Status
Not open for further replies.

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Arkansas
Hey guys,

I am thinking about getting an Indian Star and was wondering how everyone has them setup indoors.

Such as, what kind of substrate, weather you use a mercury vapor for UVB and light or do you use a 5.0 flouresent with a standard light bulb, what if anything you use for night heat, etc.

Pics would be great too. :D

Thanks all,

ARKelly

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I use native (bluestem/indian grass) grass hay as a substrat. For light a 5.0 flourscent with 75 watt spot for basking. A 100 watt CHE for heat. If temps excede 90, they go into hide. Give them a humid hide and a soaking/drinking bowl. No protein and very little fruit (as a treat only). Dark greens, weeds, grape leaves, mulberry leaves, and opuntia are my staples.

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NW Arkansas
Itort said:
I use native (bluestem/indian grass) grass hay as a substrat. For light a 5.0 flourscent with 75 watt spot for basking. A 100 watt CHE for heat. If temps excede 90, they go into hide. Give them a humid hide and a soaking/drinking bowl. No protein and very little fruit (as a treat only). Dark greens, weeds, grape leaves, mulberry leaves, and opuntia are my staples.

Thanks Larry!

When they are unable to get outside do you use calcium with D3 along with the 5.0 flourscent? And where can someone get the native grass hay?

Does the hay soak up urine and such or would putting a layer of dirt or sand on the bottom help?

ARKelly

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I use a reptile carpet under the hay but not knowing size of enclosure I omitted mention. A layer of cypress or aspen would also work. Grass hay should be available in your area, I use the native hay because I have it established on my place. You may be able to find it in your area also. I don't use D3 as they get from from flourscent. I give them the same calcium powder as the RFs and they also have a cuttlebone or two.

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NW Arkansas
Itort said:
I use a reptile carpet under the hay but not knowing size of enclosure I omitted mention. A layer of cypress or aspen would also work. Grass hay should be available in your area, I use the native hay because I have it established on my place. You may be able to find it in your area also. I don't use D3 as they get from from flourscent. I give them the same calcium powder as the RFs and they also have a cuttlebone or two.

Reptile carpet can be washed and reused, can it not?

Okay, no D3 while using the 5.0 and giving cuttlebone is not a problem. I have plenty.

And it is not a good idea to keep them outside while it is raining, right?

Thanks,

ARKelly

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Yes I wash the carpet in an animal safe detergent like novasan. Warm rain is okay, in fact enjoyed, and cold rain is deadly. Cold and wet is a no no. They come from a monsoon area and warm rains stimulate them.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
We have ours on aspen. They now have a humid area that is bed a beast, that we wet every few days. They also have hay at one end, the male always sleeps hidden in the hay. You can see pictures of our set up on our blog. Stars are beautiful tortoises and do have great personalities. Both of ours are inquisitive yet are quick to retreat inside their shell momentarily.

S

stells

Here is mine, i use a MVB lamp, have a dry grassy substrate called graze on in one side, and a humid soiled area the other side, the cork bark doubles as a humid hide, large water bowl, with me being in the UK and night getting cool i do also use a ceramic heater over the sleeping area.
Twinkle098.jpg

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NW Arkansas
Hey, thanks guys, you all have been most helpful.

Kelly: Beautiful setup! Is that a "custom" tort table?

Tim/Robin: I tried to get on your blog, but I keep getting timed out. Hopefully one day I can view it. LOL

ARKelly

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It is a custom table Kelly :D On my last day at Kelly's I cut up her old wooden wardrobe so she could make the 3 tiered table that the Star occupies the top table of. :D

Danny

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NW Arkansas
egyptiandan said:
It is a custom table Kelly :D On my last day at Kelly's I cut up her old wooden wardrobe so she could make the 3 tiered table that the Star occupies the top table of. :D

Danny

Too funny Danny! :p If I could get my Husband to do have the things other people do, I would so have it made. Course, he will not so most things do not get done. That sucks! :(

ARKelly

Status
Not open for further replies.