Injecting Baytril in 2 torts, confused about vet diagnosis? ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
Agreed, but it is still overused by vets whom give it to torts with slight runny noses...

johnreuk

5 Year Member
Hampshire, England, UK
Tim/Robin said:
mainey34 said:
If they are very sick, but for minor RI. I don't think it is necessary. It is overused.

Hence my comment, "Baytril has its place". The statement that "Baytril will do more harm than good" simply is not true!

I completely agree with Tim/Robin. Baytril may also be used intranasally, as can many other preparations. In some cases, topical medication is preferable, and in fact more effective, than systemically dosing the tortoise.

reticguy76

5 Year Member
Definitely stop the baytril. Injectible baytril can and does do more harm on reptiles than good. If antibioitics are needed (particularly fluoroquinilones, which is baytril, amikacin, etc), then oral compound elixirs are best. most illnesses in reptiles can be managed and cured by micro-environmental adjustments (ie, temps, humidity, substrate, etc).

Most vets (unless specifically geared in exotics/reptile medicine, are instilled into their brain that, oxygen, steroids, and antibiotics are what every sick exotic patient needs, especially in avian illnesses.

And before anybody comments on my second sentence above, keep in mind, I am speaking purely of injectible baytril injections, not when used po. Oral baytril definitely can be very helpful in some cases of unmanagable or long term bacterial infections

Snowywood

5 Year Member
Eastbourne
I do believe what Tim/Robin is saying, I feel it has done a world of good for my tortoise. Between Baytril and worming, her growth rings have come on leaps and bounds and she's picked up. She is so small and was fighting too many worms(I'll just add, was my fault, I didn't get her to the vets as soon as I bought them, am forever learning), I think she was better on baytril to cure her infection. Sounds bad, but it was a peace of mind too. But I didn't like getting the meds down her :-(

Everyone has there opinions at the end of the day, it's hard to know which way to go. We all love our babies very much, i can tell that. We just want to do whats best. Its tough.

There is so many reptiles out there as pets, you'd think there be more respectable reptile vets. Am very lucky with mine and that's all I can ask for.

reticguy76

5 Year Member
Glad things are working out. One thing to keep in mind and what I tell clients that call into my emergency animal hospital about more reptile vets. There isnt a lot of "consistent business" for that many reptile specific vets. The majority of ailments with reptiles can be self managed by home remedies and/or micro-environmental habitat adjustments. Reptiles generally respond to their ailments and needs (particularly in the wild) by adjusting to their environment and surroundings. There is still sooooo much that is unknown in reptile medicine than any other animals. Most Vet schools spend bare minimum on reptiles/amphibian medicine due to these factors

Snowywood

5 Year Member
Eastbourne
They are rather complex animals. Most people think they sit in a viv or garden and eat greens. The leopard my mom saved was on that lines :-/ had a light bulb for light/heat. No uv for 6 weeks! It was up setting. She's doing well now. But going back to vet side of things, I guess there is so many different reptiles and knowing there ins and outs etc in another 100 years, there maybe a step closer :)

I know living in the UK it's harder to get the best live style for torts. If I could, mine would be outside more, but not enough uv/heat. I try my best to get them the best set up. Am just doing a new one. I want the best for them to keep them healthily. Uttly spoilt :)

Status
Not open for further replies.