INFLATION

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I was in Georgia last week.
(DOUGHERTY COUNTY)
I got gas for $3.99 a gallon and the food was also very inexpensive.
South Florida is getting ridiculously expensive

Attachments

• 20220628_121637.jpg
    20220628_121637.jpg
    1,010.3 KB · Views: 1

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
Haha, Georgia showing off.

I feel like I'm doing strangely well in all of the craziness, knock on wood. Most of the things I miss are because I moved to a rural area: $5 Friday sushi specials, fancy coffee, things like that.

My car is efficient, fuel was only 4.22ish/gal today (often .30+ more in the town I work in). I forage quite a bit because it's a hassle/long drive to get to a grocery store (and lately the produce has been SO bad anyway). Local produce seems to be for rich people though, so farmer markets are out. I've been pampering my own garden and a new little hibiscus plant. I imagine this winter I'll be relying a little more on pellets/kibble for the critters and Dollar General canned garbage for myself, but right now we're just going with the flow.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Haha, Georgia showing off.

I feel like I'm doing strangely well in all of the craziness, knock on wood. Most of the things I miss are because I moved to a rural area: $5 Friday sushi specials, fancy coffee, things like that.

My car is efficient, fuel was only 4.22ish/gal today (often .30+ more in the town I work in). I forage quite a bit because it's a hassle/long drive to get to a grocery store (and lately the produce has been SO bad anyway). Local produce seems to be for rich people though, so farmer markets are out. I've been pampering my own garden and a new little hibiscus plant. I imagine this winter I'll be relying a little more on pellets/kibble for the critters and Dollar General canned garbage for myself, but right now we're just going with the flow.
I am very fortunate that I have access to all sorts of free foods year round for my tortoises.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
A dozen ears of corn will now cost $12!!!!

A DOLLAR an ear? On Maylands Eastern Shore? They grow so much, that it used to be nearly free at 3 bucks a dozen 2 years ago!

Yeah, frightening times. I do not look at ANY gas price over 2 bucks a gallon as "ONLY"

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
A dozen ears of corn will now cost $12!!!!

A DOLLAR an ear? On Maylands Eastern Shore? They grow so much, that it used to be nearly free at 3 bucks a dozen 2 years ago!

Yeah, frightening times. I do not look at ANY gas price over 2 bucks a gallon as "ONLY"
Corn at $3 a dozen and Boston Butt at $.99 a pound here at the beach KIMG0958.JPGKIMG0959.JPG These are from the flyer that ended yesterday. Starting today Pork shoulder picnic at $.99 a pound. I like the butts and shoulders because you can cook them both in so many different ways.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Kerry and I went to Aldi's in Delaware(no sales tax)........

Still shaking my head as the entire paradigm of my retirement is changing before my eyes and my heart really goes out to those on fixed incomes....the stress alone must be difficult to deal with daily. Or young couples that had their gas bill and grocery bills double. ....just so tough to watch that I ignore it. I admit that I ignore the couple with a baby in the cart, making the decision over the cheapest items, because it breaks my heart, even though I had those same conversations when I was poorer. It can't be any easier for them.

$259.23 for what would have cost $450 in Giant or Safeway!

WOW..............$260? At ALDI? Funny thing was that we didn't buy anything different than normal.....that same trip cost $119. pre-covid....only 2 years ago. I know b/c I use a list on my phone with only minor deviations. Same items in most cases with one exception for 36 bucks. LOL

Funny thing.....there is a very expensive Pasta Sauce out there....Rao's...like $10.50 to $11.50 per bottle expensive...same size as the knockoff Ragu selling for $1.99 on sale. Got the picture?

Okay, the RAO's , is on sale for $5.99 and Kerry wants 6 bottles because it's such a big savings & she knows that it's actually, much better tasting out-of-the-bottle, then ANY of the others. I'm arguing from "it's 3 times the cost"

Pro Tip
We compromised.....she got 6 bottles. Jeffrey is not stupid.....this is "relationship gold". I look like the husband-material hero AND I get very excellent food made for me.....win/win!

Try to find the silver linings. in life.....otherwise the bad stuff wins!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I've noticed several things are that not increasing in price during this period of inflation here in the Northern Neck of Virginia. Cigarettes, beer and whiskey, even the flavored ones. All the liquor stores in Virginia are state run.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I've noticed several things are that not increasing in price during this period of inflation here in the Northern Neck of Virginia. Cigarettes, beer and whiskey, even the flavored ones. All the liquor stores in Virginia are state run.
My favorite cheap salad dressing line at Walmart went up 50 cents last October or so. It went up another 50 cents 4 weeks ago.

Like Jeff said earlier, I get the same things every week. My food bill goes up a little bit each week. I'm a little more concerned about supply chain shortages so I may buy 2 of something that"s hard to find in stock.

There are fewer grocery stores in Northern Tulsa suburbs. Walmart, Sprouts, Sam's Club & Reasors are the only options. The Target store has only a partial grocery store.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
My favorite cheap salad dressing line at Walmart went up 50 cents last October or so. It went up another 50 cents 4 weeks ago.

Like Jeff said earlier, I get the same things every week. My food bill goes up a little bit each week. I'm a little more concerned about supply chain shortages so I may buy 2 of something that"s hard to find in stock.

There are fewer grocery stores in Northern Tulsa suburbs. Walmart, Sprouts, Sam's Club & Reasors are the only options. The Target store has only a partial grocery store.

You need to change your TFO location to Tulsa.

Prices are rising & quantities are shrinking! Luckily our freezers & fridges kept our frozen goods very very preserved. Four days w/o power and nothing lost. That all translates into $$$$$

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Gas right now here is about $3.75 a gallon. Our electric bill is rising very quickly. We do not have options for electric companies. You get the one assigned to your area. They have no competition. This past month it was $482, $150 up from the previous month. Some are seeing $200 hikes from one month to the next. The companies in our area are saying it is because of all the damage from Hurricane Ida last year. They have to raise our rates to pay for all the repairs they did last year. We are keeping our AC as high as we can, but the heat and humidity here are horrible. I try to stay home most days. I am entering my third year teaching PE next month and am so thankful. I don't think we would be surviving if it was just my husband's income. Things have gotten so much more expensive. We are having to help out our girls in college with gas money because they can no longer afford it with the money they make from their jobs.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
1658344417894.png

A table showing inflation rate from July 2021 till April 2022, in the U.S.A.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most of our gas is still over 5 bucks. A couple are a penny or two under.
Groceries are ridiculous. I shop mostly Aldi's. Used to get a over flowing cart for 85 to 100 bucks. Now half to 3 quarters full cart is 150 to 185.
I think most of the high prices is gouging.
I have not been affected. Luckily I'm still able to save the amount I'm used to and budget for spending still covers everything with left overs.
Those of you that rely on grocery greens for winter. Ask your grocer for the greens they throw away. My local picks greens off heads, bunches etc every day. There is nothing wrong with them. Not sure why they do it but I take advantage of it in winter for free.
Doesn't hurt to ask and be sure to tell them it's for your tortoises.