Infa red heat bulb?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
light and circadian rhythm have been studied in animals through the production of melatonin ..... blue light blocks the production of melatonin red light does not , at least that's what I remember .....the health benefits of near ir light has been extensively studied , the mechanism for some of these health benefits is known ..... color blind does not mean not able to see color ..... some nocturtnal , maybe all , can see color in total darkness ........... keeping lights on an animal for 24/7 will create a stressed sick animal ...... they did a test at the Cleveland zoo to test circadian rhythm in nocturnal animals , they had to stop the portion of the experiment where the blue light was used at night as they began to get stressed sick animals ............ I've kept turtles and tortoises longer than these che's have been available , or at least before I ever seen them , brooder lamps have always been available . I use che's now , they last a long time and end up being way cheaper than ir bulbs ....... I use the ir bulbs on some p.manni that come in for the winter , I use it inside and out , when they're inside the red light is on 24/7..... a few of them have been here as long as I have lived here , 25yrs , they are prolific breeders , and never get sick ..........

Were these tests done on a variety of Chelonian species?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
...I've kept turtles and tortoises longer than these che's have been available , or at least before I ever seen them...

Forgive me. Now you've got my curiosity going…

I first saw CHEs for sale in the mid to late 80s. How long have you been keeping turtles and tortoises? I don't think I've ever seen you share this info and I'm just wondering. Its obvious from your posts that you have a lot of experience, but I've never asked just how much.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yep, mine too. Their hides are dark despite using moonglow black incandescent heat bulbs.

I shop online for "incandescent black bulb" and get the black lights for about $3 apiece. I think when you buy "specialty" bulbs packaged for reptiles, you get the same bulb, but pay a lot more for it.

Also, my black lights are 60 watts and I THINK the specialty reptile bulbs are only 25 watts.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I shop online for "incandescent black bulb" and get the black lights for about $3 apiece. I think when you buy "specialty" bulbs packaged for reptiles, you get the same bulb, but pay a lot more for it.
True. I do buy my black reptile ones online though for $3.99 so that's not too bad. The same one at pet store is $5.98.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Longevity I think is the biggest plus to them. My incandescent actually do last a long time but obviously not years.

My incandescent black bulbs last a little more than a year. But then, I only use them during the winter, so that suits me just fine.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
light and circadian rhythm have been studied in animals through the production of melatonin ..... blue light blocks the production of melatonin red light does not , at least that's what I remember .....the health benefits of near ir light has been extensively studied , the mechanism for some of these health benefits is known ..... color blind does not mean not able to see color ..... some nocturtnal , maybe all , can see color in total darkness ........... keeping lights on an animal for 24/7 will create a stressed sick animal ...... they did a test at the Cleveland zoo to test circadian rhythm in nocturnal animals , they had to stop the portion of the experiment where the blue light was used at night as they began to get stressed sick animals ............ I've kept turtles and tortoises longer than these che's have been available , or at least before I ever seen them , brooder lamps have always been available . I use che's now , they last a long time and end up being way cheaper than ir bulbs ....... I use the ir bulbs on some p.manni that come in for the winter , I use it inside and out , when they're inside the red light is on 24/7..... a few of them have been here as long as I have lived here , 25yrs , they are prolific breeders , and never get sick ..........
Mark,

Curious if you know much about these tests... Most of the studies around circadian rhythms and light are based on the reaction of the cone photoreceptors of the eye. Since tortoises have a 4th type of cone that does not exist in most animals, are you aware of a study that takes that into account? Although the most dramatic melotonin suppression and circadian shift does seem to occur with short wavelength (blue) light, It also seems many studies have shown continuous exposure to the long wavelength (red) light does indeed work to shift circadian rhythms, yet all of this response varies with different animals. I have seen no such studies with chelonians. Do you know of any?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio

Also, my black lights are 60 watts and I THINK the specialty reptile bulbs are only 25 watts.
No, I buy them in all types of wattages.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I would guess since I was about 8-10 , i'd say late 1960's , when we moved by the river I grew up on ....we kept what we caught , blanding's , sanpping turtles , painted turtles , mud turtles , softshells , eastern box turtles ....... first time I ever saw these che's , I am referring to the bulb type not ceramic infrared heaters , was within the last 10-15 yrs if that long ago , I don't really keep track of time 10yrs is like 1 anymore .......... I don't even believe there were uvb bulbs available ? until the last 20yrs ? I've given away adult turtles I see today worth thousands of dollars each, I've seen bins of of yellow spotted river turtles for like 3.99 each ...... when I was in my early 20's I had stuff I really regret not keeping , there was a a guy I knew with a pet store named variety pet on like 83rd and Denison in Cleveland , his store looked like a Asian south American turtle market .................they very well may have been available , I just never seen them , I've raised lots of pups , chicks and duckling with brooder lamps ........who was the maker of those first commercial che bulbs ?

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
Mark,

Curious if you know much about these tests... Most of the studies around circadian rhythms and light are based on the reaction of the cone photoreceptors of the eye. Since tortoises have a 4th type of cone that does not exist in most animals, are you aware of a study that takes that into account? Although the most dramatic melotonin suppression and circadian shift does seem to occur with short wavelength (blue) light, It also seems many studies have shown continuous exposure to the long wavelength (red) light does indeed work to shift circadian rhythms, yet all of this response varies with different animals. I have seen no such studies with chelonians. Do you know of any?
no , and I actually don't know "so much" about it , I have vague knowledge of the studies being done , and decades of using infrared bulbs on animals , including turtles and tortoises ........ I do use che's now , they are way cheaper than the bulbs ........

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would guess since I was about 8-10 , i'd say late 1960's , when we moved by the river I grew up on ....we kept what we caught , blanding's , sanpping turtles , painted turtles , mud turtles , softshells , eastern box turtles ....... first time I ever saw these che's , I am referring to the bulb type not ceramic infrared heaters , was within the last 10-15 yrs if that long ago , I don't really keep track of time 10yrs is like 1 anymore .......... I don't even believe there were uvb bulbs available ? until the last 20yrs ? I've given away adult turtles I see today worth thousands of dollars each, I've seen bins of of yellow spotted river turtles for like 3.99 each ...... when I was in my early 20's I had stuff I really regret not keeping , there was a a guy I knew with a pet store named variety pet on like 83rd and Denison in Cleveland , his store looked like a Asian south American turtle market .................they very well may have been available , I just never seen them , I've raised lots of pups , chicks and duckling with brooder lamps ........who was the maker of those first commercial che bulbs ?

Wow! Every kid should grow up like that. Playing out in the woods with real nature.

I too remember the stuff pet stores used to stock back in the 70's. A lot different than today.

The first screw in type CHE bulbs that I saw were Pearlco brand. They were imported from England and they had a more conical shape when compared to the ones of today that are flat on the end with a long stalk going up to the threaded portion that screws into the lamp fixture. My first "real" job was in a pet shop in 1986, and we stocked the Pearlco's then. They were way out of my price range at $37.50, but I saw the value of them then. I din't get my first one until 1991 and I'm still using it today. I got it because my tropical lizards lived in my bed room and I couldn't stand having any sort of light on at night. I need it dark to sleep and those colored bulbs drove me crazy. I could't sleep with them on and that was across the room. I can't imagine if the bulb was right over my face shining on me all night long. Back in those days, I had no application that would require a big 250 watt brooder lamp, so I have little experience with those. The cost of running a 250 watt bulb was also prohibitive to me in those days, so I was always looking for lower wattage solutions. 60 and 100 watt Pearlco's served my needs perfectly in those days.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I was a late bloomer to keeping reptiles (all herp's, not just chelonians). I started with reptiles in my late 20s, which was mid to late 90s. I know there were uvb bulbs then but I cannot remember as far as che's go??
I'm also in the cleveland area.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
no , and I actually don't know "so much" about it , I have vague knowledge of the studies being done , and decades of using infrared bulbs on animals , including turtles and tortoises ........ I do use che's now , they are way cheaper than the bulbs ........
Mark,

No offense intended. I hate that tone cannot be conveyed in written responses and will be inferred. I meant no disrespect or disdain in asking if you "know much". I was actually hoping you did! I'd love to know more!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was a late bloomer to keeping reptiles (all herp's, not just chelonians). I started with reptiles in my late 20s, which was mid to late 90s. I know there were uvb bulbs then but I cannot remember as far as che's go??

The first UV tubes I can recall were "Vita-Lites". Remember those? Early 90's if I recall... Tests demonstrated that they were not at all effective, but they sure lit up the enclosures nicely. I used to use the old "expired" ones over my fish tanks because I liked the "natural" looking light they produced.

I can remember when the 5.0 and 10.0 bulbs came out. I remember when MVBs came out too. "Active UV Heat", they were called. I saved a green iguana from MBD in winter with one of those first MVBs. That's how I knew they were effective before I ever had a meter.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
The first UV tubes I can recall were "Vita-Lites". Remember those? Early 90's if I recall... Tests demonstrated that they were not at all effective, but they sure lit up the enclosures nicely. I used to use the old "expired" ones over my fish tanks because I liked the "natural" looking light they produced.

I can remember when the 5.0 and 10.0 bulbs came out. I remember when MVBs came out too. "Active UV Heat", they were called. I saved a green iguana from MBD in winter with one of those first MVBs. That's how I knew they were effective before I ever had a meter.
Vita Lites probably were the early 90s. It was I think about maybe 96 that I started in the reptile hobby. I believe by then we had moved past just the Vita Lites, though I remember still hearing a lot about them.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
The first UV tubes I can recall were "Vita-Lites". Remember those? Early 90's if I recall... Tests demonstrated that they were not at all effective, but they sure lit up the enclosures nicely.
When I was the president of the O.H.S. that's when I was first exposed to the Vita-Lite. At the time, I was raising a family, my baby girl Morgan was truly my baby girl. The cost of those bulbs seemed staggering to me, and I received enough feedback from active members of the Society that they were crap and that prejudiced my thoughts towards them,(that I still have) thinking all tube lights 5.0, 10.0 even now, just weren't worth me trying. That was back mid-90's. And @Tom , I remember those cone shaped che's. I'm not sure where I got mine, and I may still have an old one down in the the barn in a dust covered box. Thanks for the memory jog. It sure took me back some years and reptiles.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
did you ever go to parma pets ? the two brothers Tally and George ? they were around since about 1970 ? I actually think they recently closed their doors ....... they had their share of very cool rare stuff ..... they were a couple guys gave a good name to reptile dealers , extremely knowledgeable , caring , and nothing but healthy stock , with lifetime help ........ or heights pet world , little knowledge but some rare stuff ....... variety pet was closed down by the 90's , legal issues ...... looking back , that place was unbelievable , but owned by a guy who gave a bad name to reptile dealers .................I don't know when I started buying uvb bulbs , late 90's sounds correct

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
did you ever go to parma pets ? the two brothers Tally and George ? they were around since about 1970 ? I actually think they recently closed their doors ....... they had their share of very cool rare stuff ..... they were a couple guys gave a good name to reptile dealers , extremely knowledgeable , caring , and nothing but healthy stock , with lifetime help ........ or heights pet world , little knowledge but some rare stuff ....... variety pet was closed down by the 90's , legal issues ...... looking back , that place was unbelievable , but owned by a guy who gave a bad name to reptile dealers .................I don't know when I started buying uvb bulbs , late 90's sounds correct
East Bay Vivarium in Berekely CA is a place like that. One of the original owners was Ron Cauble. Really great reptile and tortoise guy. All kind of great reptiles in there back in 1983 when I started going in there. Ron Tremper was around at functions and get togethers at his house. That's where I saw my first sulcatas and got my first leopard in 1984. Don't think Tremper was an owner but saw him quite a bit. Great tortoise knowledge. I also wish I had some of those chelonians that were available then. Different owners now but still a good reptile store.

Thread has turned into memory lane!!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I've been to Parma pets just a couple times but it was several years ago. Yes I believe they recently closed. Heights pet world I was at all the time! I'm an eastsider...
Have you been to herp's alive in South Euclid? You know Keith?

Last edited: