INFLATION

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I'm paying $5.89 for regular gas. Premium is above $6.00 many places.

Food has skyrocketed. A head of romaine $1.99 or more. Radicchio is sometimes $7.00/lb.

The stock market is tanked because of the federal interest rate hike (though I understand the need for it).

Dog food is higher. Now that I have Bishop, I have a bigger eater. It's going to make a big difference.

So how is inflation affecting me? It's changing me from a comfortable, not fancy lifestyle, to someone who anxiously checks her bank balance and credit card against each other to make sure there is enough to cover. I stand in line at Walmart, Costco, and Winco (groceries), holding my breath for the total, and nearly fainting when I hear it.

6 weeks ago I had bariatric surgery, so I have to buy high protein, low carb and sugar foods. I can't skimp on them, as I now eat 5-6 small meals daily. If meat keeps rising, I don't know what to buy. And of course protein supplements are higher too. I used to pay $24.99/case of Premier Protein drinks from Costco. They are now $27.99.

What's even worse is that this inflation is going to get worse and be here for a long time. The Federal Reserve is too little, too late. I don't believe they can stop this runaway freight train.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Now that I'm retired and making about 40% less than I used to, the fact that everything is much more expensive means I have a lot less free money after all of the bills are paid.
It has seriously ended most of my frivolous spending and has stopped most of my traveling and vacations, etc.

Just going out to dinner with my wife is between $70 and $100.
Filling up the gas tank in my truck is over $100.
Some days I don't even want to leave the house.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I'm paying $5.89 for regular gas. Premium is above $6.00 many places.

Food has skyrocketed. A head of romaine $1.99 or more. Radicchio is sometimes $7.00/lb.

The stock market is tanked because of the federal interest rate hike (though I understand the need for it).

Dog food is higher. Now that I have Bishop, I have a bigger eater. It's going to make a big difference.

So how is inflation affecting me? It's changing me from a comfortable, not fancy lifestyle, to someone who anxiously checks her bank balance and credit card against each other to make sure there is enough to cover. I stand in line at Walmart, Costco, and Winco (groceries), holding my breath for the total, and nearly fainting when I hear it.

6 weeks ago I had bariatric surgery, so I have to buy high protein, low carb and sugar foods. I can't skimp on them, as I now eat 5-6 small meals daily. If meat keeps rising, I don't know what to buy. And of course protein supplements are higher too. I used to pay $24.99/case of Premier Protein drinks from Costco. They are now $27.99.

What's even worse is that this inflation is going to get worse and be here for a long time. The Federal Reserve is too little, too late. I don't believe they can stop this runaway freight train.
Dog food is a big deal for me. I have 5 dogs and I have for several years cooked the majority of their meat foods. So because of the increase of chicken including their organs, beef, pork, and turkey I have increased their food intake to more store bought foods both canned and dry. Turkey and pork haven't increased as much as the others. Boston Butt on sale $.99 a pound and ground turkey regular price at $1.79 a pound but going to go up to $2 on next shipment.Even ground beef can be found at $2.99 a pound still. The dog and cat treats have really gone up.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Now that I'm retired and making about 40% less than I used to, the fact that everything is much more expensive means I have a lot less free money after all of the bills are paid.
It has seriously ended most of my frivolous spending and has stopped most of my traveling and vacations, etc.

Just going out to dinner with my wife is between $70 and $100.
Filling up the gas tank in my truck is over $100.
Some days I don't even want to leave the house.
For me the price of gas as it is now $4.99 isn't a big deal because I seldom leave town. And going out to dinner is going to the sup shop and getting TC to make me a couple sandwiches to go. She makes great subs for a good price. As for the decrease in income I experienced that 5 years ago when my wife died. It did make a financial difference but got it figured out. I retired 20 years ago.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Really not that big of a deal. When you never have had much, I guess it's just normal to do without or work around less.
How true when I was growing up I didn't know we were poor. But we were happy. It's a shame kids today can't relive my childhood and probably yours too.

Sir Sully

Platinum Tortoise Club
Tucson
I'm in the process of building a house, done in early October.
I'm living in an apartment on the not-best side of town (it's downright bad honestly). My 1-year lease is up in August. I'm currently paying $825/month for a 2 bed 2 bath. The new rate is going up from $825 to $1290

I haven't eaten out in months, but I hear places are now charging things like "employee assistance" fees here in Tucson. Who knows if they actually get any of that? From what friends have told me it's $1-3/check, but it has encouraged them to start ordering together and paying each other back.

Gas is up from $3.49-3.59 to $5.39-5.49 on my side of town. 54% increase in 3 months

My girlfriend is vegan, I am vegetarian. The store can't even stock fresh produce. I haven't been able to do russet potatoes in a couple months, and when I do see a couple I can pick out, we've gone from 69 cents a pound (on sale) to $1.29/pound on sale (used to be about 89 cents and $1.59 regular price)

Rent increased 56% over the last year.
Building supplies Conduit up 60%, cinder blocks up 63%, 2x4's up 300% (over the last year)
Gas is up 54% over the last 3 months.
Our grocery budget has easily doubled in the last 3 months.

Meanwhile, I'm on a fixed income that can't be increased, and it has caused me to become at risk for my home loan being finalized.

Sir Sully

Platinum Tortoise Club
Tucson
Probably should add any supply chain issues with stores keeping shelves stocked in your area.
Don't get me started on this one.

Conduit at my 3 closest (Lowe's and Home Depot) stock is at ZERO, has been for WEEKS
Conduit headed North 8 miles to a slightly higher income side of town, 17 in stock currently.
Head 18 miles North to the multi-million-dollar homes. They currently have 128 in stock.

Same deal for cat food and kitty litter. Walmart, Target, PetSmart, Petco, all sold out on the low-income side of town.
I can't even get them to ship it to my store. So I drive 18 miles North to full shelves.

2 gallons of gas round trip, I just try to consolidate my errands when I need to go up there and buy multiples. But it's hard to stock up when the prices have also gone up so fast.

Produce quality is terrible all over town. Doesn't matter what side. been having to buy smaller quantities because it is going bad so fast. But, then with gas. It costs me more, but I feel better wasting less food.
One day, we went around and took dozens of photos of expired food and literally molded and rotten produce (on the shelves!) It's gotten slightly better with them keeping it clean now, but the quality still isn't there.

Sir Sully

Platinum Tortoise Club
Tucson
Dog food is a big deal for me. I have 5 dogs and I have for several years cooked the majority of their meat foods. So because of the increase of chicken including their organs, beef, pork, and turkey I have increased their food intake to more store bought foods both canned and dry. Turkey and pork haven't increased as much as the others. Boston Butt on sale $.99 a pound and ground turkey regular price at $1.79 a pound but going to go up to $2 on next shipment.Even ground beef can be found at $2.99 a pound still. The dog and cat treats have really gone up.
Interesting to me that you have noticed an increase in treats (enough to mention here) but your food prices seem very reasonable still, I know it's a hefty bill with 5 dogs though. I can't remember the last time I saw $2.99/beef. turkey and pork are still reasonable. So about the same thing you are seeing.

Again, vegetarian and vegan in this house, so we have seen produce quality plummet and prices soaring.

How's your produce situation?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
As they say, location is everything. Reading others' comments, I am so glad where I live. Yes, at times they are out of catfood for the feral or dogfood for my pack... well the cheaper brands I feed. I grew up, stocking up. I usually keep a month supply on hand, buy when I see it. So it hasn't caused me problems. Worse comes to worse, there is normally a higher price to go to or another store.

No extra restaurant charges here. Price to eat out is about 30-40 for the two of us.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Brave thread....

Prices
Delays

and we all know things can be framed a certain way and wording enhanced to indicate emotions......but I don't want to be yelled at again(I have thick skin but I'm not a troublemaker LOL) so these are just facts;

At my office, we build things, labs, secret places for secret people, buildings, data centers. This is what I've done for decades in the DC-Balt-Richmond market. I bid my costs against others that do the same things we do. It's the most competitive market in the country apparently.....that's what the guys from NY and Chicago tell us all the time as we chase them from town<LOL>.

The equipment package (The heating and air conditioning stuff) on the PG County Forensics lab was approx 2.1 mil in 6/21 when it was priced. The EXACT package from the same people had jumped 20% in 1/22 when it was repriced.
At that point, that 20% jump was the largest increase I had ever seen over a 6 mos period, and I started doing this in '80.

We are presently helping Target to turn a 200,000sf building into a 600,000sf building for a couple of mil. We are also helping them with lifecycle and other costing for the next pjt. The equipment, all large commercial Heat Pumps, 60 of them cost;
1.1mil in 10/21,
1.22mil in 1/22
1.40mil in 5/22
1.725 in 6/22
Just a cursory glance tells you over 70% increase in 6 mos.

The lead times to actually have the equipment on the project site used to be roughly 4-13 weeks, worst case. That is 1 month to 3 months.

Today, the lead times are 40 weeks. That is over 9 months.

Come on guys, just facts......I did well...(as I pat myself on the back).

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've been making the majority of my dogs food too.
Chicken, some chicken liver, turkey, green beans and carrot

Len B

10 Year Member!
Interesting to me that you have noticed an increase in treats (enough to mention here) but your food prices seem very reasonable still, I know it's a hefty bill with 5 dogs though. I can't remember the last time I saw $2.99/beef. turkey and pork are still reasonable. So about the same thing you are seeing.

Again, vegetarian and vegan in this house, so we have seen produce quality plummet and prices soaring.

How's your produce situation?
Plenty of produce on the shelves, the price has gone up modestly no great increase. I don't buy much fresh produce for myself but do buy some for the tortoise's though. Collards went from $1.09 to $1.39 around the beginning of the year and no increase since. Carrots no increase holding at $.69 a pound, potatoes I wait for them to go on sale usually $2 to $2.50 for a 5 pound bag. This week cucumbers $.50 each usually $.79 to 89 each.

Len B

10 Year Member!
I've been making the majority of my dogs food too.
Chicken, some chicken liver, turkey, green beans and carrot
I went out this morning and picked up some chicken livers, $1.19 a pound and got some more ground beef for $2.99 a pound. I cook some meat first, then add the veggies and steam everything in the insta pot for the pups. Seems to be a shortage of chicken hearts. Haven't seen just hearts for sale. Still can get them in with gizzard's though.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I try not to pay attention to prices. I know the few cheaper gas stations closest and will just go to one of them. I drive to Michigan at least once a month, 4 hour drive. I try to fill up there before heading home. They are under 5 bucks we aren't.
Airline tickets and airbnb prices is what's irking me. Haven't taken a real vacation since 2019. What I could have gotten before covid for 200.00 a night is now above 3 and 4 hundred a night. Airline tickets for what I want has at least doubled then some.
Otherwise it hasn't really affected my spending or savings. YET!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Gas prices are just terrible. We’re paying about $5.00 give or take (SAM’s Club). The other day about $110.00 to fill up my truck. 😡 Takes the fun out of just zipping off for a long day trip let alone a long road trip holiday (hotels, gas, food, entertainment).

We never go “out to eat” because prices have been outrageous for years. Besides, wifey cooks better & prepares nicer meals than eating at a restaurant (high prices, poor service, COVID). Let alone the cost of a few drinks. Recent Sushi platter prepared by the wifey.

Wood prices (and quality). The prices have skyrocketed & the quality has decreased tremendously. When buying dimensional wood from either Lowes or Homedepot - every single board needs to be examined.
Same with “nice wood” for turning. I used to routinely purchase nicer wood for projects on the lathe……but not so much anymore. I don’t even look at wood that doesn’t include “Free Shipping”.

Some samples of Wifey’s recent 9BD13FD3-F5BD-41AD-AFAB-A66C2650E72C.jpeg917ACC41-0DD9-4C0D-925F-34FF81ECEE10.jpeg3022B4FD-368E-4A09-8BBD-C776B8968FAD.jpegcreations