Infrared heat bulb

Ernestralph

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
I have an ifared heat bulb for my Hermans..is it nesesary to leave it on all the time?? Currently it comes on 7am until 7pm. Then again at 1am until 4am. It's particularly cold tonight, the lowest temp reading in the table is 57 fahrenheit

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I have an ifared heat bulb for my Hermans..is it nesesary to leave it on all the time?? Currently it comes on 7am until 7pm. Then again at 1am until 4am. It's particularly cold tonight, the lowest temp reading in the table is 57 fahrenheit
I don't know much about Herman's tortoises so I can't answer your question. It's it a red bulb though? They are no good for torts. If it is I'd get rid of it and get a ceramic heat emitter.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You should be running a ceramic heat emitter or a radiant heat panel and it needs to be set on a thermostat. I like a night temp of low to mid 60s if I'm not hibernating a temperate species.

Ernestralph

United Kingdom
You should be running a ceramic heat emitter or a radiant heat panel and it needs to be set on a thermostat. I like a night temp of low to mid 60s if I'm not hibernating a temperate species.
Which is the best thermostat and ceramic heat emitter to get? I don't want to waste money.

Ernestralph

United Kingdom
Screenshot_20190124-190952.jpg these are the items I want to order, are they okay? Also is how I've got my light fixture safe? I don't 2 want a ceramic bulb to melt anything.Screenshot_20190124-190952.jpg IMG_20190124_190817.jpg IMG_20190124_190829.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't have any experience with UK products, but both of those look like they will work to me.

Look like someone sold you that "Pets at Home" substrate with the limestone bits in it. That stuff is not good. Encouraging a tortoise to eat its substrate to satisfy calcium craving is a terrible idea. Fine grade orchid bark works best. Coco coir works well for little ones too. Either of these need to be damp. Dry substrate isn't good for them. It contributes to excessively low humidity and dehydration.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

I use red night lights, black night lights and both have worked fine...it is going to depend on the tort itself....some don't like red/black warmth bulbs and some work them just fine. I personally find that the ceramic heat bulbs quickly dry out the air and substrate vs the red/black bulbs....just my two cents.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

Oh and while I don't house this species....I do know from this forum and from my own research that the comfi range at night for this tort is 60-65 degree F.... :) if you are keeping the enclosure high in humidity then I would not let the temp drop below 78 during the night...