Input on Odin's new indoor enclosure, pretty please!

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USDA Zone 4a+
My son and I are planning Odin's new indoor winter expansion and I have a few (billion) questions.
First things first. Odin is a sulcata, nearly 16 months old and small, around 3/4 of a pound, and maybe just shy of 5 inches.

6x6 with 3 separate sections and climates, incorporating his current enclosure which is 4x2 and 12" high.

Overall: U-shaped with the larger wing being a 6'x3'x18" high completely enclosed greenhouse not including the greenhouse portion. The greenhouse will add another 3 feet in height above the 18 inch height of the base. (greenhouse ordered and on the way, see here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GOO83UK/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20 )
Inside the greenhouse a 4ft fluorescent hanging light fixture with grow bulbs, substrate @ 6 inches deep (mix of organic soil, peat moss and coco coir) and fully planted.
Connector section (bottom right side of the U) 3'x2'x18" with a regular heat lamp, also 6 inch deep substrate with a couple of hiding plants and spaces.
Last piece is his current enclose. There is currently a raised area with a ramp and planting boxes in it, but I think we are going to remove the raised area and ditch the planting boxes, and go with 2-3 inches of a drier substrate (Orchid bark?) and maybe direct plant some cactus and have his MVB and CHE set-up hanging over that.
Liner is going to be shower curtains in all after waterproofing all the wood.

The boy drew up a rough idea of what we are going for. It's not entirely accurate, but it's close enough.
001.JPG
Questions for the planning stage:
With the 4ft long fluorescent fixture with grow light bulbs inside the greenhouse and the room he will be in at @70 degrees, do you think I should plan for additional heat within the greenhouse? How thick should all the plywood be? Do you have any recommendations of the best kinds of plywood and waterproofer? Am I missing anything? What would you change?

edit to add*
We also have an oil heater that we can use to up the heat in the room. It's a lower level room with a concrete floor which can get pretty cold in the winter. The enclosure will be directly on the floor.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
From what I can figure out, I'm not good with drawings, it sounds good. As for temps, your going to get it up and running and see how it's working and add if needed.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
One thing, if you can go bigger, I would go as big as you can.They grow fast.
As with last years indoor enclosure, it is only expected to be a full-time home for about 6 months, and if it doesn't, we are fully prepared to add on as needed.
As an aside, I ordered 2 of those little greenhouses so I can either jump-start his outdoor digs earlier or build an additional indoor wing, or both!

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I'm so excited! The greenhouses could be arriving as soon as tomorrow!
Not sure when we are starting the actual build yet, we didn't want to finalize our plans without seeing the particulars of the green house in real life, and there are some things we are still going back and forth about, such as debating how and if to cover the 2 non-greenhouse sections and looking into the different kinds of supplemental heat options. Once we get it all ironed out I will have a lot more shopping to do.:eek:

Oh, how I loathe shopping.....

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
I hate shopping, too. Unless it's books or for the animals. Then I tend to enjoy it. Unless I'm low on funds. Then I don't enjoy it because I end up standing there with two or more different things in my arms staring at them thinking "Gah! These are such good things! But I can only get two of the things! Which to choose, which to choose?!"

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
The green houses arrived yesterday, but after a painfully long day at work I just didn't have the energy to do anything more than open the box and look inside. I am hoping for the time and energy tonight or tomorrow after work to do a temporary assembly, just to get a better idea of what I am dealing with.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Completely understood. I have a few medical issues that make it hard for me to get up and move, and when I do get up and move I tire out easily, so sometimes I have to push things off to later or even the next day.

Robber

10 Year Member!
MO, USA
Do you have any recommendations of the best kinds of plywood and waterproofer?

I know a lot of people use more elaborate waterproofing, but I think if you use a good primer and paint along with a double layer of liner under the substrate(whether it's shower liner or black plastic, as I use), you will be fine. I have had one of my enclosures that I built as such for over two years and it shows no signs whatsoever of any deterioration...and I literally pour a small bucket of water in it about once a week and maintain at least 60% humidity all the time.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I know a lot of people use more elaborate waterproofing, but I think if you use a good primer and paint along with a double layer of liner under the substrate(whether it's shower liner or black plastic, as I use), you will be fine. I have had one of my enclosures that I built as such for over two years and it shows no signs whatsoever of any deterioration...and I literally pour a small bucket of water in it about once a week and maintain at least 60% humidity all the time.
You think a double layer of liner is necessary? I picked up the super heavy duty shower curtains, not the standard. I mean I can certainly pick up more.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Wow, hardcore! Can't wait to see how this develops! :)

I haven't had nearly enough coffee yet to provide any useful input on enclosure setup...

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Wow, hardcore! Can't wait to see how this develops! :)
Heck...neither can I!:eek:

I haven't had nearly enough coffee yet to provide any useful input on enclosure setup...
Is there such a thing? I spent my drive in to work this morning adding up cubic feet of dirt in my head to calculate approximate weight to figure out how much bracing we will need for each box.......some might say I need to get a life.....

Robber

10 Year Member!
MO, USA
You think a double layer of liner is necessary? I picked up the super heavy duty shower curtains, not the standard. I mean I can certainly pick up more.
Probably not necessary, but they are so cheap, I just doubled up in case I happen to tear one when cleaning it out(I generally use a plastic dust pan to scoop out old substrate when I do a big cleaning once a year or so.)

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Probably not necessary, but they are so cheap, I just doubled up in case I happen to tear one when cleaning it out(I generally use a plastic dust pan to scoop out old substrate when I do a big cleaning once a year or so.)
Thanks, I will add that to the list of potential alterations to the plan. :)