Indoor setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmt123

5 Year Member
Was wondering if I could see pictures of all of your guys indoor enclosures.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
All of my Box Turtles are outside, except for some hatchlings and a juvenile that are too small to go in the turtle garden. For any that are inside I use glass vivariums. I like them because they are easy to mimic a natural environment, and hold in the humidity well.

013-6.jpg

019_zps1745b644.jpg

035-1.jpg

019-34.jpg

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
Beautiful!!! Do you have a list of plants & items you use.I would love to learn how you prepare them as adults to live outside year round.Do you have past threads I can dig up.I live up North too in PA. I did purchase a book Box Turtles by Tess Cook that I have not read yet. EBT are native here and I would LOVE to have a turtle garden that they can live all year outside. We came across a box turtle riding this summer but I have no idea what it was as we left it alone it was crossing the trail.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Thank you. For plants, I love this site: http://www.africantortoise.com/edible_landscaping.htm It has every plant telling you everything about each one. For the hatchlings, up until they are three years old, I keep them in a 40 gal. breeder tank. I use soil, mixed with coco coir. I put the plants right in the substrate in their little pots, right up to the rim. I don't use a hide. Under the plants I put some long fiber moss and on top of that some leaf litter. A nice size water dish so they can soak, and a flat piece of slate for them to eat on. Around the slate and water bowl I have frog moss to keep it clean. I have a little meal worm bowl for them too. I mist the plants in the morning which entices them to come out to eat. I water them right in their little pots once a week. On the top I have a long 5.0 UVB for a ten gal. tank in the middle and also a 100 wt. heat emitter, which is on 24/7. There is a screen top which I cover the parts without the tube light and CHE, with clear wrapping tape to hold in the humidity. After they are three years of age, they go out in the turtle garden for good. Even though I've been doing this for over thirty years, my copy of Tess's book is in shreads from reading it. I think it's the best box turtle book out there.
When the warm weather comes I make a little garden in a plastic Christmas Tree storage bin, and put it in filtered sun, under a tree with a screen top, and they stay there during the day until Winter comes, and then they come in again, until they're three.

This is the garden last Summer.
IMAG0006-2.jpg

020-2.jpg

008-7.jpg

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
terryo said:
Thank you very much. Yes, Scott, that was Nora, my Ornate. She must have been about 33 years old. I had her since she was a baby.

007-29.jpg

Nora was beautiful terryo! I am so sorry you lost her. She reminds me of my Gloria!! You have a beautiful set up and gorgeous turtles. I just love looking at your posts. I like to get ideas for my boxies! :)

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
terryo said:
Thank you very much. Yes, Scott, that was Nora, my Ornate. She must have been about 33 years old. I had her since she was a baby.

Aww Nora is beautiful !

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
terryo, your setups are so beautiful. For me, they are the models of the type things we should strive for to keep our animals happy and healthy. Heck, it makes ME happy and serene to just look them!

And I love, Love, LOVE the pics of them going for a swim!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Moozilion said:
terryo, your setups are so beautiful. For me, they are the models of the type things we should strive for to keep our animals happy and healthy. Heck, it makes ME happy and serene to just look them!

Thank you so much. That's very kind of you. I love making vivariums and also have glass jar's (terriariums) all over my house.

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
Moozilion said:

I agree.I do not have a green thumb but I want to learn. You should serioiusly think about writing a book or even a small booklet on how to make terriariums. I think its a gift and an eye like an interior decorator. For those like me without the gift it sure would be great to have a plan or plot all mapped out :D The glass jar terriariums sound wonderful too!

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
this thread is inspirational-great article Terry-beautiful boxies.Love seeing all of these photos.
Gloris is sweet-lovely name.

MasterOogway

5 Year Member

danmar26

5 Year Member
New Jersey
terryo said:
Great looking outdoor pen Terry! Do you have any problems with raccoons? I didn't see any screen covering them.
Thank you. For plants, I love this site: http://www.africantortoise.com/edible_landscaping.htm It has every plant telling you everything about each one. For the hatchlings, up until they are three years old, I keep them in a 40 gal. breeder tank. I use soil, mixed with coco coir. I put the plants right in the substrate in their little pots, right up to the rim. I don't use a hide. Under the plants I put some long fiber moss and on top of that some leaf litter. A nice size water dish so they can soak, and a flat piece of slate for them to eat on. Around the slate and water bowl I have frog moss to keep it clean. I have a little meal worm bowl for them too. I mist the plants in the morning which entices them to come out to eat. I water them right in their little pots once a week. On the top I have a long 5.0 UVB for a ten gal. tank in the middle and also a 100 wt. heat emitter, which is on 24/7. There is a screen top which I cover the parts without the tube light and CHE, with clear wrapping tape to hold in the humidity. After they are three years of age, they go out in the turtle garden for good. Even though I've been doing this for over thirty years, my copy of Tess's book is in shreads from reading it. I think it's the best box turtle book out there.
When the warm weather comes I make a little garden in a plastic Christmas Tree storage bin, and put it in filtered sun, under a tree with a screen top, and they stay there during the day until Winter comes, and then they come in again, until they're three.

This is the garden last Summer.
IMAG0006-2.jpg

020-2.jpg

008-7.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.