Infrared Bulb For Daytime Basking Spot

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Hello folks. I use a infrared bulb (not CHE) for my tortoises basking spot during the daytime. I have seen some people say the infrared is bad for daytime basking spot because their tortoises try to eat the substrate but my tortoises don't do that and they seem to care about the food more than the infrared light. What do you think about it? And i also have a stone under the bulb and they love to sunbath under there. And one more question: I have their stone that I put their greens on near the bulb. Although the food doesn't get hot, some light still gets to the food. Is it harmful? (Im asking this because the infrared bulb also produces some UVA.) Here's a picture of Phoenix basking under the bulb:

Attachments

• phoenixbaskingspot.jpg
    phoenixbaskingspot.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Eating substrate is just one reason to not use them. Tortoises have better color vision than we do. Using colored bulb can mess with tier circadian rhythms, and cause general confusion. Your tortoise need bright white "sunny" daylight during the day. Why would you want Phoenix to live in a red world. Imagine if you were enclosed in a build all day with nothing but red light. What would that do to your mind over time?

There is a complete heating and lighting break down at the end of this thread:

Kansas
Eating substrate is just one reason to not use them. Tortoises have better color vision than we do. Using colored bulb can mess with tier circadian rhythms, and cause general confusion. Your tortoise need bright white "sunny" daylight during the day. Why would you want Phoenix to live in a red world. Imagine if you were enclosed in a build all day with nothing but red light. What would that do to your mind over time?

There is a complete heating and lighting break down at the end of this thread:
👍