Indoor Tents for Enclosures

passwordstaco

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
Hello!

I am looking to build an indoor enclosure and have a really cold basement that I will need to house them. I am thinking of using a large Indoor Growing Tent like this https://growace.com/products/yield-lab-120-x-120-x-80-reflective-grow-tent

Anyone have experience with this? Will the reflective material damage them in anyway?

I feel like besides that, this thing will be great for controlling humidity and heat.

I have a couple Meso Greeks and thinking about getting more so the 10' by 10' seems like a good enough space for them for now.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have not used that kind but have used a couple green house type ones.
Be sure to go as big as possible if you want to house a group. Pairs should not be housed together and males should not be housed together.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Bare in mind that there is no insulating quality in those walls. It may be difficult to keep it warm enough if you plan to set it up in the basement.

passwordstaco

Chicago
That's good to know! I was thinking of putting a space heater on the ground as well as the normal CHEs above. My main concerns were the reflective material and potentially blinding them.

The one I listed is pretty big, so I can give them plenty of cover, segmented sections and the lights high up to prevent problems.

If I run out of space, I could also buy another to build out an entirely new room.

As always, thanks for the assistance!

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
Yes, I used one with a red foot! I would definitely recommend a grow tent. Just be sure to read lots of reviews and get a good quality one.

I used it for at least 6 months and had no issues. When I took it back down, everything was still in great condition even after the bombardment of humidity. The size I used was a 6 x 5 Vivosun laid flat. I laid out a tarp before placing the substrate inside. Very simple to build and to take down. Mine had just one tiny window so I made my own windows out of vinyl. Warning: very hard to sew on this material even with an upholstery kit ?

It's great at holding in heat/humidity. It comes with cords to tie off the holes meant for vents. I actually had to go down to a 60 watt CHE from a 100. The corners will hold humidity wonderfully but under the light/heat still require frequent misting. Originally I ran a humidifier but had to stop using it.

For the price it is a great amount of room, the picture below was just a portion of the enclosure. That is a Booda cat box as the house and the largest size terracotta dish I could find.

IMG_0313.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mine was also in a basement. Used a oil filled portable space heat along with a couple basking lights. Stayed very warm and humid.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I'm using a Vivosun tent inside for growing tort foods, and am pleased with it. I think it's well made and will hold up well.

But be warned...the assembly instructions were horrendous! They missed 2 vital steps that I had to figure out on my own, necessitating partially disassembling the frame. Getting everything to fit again was awful! Pulled my back and spent the next 2 weeks in agony.

But other than that, not too difficult! :D