Inexpensive T5 HO hood option?

CherryLover

Location (City and/or State)
Allen, TX
Has anyone with a 6.5 UVB meter (@Markw84 @ZEROPILOT @Tom @Kapidolo Farms) happened to test any 4' with 4 bulb T5 HO grow fixtures (something like this or this) with some of the fluorescent bulbs replaced with Reptisun/Arcadia UVB bulbs? Use would be in an 8' x 8' x 7' closed chamber for two, separated redfoots. The fixture would be centered to cover both sides/torts. This setup would be cheaper and less cluttered than separate Zoomed/Arcadia UVB fixtures for both sides with separate UVA lighting. I have a UVB meter on order, so hopefully, I can get height adjusted correctly for UVB.

I've read Markw84's article on the Sun Blaze single bulb reducing UVB by up to 50% (vs Reptisun). Could I just use 10 (Repti)/12(Arcad) bulbs vs 5(Repti)/6(Arcad) bulbs if the reflector is trash?

I already sunk the cost for the UVB meter, so would hate to have to just toss a fixture if it proves to be subpar. Thoughts???

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Has anyone with a 6.5 UVB meter (@Markw84 @ZEROPILOT @Tom @Kapidolo Farms) happened to test any 4' with 4 bulb T5 HO grow fixtures (something like this or this) with some of the fluorescent bulbs replaced with Reptisun/Arcadia UVB bulbs? Use would be in an 8' x 8' x 7' closed chamber for two, separated redfoots. The fixture would be centered to cover both sides/torts. This setup would be cheaper and less cluttered than separate Zoomed/Arcadia UVB fixtures for both sides with separate UVA lighting. I have a UVB meter on order, so hopefully, I can get height adjusted correctly for UVB.

I've read Markw84's article on the Sun Blaze single bulb reducing UVB by up to 50% (vs Reptisun). Could I just use 10 (Repti)/12(Arcad) bulbs vs 5(Repti)/6(Arcad) bulbs if the reflector is trash?

I already sunk the cost for the UVB meter, so would hate to have to just toss a fixture if it proves to be subpar. Thoughts???
I've never used a fixture with more than one tube in it, but I know that @Sterant has. You would be a prefect candidate for the Arcadia 14% HO tubes with those 7 foot ceilings. Or possibly the newer ZooMed LED UV units.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I recently tested a two tube HO fixture that I did a revue on.
I've never tested a 4 tube HO system.
The one I tested had lower UVB readings because of an inferior reflector. So, I'm pretty sure results would vary by manufacturer

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico

So the SunBlaze is a fixture, not a bulb. It does not reduce the UV output, but rather distributes different than the Arcadia fixture.

I have come to use all 12 inch Arcadia shade dweller units, have them about 8 to 10 inches from the top of the shell, and let the tortoise moderate their exposure. Mark has a well reasoned concern that some parts of the UVA spectrum (which is in all the UV lamps) might facilitate pyramiding. I also supplement with D3 in some foods I offer.

This works for neonates to adult radiated. At least so far...

CherryLover

Allen, TX
Thank you everyone for taking the time to read and reply. My torts especially thank you :)

While researching all this, I happened to find out ZooMed now offers an LED bulb that also supplies UVB (this is not the hood that has LEDs for visible and the T5 tube for UVB). I called ZooMed to get some specifics and they provided the chart below (and said I could share the information). Hopefully it will be of use to others as well.

UVB LED Iso Irradiance Chart (003).JPG

Am I correct in thinking this would NOT be a good fit for my large enclosure, given it would only provide roughly a square foot of coverage in the correct Furgeson Zone?

I have observed my torts self-regulate their heating for digestion (i.e. they are always directly under my current CHE after eating). However, would they really locate and seek out a single square foot (within 32 sq ft) for their UVB/D3 synthesis needs? Seems like a little wishful thinking, no? Wouldn't the 4' linear T5 bulbs would be a better option.

@Kapidolo Farms, in what size enclosure do you use the 12 inch units?

CherryLover

Allen, TX
By way of follow-up, I went with the quad bulb T5 HO fixture (Agrobrite), replacing two of the standard bulbs with Arcadia 14%. This works very well for my setup. Using a solarmeter to adjust, it turns out I can leave the fixture almost at the very top of my tall enclosure and still get a .8 or .9 UVI reading (depending on the depth of substrate in the area and distance from the light fixture). I have plants for shading, along with hides, for self-regulation. Seems to work well ... hope this knowledge benefits others.