to help .

Elliriyanna

5 Year Member
I never share my state.

I have had bad experiences buying online and didn't even know you could buy them here.

Never said I wanted an adult. just that I wanted to know the adult enclosure size.

The area outside can not be converted into a pen but can be used for a few hours daily while I watch ( We rent)

I never said I wouldn't look outside the box, these 3 species tend to come up most frequently for first time owners looking for small tortoises.

Does that help?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
4x8' is the minimum indoor enclosure size I would recommend for an adult of any of the species you mentioned. My care sheet says this. You can find a care sheet that will say anything. Doesn't make it right. A box turtle or tortoise will not drop dead if kept in a 2x4' enclosure, but its not good for it and some would consider that inhumane. Tortoises wander over large distances in the wild. Locomotion helps move things through the digestive tract and keeps them fit. Lots of people don't have the space for a large indoor enclosure. My recommendation for them, and for you, is to find an animal that does fit within the confines of the space you have. When you have the proper amount of space for a tortoise at some point in the future, then go get a tortoise. There are lots of cool reptiles available that can live and thrive in smaller enclosures. Blue tongue skinks, for example are a fantastic species, friendly, easy to keep and will do just fine in a 2x4' enclosure.

I don't want this to devolve into an argument, but all of us stand to gain nothing by telling you these things. Our only interest is in the health and well being of chelonians. Keeping them in enclosures that are too small is just not good for them, and so we don't recommend it.

I also agree that buying a tortoise at a show is not a wise course of action, unless you have previous knowledge of the seller and know how well they start their babies. Many, if not most, tortoise breeders do not start their babies correctly. You stand a much better chance of finding a healthy baby that will not only survive, but thrive if you buy from one of the breeders here on this forum that starts their babies correctly.

Read this for more explanation:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/

Elliriyanna

5 Year Member
well its clear noone is listening, I came here to ask because I knew the care sheet that said 2x4 was wrong and too small.

I am just asking questions, There is about a 90 % chance I will come home from this show with nothing at all.