Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This has been an ever evolving idea of mine. My most recent inspiration came from ripper7777777's new double decker enclosure thread. I also thought a lot about this a couple of years ago when I read about something similar on a savannah monitor lizard website. The dude was way ahead of his time and his way of housing his monitors was totally against the mainstream and absolutely brilliant. Basically his idea was to have a standard monitor set up built on top of a large stock tank or custom base that was at least 2' deep and full of soil that they could dig and burrow in. Just like some of our tortoise species, savannah monitors live largely underground and feel much more comfortable there.

As usual, I am primarily talking about sulcatas here, but the info might be true or helpful for other species as well. Here's where this is all coming from: Most of us advocate some form of "natural" keeping. Or worded another way; we want to attempt to duplicate what happens in nature wherever possible and beneficial. Herein lies a BIG problem. NOBODY knows what baby sulcatas (or most species) do in the wild, or where they go. Almost nothing is known. Wherever they are and whatever they are doing, they are very much out of the sight of human eyes. We don't see babies walking around at ground level, and I think we can eliminate the tree top canopies as a possibility, so where does that leave us? I am simply guessing based on wild adult behavior, observation of all ages of captives, and all the recent advances in pyramiding prevention theory. They simply must be underground a lot of the time. If this is true then EVERYBODY'S care sheets, including my own, are fatally flawed. We are advocating keeping a below ground, fossorial, species above ground all the time. No wonder they don't grow right! Some have called my current methods for raising babies "extreme" or accused me of using all the moisture, humidity and hydration to "over-compensate" for some incorrect element of their housing. They might be right. The above ground nature of our captive environments might be that incorrect element.

What follows is my attempt at more "natural" housing in a captive environment. I'm replacing my humid hide box with an underground humid "level". If they want to eat, drink or bask, they will have to come above ground. If not, they can stay underground where they feel safer. I have no idea how this will go, or what they will do, but it sure is fascinating to me. Two of these six babies are a little over a month old and four of them are around 6 weeks now. I hatched them all at my place out of my adults. From day one they have all gotten the "wet routine", which should help simulate the "rainy" season in which they normally hatch in the wild. Now these guys have always lived above ground and as such are pattered to do so. But two of them have been digging into the dirt in the back of their half buried flower pot cave in their outdoor 4x8' pen. They do seem to show some instinct to get underground. Their basking spot will be around 100 on the flat rock, and ambient for the whole room is 80-85.

Welcome to this year's first experiment! :)

Here are some of the pieces used.
v7sah3.jpg

Here is the frame for the floor, half built.
28tdq9u.jpg

All built.
2j0l4t1.jpg

I used corrugated plastic to make the floor and ramps.
2jfkhol.jpg

Here I am adding the coco coir that makes up the underground portion and the ramps. I patted it all down with my hands and used it to form the ramps.
1ouhxk.jpg

2r7rl94.jpg

Here is a tortoise-eye view of the underground portion.
28bgr9k.jpg

Here it is all finished.
1zq9153.jpg

I just finished it today and have not yet put them in it. Tomorrow I will introduce the six and let them try it out.

jkingler

5 Year Member
Looks awesome! :O Was it as easy to put together as it looks, or is it deceptively complicated? Think I may try to "steal" this idea, since you've made it public and all...:)

EKLC

5 Year Member
That looks awesome Tom. I'm interested to see if they spend extended periods down there, or will come and go. On a side note, is corrugated plastic a decent insulator, relative to wood of similar thickness?

Ksanroman

5 Year Member
I have sulcatas but I'm just begining to look into Leo's now, would this be the same with them too?

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Very ingenious Tom! I bet it stays nice and humid in the basement! It will be interesting to see how the tortoises do in there.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Ultra nice ..... great concept and follow thru~ ....

" Two Thumbs up" Mr. Tom!

JD~:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
jkingler said:
Looks awesome! :O Was it as easy to put together as it looks, or is it deceptively complicated? Think I may try to "steal" this idea, since you've made it public and all...:)

Its really simple and easy, it just took some time. I just sort of pieced it together with a measuring tape and some PVC cutters. The joints were are .25-.50 cents a piece and I already had the pipe laying around. The corrugated plastic sheets came from Lowes and were $8 for a 30x36" sheet. It only took one sheet to do the whole enclosure.

You can't steal something that was given to you :), but I would love to see your version. :D As I said, this is not an original idea of mine, it was inspired by many others and THEIR original designs. Thanks to all who have inspired me. I really see this as a group effort and I think we are all collectively helping each other to learn more and better care for our tortoises.

EKLC said:
That looks awesome Tom. I'm interested to see if they spend extended periods down there, or will come and go. On a side note, is corrugated plastic a decent insulator, relative to wood of similar thickness?

I have no idea if it would be a good insulator. Seems pretty thin to me, but if you layered it, I guess it would. I think the rigid foam sheets are just easier to use if insulation is your goal.

Ksanroman said:
I have sulcatas but I'm just begining to look into Leo's now, would this be the same with them too?

Honestly, I don't know. I don't know if anyone does. I do know that baby leopards do a pretty good job of hiding too. I just don't know if is all underground, or not. I would not hesitate to try this with leopards. I don't see how it could harm them as long as temps don't drop in the humid underground portion.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The only thing I don't like about it is the substrate. I wish you would have used plain old dirt from the yard.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
kbaker said:
How natural is it to bask on a flat rock?;)

I was thinking of all sorts of clever comebacks for you :), but it just keeps occurring to me that the answer is truly, "I don't know." There could be a huge field of flat rocks right next to where all the wild females lay their eggs, and upon hatching each baby digs out and goes and finds its own flat rock to bask on...

I know, just being silly... :D

But seriously, do you recommend no basking rock?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I may be blind, but how are you planning on adding moisture to the bottom level? Are there holes in the plastic sheeting you used?

Since you used the PVC pipe, I would have done a low level adaptation of what we use outside in our enclosures. Run one pipe up to the top of the enclosure and have a hose attachment on the end. Then I would have drilled small holes along the bottom of the underground piping or added a couple of sprayer heads. Then just as needed run a hose from a faucet to mimic warm rain. Would eliminate worries about the upper level substrate getting washed down ramps or plugging holes in the plastic sheeting, if you were planning on keeping the bottom substrate damp from just watering the top layer. Like I said, I don't know what your current plans are for that.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Love the idea. Can't wait to here how they do. Is there a way for you to get into the bottom level if someone needed help? Or will you have to take the top level off?
I have a leopard and he has enough substrate to dig down about 3 inches or more and doesn't dig at all. I did however make his hide go under ground sorta speak. I buried a plastic cup on an angle with coir on the bottom of it and a half wood log covering the cup. After about 2 weeks he finally went in it. Stays mainly towards the top of the hole, but I think I need a bigger cup. I do notice though that the moist spaghum moss that is on the very humid side is his favorite spot and he tries to cover himself up in it.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Very cool, I think its a nice idea and another good option for those trying to make a nice enclosure in a smaller space...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
emysemys said:
The only thing I don't like about it is the substrate. I wish you would have used plain old dirt from the yard.

I should give that a try some time. I haven't done it yet, and I might really like it.

Katherine

5 Year Member
cool idea; I bet they like. My hatchlings always dig into the dirt at night but are out and about with the sun. It's nice that the babies in this enclosure would be able to do the same inside. If they aren't initially interested I might recommend trying regular dirt like Yvonne mentioned. Will be interested to here how this works out for you; thanks for posting!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Jacqui said:
I may be blind, but how are you planning on adding moisture to the bottom level? Are there holes in the plastic sheeting you used?

Since you used the PVC pipe, I would have done a low level adaptation of what we use outside in our enclosures. Run one pipe up to the top of the enclosure and have a hose attachment on the end. Then I would have drilled small holes along the bottom of the underground piping or added a couple of sprayer heads. Then just as needed run a hose from a faucet to mimic warm rain. Would eliminate worries about the upper level substrate getting washed down ramps or plugging holes in the plastic sheeting, if you were planning on keeping the bottom substrate damp from just watering the top layer. Like I said, I don't know what your current plans are for that.

In my room my humid hides almost never dry out. I might add a little water once every few months. I would anticipate the same thing here. It will be really easy to use a small cup to put more water down there, if I ever needed to. I can reach in pretty far with my hand. I made the openings big enough so that I would be able to reach in and grab the babies. Also the plastic platform has gaps along the sides and any excess water will drip down the sides and into the bottom.

dmarcus said:
Very cool, I think its a nice idea and another good option for those trying to make a nice enclosure in a smaller space...

Yeah, if this works well, I'm thinking of doing it in a 40 gallon (36x18") as well. It basically DOUBLES the floor space.

katherine said:
cool idea; I bet they like. My hatchlings always dig into the dirt at night but are out and about with the sun. It's nice that the babies in this enclosure would be able to do the same inside. If they aren't initially interested I might recommend trying regular dirt like Yvonne mentioned. Will be interested to here how this works out for you; thanks for posting!

Typically I just keep my indoor enclosures sparse, simple and functional, and concentrate most of my efforts on making the outdoor enclosures as perfect as I can. But it occurred to me that even with our nice weather here, they DO spend the majority of their time indoors. On a nice day my babies will spend a few hours outside, but all night, early morning and evening are all spent indoors. I hope this makes things more interesting for them...

Status
Not open for further replies.