INFLATION

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Gas prices are just terrible. We’re paying about $5.00 give or take (SAM’s Club). The other day about $110.00 to fill up my truck. 😡 Takes the fun out of just zipping off for a long day trip let alone a long road trip holiday (hotels, gas, food, entertainment).

We never go “out to eat” because prices have been outrageous for years. Besides, wifey cooks better & prepares nicer meals than eating at a restaurant (high prices, poor service, COVID). Let alone the cost of a few drinks. Recent Sushi platter prepared by the wifey.

Wood prices (and quality). The prices have skyrocketed & the quality has decreased tremendously. When buying dimensional wood from either Lowes or Homedepot - every single board needs to be examined.
Same with “nice wood” for turning. I used to routinely purchase nicer wood for projects on the lathe……but not so much anymore. I don’t even look at wood that doesn’t include “Free Shipping”.

Some samples of Wifey’s recent View attachment 346339View attachment 346340View attachment 346341creations
Nice work!
My weekly sushi bill is more than my part time job.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
I have to travel to work and it makes me want to invest in an electric scooter to get to work. Gas is 4.99 diesel reaching 6.00 here in the greater Philadelphia area. Food is 2-3 dollars more than it's usual prices. Never any chicken, chicken went up so much.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
I'm in the process of building a house, done in early October.
I'm living in an apartment on the not-best side of town (it's downright bad honestly). My 1-year lease is up in August. I'm currently paying $825/month for a 2 bed 2 bath. The new rate is going up from $825 to $1290

I haven't eaten out in months, but I hear places are now charging things like "employee assistance" fees here in Tucson. Who knows if they actually get any of that? From what friends have told me it's $1-3/check, but it has encouraged them to start ordering together and paying each other back.

Gas is up from $3.49-3.59 to $5.39-5.49 on my side of town. 54% increase in 3 months

My girlfriend is vegan, I am vegetarian. The store can't even stock fresh produce. I haven't been able to do russet potatoes in a couple months, and when I do see a couple I can pick out, we've gone from 69 cents a pound (on sale) to $1.29/pound on sale (used to be about 89 cents and $1.59 regular price)

Rent increased 56% over the last year.
Building supplies Conduit up 60%, cinder blocks up 63%, 2x4's up 300% (over the last year)
Gas is up 54% over the last 3 months.
Our grocery budget has easily doubled in the last 3 months.

Meanwhile, I'm on a fixed income that can't be increased, and it has caused me to become at risk for my home loan being finalized.
where did you get the 54% increase from? gas alone?

Sir Sully

Platinum Tortoise Club
Tucson
Plenty of produce on the shelves, the price has gone up modestly no great increase. I don't buy much fresh produce for myself but do buy some for the tortoise's though. Collards went from $1.09 to $1.39 around the beginning of the year and no increase since. Carrots no increase holding at $.69 a pound, potatoes I wait for them to go on sale usually $2 to $2.50 for a 5 pound bag. This week cucumbers $.50 each usually $.79 to 89 each.
That's really not bad! Kind of jealous!

Sir Sully

Platinum Tortoise Club
Tucson
I try not to pay attention to prices. I know the few cheaper gas stations closest and will just go to one of them. I drive to Michigan at least once a month, 4 hour drive. I try to fill up there before heading home. They are under 5 bucks we aren't.
Airline tickets and airbnb prices is what's irking me. Haven't taken a real vacation since 2019. What I could have gotten before covid for 200.00 a night is now above 3 and 4 hundred a night. Airline tickets for what I want has at least doubled then some.
Otherwise it hasn't really affected my spending or savings. YET!
I haven't flown in a long time, never done an AirBnB. Definitely something I hadn't thought about!

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
My renewed passport arrived but I was hoping to keep BOTH kidneys....should I start a "Go Fund Me" page?

I know, I really shouldn't be forced to live with myself, Shhh, he's not "right". Tammy understands "more than one of us in here syndrome".....it's cool though, we all get along....LOL

Maro2 and I live in the same general area and everything he says, is true of course, it's very noticeable in slowing traffic speeds and lack of choices, if the product is in stock.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
put an addition on my house a few years ago ,paid $8 for 7/16 OSB , paid $13-$14 a sheet for 15/32 plywood ....... i needed to repair my garage from critter damage ,i was gonna just tear off all the osb and plywood and just put new up ...... went to home depot , 7/16 OSB was $29 and 15/32 plywood was $45 ............... i did buy some 1x3's to put up some hardware cloth in the eves , they were $3 , i bought some of them at the beginning of last winter to cover my pens in plastic and they were $1.50 .......... people are a lot poorer than they were 2yrs ago ....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Regular unleaded is $6.17-6.89 here. Diesel is $7.50. $200 to fill up my van now.

A 2x4 was under a dollar 10 years ago. $1.73 two and a half years ago. $8 each now. 11/32 plywood for my night boxes used to be $12-13 a sheet. Now $40+.

Its hard to talk about these things without talking about how we've gotten here...

What effect has it had on me personally? None. I just keep passing the higher costs of everything to the people I work for and they keep paying it. Its a wash for me.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Gas prices are just terrible. We’re paying about $5.00 give or take (SAM’s Club). The other day about $110.00 to fill up my truck. 😡 Takes the fun out of just zipping off for a long day trip let alone a long road trip holiday (hotels, gas, food, entertainment).

We never go “out to eat” because prices have been outrageous for years. Besides, wifey cooks better & prepares nicer meals than eating at a restaurant (high prices, poor service, COVID). Let alone the cost of a few drinks. Recent Sushi platter prepared by the wifey.

Wood prices (and quality). The prices have skyrocketed & the quality has decreased tremendously. When buying dimensional wood from either Lowes or Homedepot - every single board needs to be examined.
Same with “nice wood” for turning. I used to routinely purchase nicer wood for projects on the lathe……but not so much anymore. I don’t even look at wood that doesn’t include “Free Shipping”.

Some samples of Wifey’s recent View attachment 346339View attachment 346340View attachment 346341creations
Looks very professional. Hope it was enjoyed!

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Inflation affecting us across the pond! Fuel, wood, food etc... I grow my own veg because its summer. Speedy is out as much as possible currently to save electric. Winter is going to be tough as electricity and gas bills will rocket and we all keep our tortoise warm with heat lamps which are electric guzzlers. All we can do is reign in and try to live within new means. Not easy for anyone.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
How much is a liter of Milk Sarah? Just curious.
Here in the States, for the last 40 yrs(other then spikes), the cost of a gallon of milk equaled a gallon of gasoline & the minimum wage equaled the cost of a hamburger at a sit-down restaurant. It still does.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Definatly not the same here as we have fuel duty which adds to the price of fuel. Food is tax exempt expect sugarary goods. Re milk question We are in pints but 2 .11 pint is a liter so just calculated 82 pence is around 1 us dollar. So UK price is approx 1 dollar a liter how much is it for you?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I'm paying $5.89 for regular gas. Premium is above $6.00 many places.

Food has skyrocketed. A head of romaine $1.99 or more. Radicchio is sometimes $7.00/lb.

The stock market is tanked because of the federal interest rate hike (though I understand the need for it).

Dog food is higher. Now that I have Bishop, I have a bigger eater. It's going to make a big difference.

So how is inflation affecting me? It's changing me from a comfortable, not fancy lifestyle, to someone who anxiously checks her bank balance and credit card against each other to make sure there is enough to cover. I stand in line at Walmart, Costco, and Winco (groceries), holding my breath for the total, and nearly fainting when I hear it.

6 weeks ago I had bariatric surgery, so I have to buy high protein, low carb and sugar foods. I can't skimp on them, as I now eat 5-6 small meals daily. If meat keeps rising, I don't know what to buy. And of course protein supplements are higher too. I used to pay $24.99/case of Premier Protein drinks from Costco. They are now $27.99.

What's even worse is that this inflation is going to get worse and be here for a long time. The Federal Reserve is too little, too late. I don't believe they can stop this runaway freight train.
Hope you are now better.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Now that I'm retired and making about 40% less than I used to, the fact that everything is much more expensive means I have a lot less free money after all of the bills are paid.
It has seriously ended most of my frivolous spending and has stopped most of my traveling and vacations, etc.

Just going out to dinner with my wife is between $70 and $100.
Filling up the gas tank in my truck is over $100.
Some days I don't even want to leave the house.
That's what I sometimes do: I stay at home because if I leave, I have to buy something.