inexpensive and effective UVB

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I use these Walmart 18" florescent fixtures. They are just $7.50.
Remove the clear, plastic diffuser and stock tube and install your 5.0 or 10.0 18" reptile UVB tube.
The cord is short, but there is over 24" more if you pull on it.
It has a switch or can be placed on a timer. I mount them on the INSIDE of my enclosure. Under the lid with screws.

20170121_172544.jpg 20170121_172528.jpg 20170121_172340.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
There are many types of ballasts. Magnetic vs electronic, instant start, .88 vs .77 vs 1.00 ballasts, etc. matching the proper type ballast with the bulb is a factor to consider. Even guarantees on many fixtures are changed if you us a different bulb than the make of fixture. When we are dealing with highly specialized - and therefore more expensive UVB producing bulbs, I feel the quality of the fixture and type of ballast used is well worth the extra $15 bucks or so

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have used the cheap under cabinet ones for years. Fish tanks, lizards and torts. I have never had a problem. However, I don't have a UVB meter to know if it's life is shortened at all.

Sticky Feets

5 Year Member
Fresno, CA
How is the UV output toward the tortoise though since there isn't a reflector on the hood? I was just at a Repticon today and was calculating the costs or using a cheap light fixture with the UV bulb too but didn't know how much finding a bendy sheet of shiny metal would cost so I ended up just using the ZooMed brand. Cost the same as if I bought a cheap fixture cuz the only one I could find was for an 18 inch long tube and factoring in the higher cost of a longer tube, ended up costing the same as a 14 inch hood starter kit.