Infrared lamp for my sulcata?

Earthmama

The gentleman at the pet store recommended me a infrared heat lamp and a Uv regular white lamp during the day. He said I should be using Infrared for night time. Is this ok to be using on my 8 month old sulcata? She is in a closed environment with cococnut substrate and moss. I also spray with water three times daily to keep it humid.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Welcome to the Forum!

Yes, you do need a heat source for nighttime. Temps should always be at least 80 degrees. Humidity 80%. Daytime basking area getting to 100. Sounds like you let her outside to sun and graze. As long as she is out at least a couple times per week for at least 1-2 hours a time you don't really need UVB bulbs in her inside enclosure. If you do, just be sure not to get the coil type compact UV fluorescent bulbs. The ceramic heat emitter is an IR heater that does not give off any light. That is what most Tortoise keepers are using. Did you read the thread that Tom gave you the link for in the other post you made about the desert tortoises? the basic setup and beginner mistakes should give you most answers.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Red coloured heat lamps should be avoided too as these confuse torts - they see colour and like to eat red things or things coloured red by a bulb.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I second not using the red bulb. A CHE is much better and last a long time. Also, don't put much into what a pet stores tells you. They don't really have a clue, they just want to sell you things that you don't need and that are not good for your animal. Read the threads recommended.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
CHE (ceramic heat emitter)

ch60.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The gentleman at the pet store recommended me a infrared heat lamp and a Uv regular white lamp during the day. He said I should be using Infrared for night time. Is this ok to be using on my 8 month old sulcata? She is in a closed environment with cococnut substrate and moss. I also spray with water three times daily to keep it humid.

No. Neither of those are okay. The care sheet I linked for you specifically says so, and it tells you what you should use.

The coil type UV bulbs can damage their eyes and red or colored bulbs should not be used. Sadly, pet stores are a wealth of mis-information.

You should not need to spray the enclosure that much to maintain humidity in a closed chamber. Show us a pic? Maybe we will have some tips for you about ways to improve the enclosure.