Indoor Substrates for Your RedFoot

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
When keeping your Redfoot in a naturalistic enclosure or vivarium indoors, there are many options to consider for your substrate. Being a high humidity tortoise here are a few ways I have found helpful to retain your moisture thus providing a humid environment as well as a “natural type” planting substrate as well and appeasing to the eye of the tortoise.
One of the first “layers” I use is a medium grade/size pea gravel , I make sure that the size that is used is not one that could be ingested by the tortoise during feeding / digging . Next a sheet moss layer of 2” and finally your soil/top substrate of choice. Within this substrate mixture and or “layering” , many plants can be grown hydroponically. You can also increase the humidity easily by filling the gravel bed with water. .pouring directly thru substrate mix.
Potting soil is the top layer and plants directly into the soil. With soil type substrates just as themselves, this can lead to a build up of toxins because it doesn’t drain particularly well unless it placed on top of a gravel bed .
Orchid bark or Ground cover bark can also be used as a high humidity substrate, which when large enough , the torts can not ingest. When choosing this option you can mist the enclosure one to three times a day to make sure that the humidity level is sufficient as the bark retains moisture well. Plants can be added and left in the pots they came in buried beneath the bark.
Happy Tort~N
JD

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
DevilsLettuce said:
You ever try hydroton as the bottom layer?

Hello Mr Scott....Welcome back !...... No have not heard of the stuff>
fill me in ....

PS: ... I didn't think rock-wool would go over to well...;)

DevilsLettuce

5 Year Member
Hey there,
Not the biggest fan of rock wool myself, stuff is a pain.

Thanks. I've somewhat been around just lurking, haven't been in the best of spirits lately.

Not sure if there would be an impaction risk or not with hydroton. But it's clay balls that absorbs moisture pretty well and allows good drainage. I use it with plants sometimes when I have the desire. Can put a layer on the bottom, mix it in the soil, and or a layer on top. Have done a few hydroponic experiments with it but I prefer perlite in the long run.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FCPDFA/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20