indoor redfoot cage size

Mikael

5 Year Member
What is the minimum cage size for a redfoot tortoise if it is kept indoors?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
How big is the Red foot?

The rule always the bigger the better.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
If its an adult redfoot

I would suggest at least 3 foot by 6 footer or bigger. And do you have idea how to keep humidity high for the red foot in this indoor enclosure?

Justin C.

Metro Detroit, MI
I would suggest at least 3 foot by 6 footer or bigger. And do you have idea how to keep humidity high for the red foot in this indoor enclosure?
So for a adult Red Foot indoor enclosure min. 6' x 3' would be OK? How many can be kept in that size, 1 or 2?
I was thinking of getting a Red Foot but I want to plan ahead.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Red foot Tortoise can be fairly big when it become full grown(12~15 inches +). In the winter time of Detroit MI, you do need to keep the RF indoor, RF do not hibernate.

All tortoise are solitary animal, One will be very happy by themselves, add another torts in the same enclosure will cause some stress unless the enclosure are big enough that they don't see each other at all times.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have adult red footed tortoise in my garage for winter . Their enclosure is 16 /16 feet . I would at least build a 4/8 foot enclosure for one red . If you have a yard I would build a tortoise house and an 20/20 enclosure .

abclements

5 Year Member
I am currently in the process of creating a 6'X3' enclosure for my cherry head. That's all the floor space I can give up. She's only 5" right now, but I'm planning on it lasting at least 3-4 years hopefully. So to get a little more floor space, I'm also building a 3x4 second story which puts me at around 30 square feet of space and that really should be plenty for quite a while.

abclements

5 Year Member
Of course, if you have the yard to do an outside enclosure, that's always best. But my winters don't allow for an outdoor tortoise. Usually sub freezing with typical highs in the mid 30s...

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Southern part of Sweden
Hi Mikael,
my guess is that you come from Sweden, hence the spelling of your name ?
It has already been said in this thread, "the bigger the better", but bare in mind (if you now live in Sweden?), that there are minimum requirements when keeping tortoises and the rules are set by "Jordbruksverket" (Working for the Government)!
You can read all about this and more on my homepage in Swedish, and there is a link to those specific rules there too. And feel free to contact me if you have any specific questions regarding those rules set by the government in Sweden for tortoises in captivity?
www.redfoottortoise.se
All the best
/Mikael from the southern part of Sweden

Mikael

5 Year Member
Hi Mikael,
my guess is that you come from Sweden, hence the spelling of your name ?
It has already been said in this thread, "the bigger the better", but bare in mind (if you now live in Sweden?), that there are minimum requirements when keeping tortoises and the rules are set by "Jordbruksverket" (Working for the Government)!
You can read all about this and more on my homepage in Swedish, and there is a link to those specific rules there too. And feel free to contact me if you have any specific questions regarding those rules set by the government in Sweden for tortoises in captivity?
www.redfoottortoise.se
All the best
/Mikael from the southern part of Sweden
Haha no I am actually not Swedish I am Italian and Canadian right now I live in canada. I just got my first tortoise he is a beautiful red foot about 5 inches. He is living in a Rubbermaid tub for now until I build his tortoise table. Thanks for the reply

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
I have two reds, one 5 3/8" and a 1 1/2" and I have them in a 2'x5' indoor enclousure.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1399312228.529462.jpg

Making plans for a more bigger enclousure when I can put both of them together.

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
All tortoise are solitary animal, One will be very happy by themselves, add another torts in the same enclosure will cause some stress unless the enclosure are big enough that they don't see each other at all times.

This isn't necessarily true for redfoots. They do quite well in groups or solitary. They still need adequate space but even with the space they may often pile up together. Company will not stress them unless you have an aggressive tort in the mix.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
This isn't necessarily true for redfoots. They do quite well in groups or solitary. They still need adequate space but even with the space they may often pile up together. Company will not stress them unless you have an aggressive tort in the mix.
if only there was a way to tell if there was aggressive tort before throwing it in the mix lol i want another red but won't take the chance without a second enclosure
What is the minimum cage size for a redfoot tortoise if it is kept indoors?

bigger is better the more space you have for them to explorer the more active. my 5 month old hatchling has a 6foot by 2 and half foot wide enclosure and it will be getting extended to 6 long and 4 feet wide this summer, but i do also have a spare room that i will be putting to use

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
Mikael i use a regular house bulb 50/100/150W right now I have two lamps one for each tort. I only use it for heat during the day for the basking area. Cause they spend most of the day in the free clean sunlight and I live in puerto rico and the temps are always 83-90F during the day and 70-80F during the night. I dont need to change that much their temps.

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
Im planning to change that habitat into a big diamond shape cause is located in the corner of the house and want to match it with the rest of the decorations.

1208jen

5 Year Member
Niskayuna, NY
I have a male and female red foot together and they definitely like the company of each other. Last year I had lost my male who wandered off in the backyard. He came back on his own a day later and I heard him making weird noises. I went outside only to find him talking back and forth to his companion who was in the pen. She was in the pen and he was on the outside. It looked like he was trying to get back in. It was pretty clear to me then that they had a strong relationship to the point that he came home and sought her out. I understand that this isn't always the case and I know I am lucky he came home on his own.

Ramus

5 Year Member
I had my redfoots in the same pen together until two things happened. The larger redfoot would bully the littler one, and it was found out that while the littler one was a hatchling he bit the head of one of his tank mates and killed it.