Indoor habitat

ClarenceTort

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas City
Saw this glass enclosure online. It’s a 75 gallon about 50” long 19.5”w. Would this be ok for a Russian who is about 7 months to keep him into adulthood? IMG_1256.jpgIMG_1256.jpg

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Glass tanks can work but i dont think youll find one large enough for an adult russian.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
For an adult russian your prob looking at at least a 4x8 enclosure. Thats my opinion.. maybe some russian experts can chime in

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Simple build. once adult they dont need much humidity so no need for closed chamber

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Saw this glass enclosure online. It’s a 75 gallon about 50” long 19.5”w. Would this be ok for a Russian who is about 7 months to keep him into adulthood?

This size would be fine to start a small hatchling in. Once the tortoise is 3-4 inches, you'll need something bigger.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
From everything I've read and heard you should not put a tortoise in a glass aquarium as they can see out and go bananas
You've heard wrong. This is an often repeated and persistent myth. I, and many other tortoise keepers here have been using glass tanks to start babies with no problems for decades. The problem is that glass tanks are too small, and the tortoises outgrow them quickly. Glass tanks are actually better for babies for the very reasons "they" say they are bad.

I think this myth started because people would go to a pet store, buy a wild caught tortoise, and the pet store would sell them a 40 gallon tank for it. In these cases the poor tortoises did kind of go bananas, but not because of the glass. If you put those same tortoises into a wooden box of the same dimensions, they'd do the same thing.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
You've heard wrong. This is an often repeated and persistent myth. I, and many other tortoise keepers here have been using glass tanks to start babies with no problems for decades. The problem is that glass tanks are too small, and the tortoises outgrow them quickly. Glass tanks are actually better for babies for the very reasons "they" say they are bad.

I think this myth started because people would go to a pet store, buy a wild caught tortoise, and the pet store would sell them a 40 gallon tank for it. In these cases the poor tortoises did kind of go bananas, but not because of the glass. If you put those same tortoises into a wooden box of the same dimensions, they'd do the same thing.
And if its the tortoise seeing through the glass you can always block the bottom of the glass with cardboard . Ive done this with my water dragons

dmilam

North Texas

I am so glad to see someone with your experience say this. I have my new Greek hatchling in a glass aquarium. The tank is 60 x 18 and it only uses about a third of it. It’s easy to maintain the temperature and humidity. It doesn’t grind on the glass or try to escape. It has its little area that it uses and is thriving.

I tried to have a discussion about this with another group and it was maddening.

This is the end it uses. There are cement pavers buried under the substrate to hold in the heat. It sleeps in its hide but basks in the open or under the grass and plants.

IMG_0945.jpg

ClarenceTort

Kansas City
I am so glad to see someone with your experience say this. I have my new Greek hatchling in a glass aquarium. The tank is 60 x 18 and it only uses about a third of it. It’s easy to maintain the temperature and humidity. It doesn’t grind on the glass or try to escape. It has its little area that it uses and is thriving.

I tried to have a discussion about this with another group and it was maddening.

This is the end it uses. There are cement pavers buried under the substrate to hold in the heat. It sleeps in its hide but basks in the open or under the grass and plants.

View attachment 279052

I hate to be superficial but the glass tanks just look nicer too!! These terrariums take up so much space in your house it should look nice too! But I’m a newb so what do I know.

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
Awww.. when I was buying a tub, someone with snakes told me the same thing about needing an opaque tub and not a clear one, so I bought a black one. I'd much prefer a clear one so I can actually see my future tort, so maybe I'll get a different one. Can never have too many storage tubs :p

There is still one more $1/gallon sale coming up at Petco before the end of the year. I know the next reptile rally (half off) is around October, and this usually runs about the same time that they do the tank sale. It's $1 a gallon up to I think 55 gallons, and then larger tanks are half off.