Indoor tortoises in the living room?

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
Does anyone keep their indoor enclosures in the living room? Back when I had my three-toed indoors I kept him in the bedroom so the ambient light/noise from night time TV and such wouldn't stress him or mess with his sleep cycle, not sure if it makes any difference. Just curious about what everyone else does.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I have a big habitat along one wall in the kitchen and two smaller ones in the laundry room.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I keep my baby's in the dinning room the first year . So they have lights on at different times , the noise from the TV , and people moving around . They seam to be a lot more active and alert and everybody likes baby's!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I keep my baby's in the dinning room the first year . So they have lights on at different times , the noise from the TV , and people moving around . They seam to be a lot more active and alert and everybody likes baby's!
Please when I say lights at different times I mean after I turn off their lights . Then the dinning room light may be turned on or the TV gets turned on .

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Speedy is in the living room , I turn his light off at 7:00 pm but he is usually settled in his hide by then. What we are doing , watching tv etc. doesn't seem to bother him at all . :)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Speedy is in the living room , I turn his light off at 7:00 pm but he is usually settled in his hide by then. What we are doing , watching tv etc. doesn't seem to bother him at all . :)
That's what I'm saying ( go to a pet store as soon as you open the lid they all pull in there heads , you pick them up and the try to get away or pee!

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
We have an enclosure along one wall in our living room and haven't noticed any issues, although we're no more night owls than our tortoise is.

Keith D.

Arizona
We have Leo in our bedroom, 3 other SDT in the family room and the 3 sulcata hatchlings in the guest bedroom. All have lights and TVs going at whatever time throughout the day and night, they seem to like watching us watching TV.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
My critters are all in my office where I spend most of my day. I considered the possibility of giving them their own room, but I like being around them and I don't think they mind me pounding away at the keyboard at all hours.
The designated 'inside space' (aka sleeping quarters) for our large redfoot is in the bathroom but if we bring him in early he will try to escape until he is allowed to sit in the corner by my office chair so I relented and gave him a heat lamp and a hide box next to my desk. He hangs out with me until about 8pm and then walks back down the hall to the bathroom and waits for someone to put him to bed in his box.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum.

I sometimes put OLI's enclosure in the sitting room, due to the fact that it's nice and warm in cold days of Winter which are near.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
My tiny living room is not big enough for tort enclosures! My redfoot lives in a portable greenhouse set up in my basement. The same for my box turtles, on a smaller scale. I'd love to have them on the main floor, but you know how those grown children always come back. There just isn't enough room!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Tidgy has her main enclosure in the living room and another in my science room.
When she goes to bed at night, I switch off the lights and move to another room.

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
Tidgy has her main enclosure in the living room and another in my science room.
When she goes to bed at night, I switch off the lights and move to another room.

Like a proper princesss.

Also, as a chemistry PhD student your "science room" intrigues me.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
How do you quote properly?
She is indeed a princess.
Spoiled girl.
I have a couple of PhD's and my science room is for the preparation and identification of fossils, crystals and minerals, mostly.
To quote, tap the 'reply' option to the right of the 'like' option on the far bottom right of the message to which you wish to reply and then type your response under the quote that appears.