'Inherited' a tortoise, trying to learn all I can!

Stepz84

Location (City and/or State)
Essex, UK
Hi I'm Steph and I live in Essex in the UK.
We recently took on little Toby, who was my husbands Nan's tortoise.
From what I hear, she's had him for around 35 years but nobody knows how old he was when she got him. I don't even know what kind of tortoise he is?!

I have been 'advised' by family members on how I should care for him, ie what to feed him etc, but it all conflicts quite a bit to what I have researched. For example, he's been living on cucumber and lettuce for the last 35 years and I have read that they shouldn't be fed this?!

A little about Toby... He is 170mm in length (scl) and I just weighed him at 1015 grams. As said no idea on species. Just when I think I've matched him.... I find another he looks like.
He has a very funny personality and loves his head to be gently rubbed.

He has just come out of hibernation (around 4 weeks ago) using the box method... And he is eating and has pooped!

At my husbands Nan's he lived in an enclosure in the garden in the warmer months so we have made one in our garden for him although it's not warm enough for him to go out yet.

Obviously I really want to take good care of him so any advice on any of the above is greatly welcome!
Thanks

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
Hello and welcome to the tortoise life. Well first off everyone will want a picture of your new best friend. it will help them identify the tortoise since they are all different foods and stuff. Welcome again

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

The tiny pic in your avatar looks like a greek tortoise to me. Testudo gracea. There are several subspecies from different part of the species' range. Broadleaf weeds are the best diet. I'll take a guess that if he's been alive this long, then he was eating more than just cucumbers and lettuce. Most likely grazing on weeds and stuff when outdoors in the garden.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:) Hi and welcome. Post us some pictures and we will get what type he is figured out. I have an ideal in my head and am eager to see if I have guessed correctly. :) You may want to slowly modify his diet, especially since for years he has only know those food items. Of course, if he was kept outside in a planted area, his diet may be much broader then you believe. Glad your joining our little family. :)

Stepz84

Essex, UK
Thank you everyone for your replies. I've taken some close ups. He's a bit of a wriggler!
I don't know if you can tell from looking at pics whether he looks healthy or not but if you spot anything let me know. It's all shell and scales to me! ;-)

Hopefully these are not too big.....

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

M

Maggie Cummings

He's pretty. Looks Greek to me, but I'm never right...:) Glad you joined, we'd love to help you....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Steph, and welcome to the Forum!

Using Chris's pictorial at the top of the Mediteranean section I've 'guessed' that Toby is an Eastern Hermanns. But let's give him a shout-out and see what he says - @HermanniChris

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
hello and welcome to the forum.
Glad to have you on board.
Toby looks fantastic as far as I can tell.
you're clearly willing to learn, so have a look around the site and ask if you have any questions.
Really lovely tort.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Toby is a beautiful guy! :<3:
But do you know what happened to his nails? They look awful.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Steph so glad you're keeping him in the family! I'm quite new to tortoise keeping in the UK too. This is a great place to learn about tortoises and how to look after them. There is a UK keepers thread somewhere if you want to find out if there's anyone in your neck of the woods, but it doesn't matter where in the world you are, everyone is made welcome on this site. It has all the advice and help you can wish for from very experienced keepers who only have the health and well being of tortoises at heart. Good luck to you and Toby.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
They are very short, I guess they were either trimmed or Toby had to spend a lot of time on concrete floor or similar.
Let them grow back, he needs them to dig and climb. ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Toby is a beautiful guy! :<3:
But do you know what happened to his nails? They look awful.

To me it just looks like he digs once he settles in for the night - probably against wood or cement.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Thank you everyone for your replies. I've taken some close ups. He's a bit of a wriggler!
I don't know if you can tell from looking at pics whether he looks healthy or not but if you spot anything let me know. It's all shell and scales to me! ;-)

Hopefully these are not too big.....

View attachment 124505 View attachment 124503 View attachment 124504
Hi Steph. He looks gorgeous. I'm in sheffield UK.
That's it now, no more partying, its tort care from now on. Forget out on the town in essex. lol :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi I'm Steph and I live in Essex in the UK.
We recently took on little Toby, who was my husbands Nan's tortoise.
From what I hear, she's had him for around 35 years but nobody knows how old he was when she got him. I don't even know what kind of tortoise he is?!

I have been 'advised' by family members on how I should care for him, ie what to feed him etc, but it all conflicts quite a bit to what I have researched. For example, he's been living on cucumber and lettuce for the last 35 years and I have read that they shouldn't be fed this?!

A little about Toby... He is 170mm in length (scl) and I just weighed him at 1015 grams. As said no idea on species. Just when I think I've matched him.... I find another he looks like.
He has a very funny personality and loves his head to be gently rubbed.

He has just come out of hibernation (around 4 weeks ago) using the box method... And he is eating and has pooped!

At my husbands Nan's he lived in an enclosure in the garden in the warmer months so we have made one in our garden for him although it's not warm enough for him to go out yet.

Obviously I really want to take good care of him so any advice on any of the above is greatly welcome!
Thanks

I would do exactly as the prior care giver did for diet and set up for the garden....which it sounds like you have done....I would not go in and try to "fix" anything, that tortoise looks good, the nails are those of a tortoise that is active (as should be) the cucumber and lettuce are a perfect addition to a tortoise that has free access to a garden and those grazing items.....cucumber and lettuce offer huge valuable amounts of hydration....I would mimic the prior set up for this tortoise...