Inherited 2 torts - please help identify

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexkehoe

5 Year Member
Hi All

I have recently inherited 2 tortoises. Please help me identify. Both were found by previous owners in Mozambique, so I am guessing they will be of an African type, but despite reading and looking at hundreds of pictures I am more confused than ever, and want to give them the proper care.

Thanks for any help / IMG00216-20101208-0624.jpgIMG00132-20101016-1609.jpgIMG00215-20101206-0629.jpgIMG00214-20101206-0629.jpgadvice you can give

Last edited by a moderator:

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Bangkok
Uh, difficult! (For me, might not be difficult for the experts)
But if you had clearer pics that would be good. :)

And welcome to the forum!
What I can say for sure is that: they are cute :D

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
They both look like they could be hinged backs but the photos make it to hard to tell. Can you take and post a few better pictures..

And welcome to the forum...

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Hmmm ... Yeah, they both look like some kind of hingeback tortoises (Homopus spp.) to me, too, but I don't know which. They're not necessarily both of the same species, either. The Homopus genus has been under heavy revision in that last several years, and I haven't kept up with the changes, so I'm not sure which species you have there, if that is indeed what they are.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Hingebacks are Kinixys, not Homopus. They appear to both be Bell's Hingebacks, Kinixys belliana

(Homopus are the Padlopers ;) )

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Kristina said:
Hingebacks are Kinixys, not Homopus. They appear to both be Bell's Hingebacks, Kinixys belliana

(Homopus are the Padlopers ;) )

Oops, sorry! I was thinking of Homopus areolatus, the common padloper (aka beaked cape tortoise). I initially thought the colors of the little one reminded me of them, but I do think they're hingebacks (Kinixys), not padlopers.

EricIvins said:
Spekes Hingebacks more than likely......

So either Bell's or Speke's hingeback, eh? Interesting.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Alexkehoe:

Welcome to the forum!!

Is your name Alex? And are you in Africa?

I agree with the above that they are both hingebacks, but we'll need a more clear picture to tell you which kind. Also, if you'll turn them over and give us pictures of their plastron (bottom shell) including the tail area, we might be able to play "guess the sex."

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
SnakeyeZ said:
Nice looking tortoises!

Questions for anyone - Why do they call them "Hingebacks"?

Because they have a hinge on their backs! :p

Okay, teasing aside, here's the answer. Most turtles have a static shell, with both the carapace (back) and the plastron (belly) remaining fixed.

Some turtles (like American and Asian box turtles, as well as the juveniles of some Testudo tortoises) have a kinetic, or hinged plastron that closes the shell completely - like a box (hence the name).

Kinixys species are the only turtles with a hinge in the carapace instead of the plastron. This is why their genus is "Kinixys" and their common name is "hingeback"; their carapace is unique in the turtle world because it moves.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here's a good picture to go with GTT's explanation:

Bellshinge-backtortoise-Kinixysbelliana.jpg

Notice the line in the carapace above and in front of the back leg. This is the "hinge." There is one on each side. The tortoise can pull in his legs and bend the back portion of the carapace down, closing off the tail and leg section similar to a box turtle.

M

Maggie Cummings

Wow, I didn't know any of that, so thanks guys for the information...

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Thanks! I figured they were called hingebacks for a reason, I just could never see the hinge on the pictures of others being posted. Yvonnes picture was helpful.

Thanks for the explanation GTT!

alexkehoe

5 Year Member
Wow ! What a response !
Thanks everyone.
I posted yesterday from work so only had a couple of pics in my phone that I could upload.
Will take some better ones tonight and include their undersides, and beaks.

alexkehoe

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Alexkehoe:

Welcome to the forum!!

Is your name Alex? And are you in Africa?

I agree with the above that they are both hingebacks, but we'll need a more clear picture to tell you which kind. Also, if you'll turn them over and give us pictures of their plastron (bottom shell) including the tail area, we might be able to play "guess the sex."

Hi - yes I am Alex, and have been working in Mozambique for 1 Year. My torts came from a friend who has left after their contract finished, but they had never taken the time to find out what species Meat Pie(the big one) and Dave are! I have to say I was very surprised at the number of people who responded so quickly to my message. I look forward to learning more about these fascinating creatures and will be looking at everyone elses pics with much interest!
:tort:

Status
Not open for further replies.