infrared heat gun- how to use?

Meganolvt

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I got an infrared heat gun and I am wondering how to use it. I understand the concept of getting the temperature of a surface, but how do I use it to get air temp? For example, you guys are always asking what are your temps. I can get the temp of the substrate sitting under the CHE, but is that what we're really looking for? How are you guys using your temperature guns?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I use mine to shoot under the basking light, shoot temp in the hide shoot temp any place in the enclosure. I point it at the floor sides roof etc. if you enclosure has all the right temps, the air temp is good.

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
I use mine to take the temperatures of objects or surfaces. Like if i want to know the temp of a rock or water or a heat pad. I usually use a probed thermometer to take temperatures of air. If you point the thermometer under the basking light it will give you your basking spot temperature but not necessarily your ambient warm side temperature.
It becomes really tricky if your using under the tank heaters or heat pads. You could have a surface temperature of 100 f on a heat pad but your ambient temps could be in the 70s.
So i guess to sum up a heat gun is good for hide temps and surface temps and basking temps but less useful for ambient temps.
You can still get an idea but depending on where you point it will likely change the temperature slightly.