Injured during soaking

Jenna524

Location (City and/or State)
Central Valley, CA
I have been trying to soak my Sulcata, Toki, regularly. He really doesn’t seem to like it, since he is constantly trying to climb out during the soak. I’ve continued soaking anyway, as advised on this site. However, recently, I noticed that he stays up on the wall of the bin in a way that rests the back end of his shell on his legs. When he gets out, he has a tiny sore on either leg from resting and rubbing his shell during his efforts to escape.

Continuing to soak will likely produce sores that bleed. Not soaking means no benefits of hydration (and I have never seen him voluntarily drink water from his water hole). If I use a bin with shorter sides, he would climb out and not benefit from a soak.

What’s the best way to proceed?

Attachments

• CC9558A7-A7A4-4ADD-9CE2-10A71174200C.jpeg
    CC9558A7-A7A4-4ADD-9CE2-10A71174200C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • 92845A44-FAAE-4352-B7B1-84BBC8BAB5E9.jpeg
    92845A44-FAAE-4352-B7B1-84BBC8BAB5E9.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 10

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yes, this easily happens. You could sit there in a chair and keep Mr Tort from doing that (standing up) by keeping a careful watch and keeping him down with a hand or two. Not easy. Another option is to get a much larger soaking bin so that it can easily move about & all around. It’s not an easy thing to do. You could also gently spray him down for a good period of time, but it’s not as effective for soaking/hydration.

The other thing, try to soak in pretty warm water. Fill the pan, let it soak up the sun & warm up. Sometimes the cold water temp makes them want to get out of Dodge.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I agree try warm shallow water in a larger, high sided container. Mine stands up and peeps over the edge but flops down when he looses grip. He also turns / spins and wanders around in the water or just starfishes in the water with all legs splayed. Try bigger container there is a benefit but should not be cause wounds. Let us know.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have been trying to soak my Sulcata, Toki, regularly. He really doesn’t seem to like it, since he is constantly trying to climb out during the soak. I’ve continued soaking anyway, as advised on this site. However, recently, I noticed that he stays up on the wall of the bin in a way that rests the back end of his shell on his legs. When he gets out, he has a tiny sore on either leg from resting and rubbing his shell during his efforts to escape.

Continuing to soak will likely produce sores that bleed. Not soaking means no benefits of hydration (and I have never seen him voluntarily drink water from his water hole). If I use a bin with shorter sides, he would climb out and not benefit from a soak.

You need a larger container with taller walls. I use horse watering troughs from a feed store.

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Use a round tub.

Houston

I put my Baby Burmese Brown in the shower with me most nights. It provides a warm, long soak. He usually walks around the perimeter, trying to get out and often times, he does poop in there (it is fully washed down the drain). Depending on his food intake that day, I may put kale or his favorite, mushrooms, in a corner. There is added water on the veggies from the shower environment and he eats as he's benefiting from shower mist and spray.

(my shower is large enough that he is easily kept away from any soap spray or run off. I am always attuned to his location to insure he does not come in contact with any of my shower products).

Give it a try for yours!