Inflation spurts vs. your placement on the life cycle

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
Congrats to the Dads' & moms....best job I've ever had...ask my kids! A 1 & 5 yr olds......heaven, if you can keep up,,,,, Dad! LOL

Taking care of parents.....I watched it destroy my wife's folks family. It didn't get to crises but nearly so. I'm glad that you acknowledge the stress, I know that it's off the charts for you guys. Especially w/ 6 !! Wow! Good for you on Home school....that takes real effort.

Kind of like if the meteor hits, it won't much matter where it came from kinda thing..... I do appreciate the comments and agree but lets leave that alone. I promised W that we'd stay good boys and girls.

Fact is, inflation hits us all differently......for instance in my job, I have not paid for gasoline for nearly 35 years. So all that pain at the pump was just another day to me. However that 6500 shed last year is 9K today....and that came straight from the bank so I get hit like everyone else...and of course I eat.....that hurts. My elect bill is on budget billing is 226mo yet I was in the hole with them 800 bucks b/c they weren't allowed to adjust the billing re: covid. I sent it to them yesterday but that isn't insignificant to me.

Seriously though, inflation has always been a fact of life and pragmatic folks plan contingency for it....never enough but at least they have grasped the concept so they are paying attention. That seems to describe this group fairly well from my view. That's not a bad place to be.

Come on megamilllions baby! THAT is an addiction I never had...gambling. I did lose 20 bucks on it a when we went to NY a couple wks ago on a lark though....a BILLION? Can you imagine the party? No, we aren't going to waste on a band or some stupid stuff like that, only self servers do that. If you wanna have a real epic party....give everyone the money! Right? Told you guys that I was cool......lol

EricW

Houston, TX
I don't consider myself old. Still in my 40s I'm a stay at home mom, homeschooling the last two, 8-11. We also pretty much take care if my in-laws. You know the saying Tom says about heating a house with no roof. Well that is them. They are both retired from low paying jobs. They did not plan for the future or take care of their house. Once it was paid off the dropped the home owners insurance. The back part of their roof collapsed. Inflammation is hurting them mostly poor planning and my nerves as we have been taking care of them. We have been lucky that I can stay home to raise 6 kids.

Oops I went on a rampage. Anyway, 6 kids to will tortoises too makes it tempting to start a side biz. Luckily for me I raised them to love reptiles and all creatures. So it won't be hard for them to take over. I like the idea of putting it in the will the tortoise goes with the house. I started down this road as I always wanted a turtle or tortoise as a child. I'm originally from Northern Ontario Canada. In the middle of nowhere to boot. So other then wild turtles I had never seen one as a pet. Then my first ever reptile expo I was able to get my first tortoise. That is how I found this page. So many temptations now too.
Best Walleye I ever ate, shore lunch in Northern Ontario :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
When I retired I DID do a side hustle repairing motorcycles for friends and friends of friends. At the time I still had a fleet of bikes, myself. And I enjoyed it. That turned into lawn mowers and generators too. And after a short period of time I had many more people owing me money than paying. Everyone had a hardship story and I was far too kind. Because only a "bad guys" asks for money. Even just enough to cover his own expenses.
I had to stop it all.
I ended up minus a bunch of money and gifting most of the work.
I still get everyone's generator going before a hurricane hits. But I do not work on anything else for a fee.

As far as food shopping goes, there are a few items that my wife and I like and get almost every week. But the majority of it is a game. We buy what's on sale. It ends up working out and makes it interesting.
We can never be sure what we're going to bring home.

WillB

New York City
Thought I pitch in as I now realize I’m part of the much younger (late 20s) and newer member in the forum. Very interesting and thoughtful to read everyone's different experiences! Living in nyc, I’ve certainly seen a fair share of price increases recently especially on rent where some landlords are charging 3-5k/month for a 700 sq. ft apartment in Manhattan! Some of my friends spends a bulk of their income just to cover rent (and helping the landlord to pay off their mortgage). I always wonder how there are that many people that could afford these prices. Groceries are certainly a growing expense which I assume is the same everywhere. We're buying more raw ingredients as opposed to frozen or processed foods and eating out less.

I’m blessed and fortunate enough where I have a job that can cover my basic expenses. People in my age group are either playing the long game living like a monk, or squander their salaries away as they see no way of advancing or owning a home as salaries haven't kept up with how expensive things are now :(.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thought I pitch in as I now realize I’m part of the much younger (late 20s) and newer member in the forum. Very interesting and thoughtful to read everyone's different experiences! Living in nyc, I’ve certainly seen a fair share of price increases recently especially on rent where some landlords are charging 3-5k/month for a 700 sq. ft apartment in Manhattan! Some of my friends spends a bulk of their income just to cover rent (and helping the landlord to pay off their mortgage). I always wonder how there are that many people that could afford these prices. Groceries are certainly a growing expense which I assume is the same everywhere. We're buying more raw ingredients as opposed to frozen or processed foods and eating out less.

I’m blessed and fortunate enough where I have a job that can cover my basic expenses. People in my age group are either playing the long game living like a monk, or squander their salaries away as they see no way of advancing or owning a home as salaries haven't kept up with how expensive things are now :(.
Eating well and avoiding processed foods now is your best insurance for enjoyment later in life.
That alone will pay dividends.
Bad health is the straw that will break the bank quickly

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Eating well and avoiding processed foods now is your best insurance for enjoyment later in life.
That alone will pay dividends.
Bad health is the straw that will break the bank quickly
Yes and starting that early in life pays even more 🤗

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
idk, i think staying active is bigger factor than food.

or just eat powdered food
It's weird. I've always had to eat real food because of my corn allergy. I've always been really active too no matter what. If I wait to feel better to do something I'd have to just lay down. Not happening. I still have a lot of health problems but I think doing both has kept me alive longer.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Eat wonderfully, never turn down the rock and roll and never slow down.....

WE have all seen what happens to people who slow down.....yet we still just start to ease up a bit....be careful of that!

Be more prudent with your risk selection as it hurts more as you get older.....I think there's a graph somewhere that shows the close correlation,,,...or there should be! LOL

The fact is, getting hurt later in life is the fastest way to the bottom of the hill.....

don't be that guy/gal!